Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nupey10
If your flight is on time then I wouldn't worry about 59 minutes. The tram ( I made sure to clock 2 weeks ago) takes 35 seconds between each gate T-A-B-C-D and a little longer ( less than a minute) to get from D-E and a little less that a minute from E-F.
nice, is this door-open-to-door-open or door-close-to-door-open?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
nice, is this door-open-to-door-open or door-close-to-door-open?
Door closed to door open.
The doors don't stay open long at all LOL maybe 10 seconds. I've never timed it but most times it feels like they are closing right after open.
Now if its peak hours, position yourself near the door to get out quickly. You have to take an elevator up to the gate level and its very difficult getting around people with carry-ons on those narrow elevators
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Is there any way if I arrive from Cancun (CUN-ATL) I can exit thru domestic terminal? I'm flying Delta and will only have carryon. I have Global Entry too
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nupey10
Door closed to door open.
The doors don't stay open long at all LOL maybe 10 seconds. I've never timed it but most times it feels like they are closing right after open.
Now if its peak hours, position yourself near the door to get out quickly. You have to take an elevator up to the gate level and its very difficult getting around people with carry-ons on those narrow elevators
You mean escalator, right?
Nupey10 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by atlocal
Is there any way if I arrive from Cancun (CUN-ATL) I can exit thru domestic terminal? I'm flying Delta and will only have carryon. I have Global Entry too
Since you're ending in ATL, if you land at E, you'll be forced to walk to F to go through immigration. I don't think you'll be able to exit through domestic, but you can always take the (landside) shuttle bus to the (landside) domestic side.
atlocal likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by atlocal
No. You'll be dumped out into the international terminal area. There's a bus to domestic side.

If you're concerned with parking, you can checkin with DL at either end, regardless of domestic/international. Just park at international terminal on way out. Uber/Lyft can pickup either side, and multiple (but nowhere close to all) hotels offer pickup/drop-off at both ends.
atlocal likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by UnevenGray
Since you're ending in ATL, if you land at E, you'll be forced to walk to F to go through immigration. I don't think you'll be able to exit through domestic, but you can always take the (landside) shuttle bus to the (landside) domestic side.
If you land at E, you go through immigration in the sub-basement of E Concourse before getting vomited up into the main part of E. To exit the airport, you then have to take the plane train between concourses and if you don’t have to reclaim a checked bag at the F international baggage carousels, you have the option of going either direction and can exit at T (domestic North/South Terminal) just as easily as you can at F (International Terminal)
SDQBound and atlocal like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you land at E, you go through immigration in the sub-basement of E Concourse before getting vomited up into the main part of E. To exit the airport, you then have to take the plane train between concourses and if you don’t have to reclaim a checked bag at the F international baggage carousels, you have the option of going either direction and can exit at T (domestic North/South Terminal) just as easily as you can at F (International Terminal)
Wouldn't you have to go back through security? I landed at E about a year ago and had to do the walk to F to go through immigration there.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by UnevenGray
Wouldn't you have to go back through security? I landed at E about a year ago and had to do the walk to F to go through immigration there.
Yeah it’s the obligatory light security after you drop your baggage back off.

I’m kind of puzzled by ‘I had to walk from E to F to go through immigration’ because while it can be a long walk in the lower reaches of E to get from gate to immigration within that concourse, AFAIK, the only public connection between E and F is the plane train/pedestrian tunnel which is on the other/you’re officially back in the USA’ side of immigration.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I’m kind of puzzled by ‘I had to walk from E to F to go through immigration’ because while it can be a long walk in the lower reaches of E to get from gate to immigration within that concourse, AFAIK, the only public connection between E and F is the plane train/pedestrian tunnel which is on the other/you’re officially back in the USA’ side of immigration.
Background, which basically anyone who's changed concourses at ATL knows, but just so we're on the same page: there is the underground tunnel from T-A-B-C-D-E that houses the Plane Train but also allows you to walk between any of those concourses.

Still fairly widely known (but I think less universally) is that once you reach E though, if you want to continue walking from E to F, you are forced up to concourse level (while the Plane Train continues underground), you walk past the centerpoint area with OFS, then the Sky Club, and the "Corncorde", and there's another escalator down which lets you take an underground tunnel from E-F.

This last tunnel from E-F has a divider, and though I don't recall ever arriving internationally in E myself, I have seen passengers walking on the other side of the divider, which is what I have always understood people to mean when they say they arrived internationally at E but had to walk to F to exit (which I believe is true if you have any checked luggage AND you are terminating in ATL)
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak

This last tunnel from E-F has a divider, and though I don't recall ever arriving internationally in E myself, I have seen passengers walking on the other side of the divider, which is what I have always understood people to mean when they say they arrived internationally at E but had to walk to F to exit (which I believe is true if you have any checked luggage AND you are terminating in ATL)
My last few international trips have landed at E and we definitely had to clear immigration in the E sub basement before being allowed to walk or take the train to F. Or any other part of the airport whether airside or landside.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
A few months ago I arrived from CUN and after exiting the jetbridge, turned to the wrong direction and only realized I was on the way to F when took the escalators down to the tunnel, so immediately turned around and cleared immigration at E (I had a connecting flight so my bags were going to be delivered at E). OP can do the exact same thing, clear immigration followed by TSA at E, and then take the train to T. I would personally take the bus back to T instead of clearing TSA again. The last few times I have arrived at E, security has been a big mess.

When immigration at E was closed due to COVID reduced operations, you had to walk all the way to F and clear immigration there. So definitely can be done both ways when arriving with a carry-on.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think confusion is because E has no direct exit to landside. If you clear immigration at E you must clear TSA into airport, even if not connecting. Your bags will be dropped on recheck belt, and goto belt claim in F. (Unless this has changed since CV19 hit) (sorta like at old SEA IAF, in satellite, you couldn't just take bags with you, even if SEA was final destination )
atlocal and beachmouse like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:45 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think confusion is because E has no direct exit to landside. If you clear immigration at E you must clear TSA into airport, even if not connecting. Your bags will be dropped on recheck belt, and goto belt claim in F. (Unless this has changed since CV19 hit) (sorta like at old SEA IAF, in satellite, you couldn't just take bags with you, even if SEA was final destination )
This. I can confirm that if you recheck your bag, it will be sent to the F baggage claim so anyone arriving from and International flight who wants to clear TSA in order to exit at the Domestic terminal must know that it will not work with checked bags.

The only place that comes to mind where you can actually take your bags from customs to exit in the People Mover is MCO.
atlocal likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta FO
So it sounds like it is possible to go to domestic terminal ONLY if you arrive at E?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.