Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2023, 7:42 am

Hello everyone,
Another situation I would want to have your opinion about.
I will be flying LIN-AMS-ATL-BOG with the AMS-ATL leg flown by KLM while ATL-BOG operated by Delta. Connection time is 1h30 so pretty tight, do you know if this is the case where ITI applies and if so, can I get the ITI label in Milan?
Thank you
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
You won't get the ITI label in Milan because your US-bound flight is operated by KLM. ITI is only possible on DL-operated US connections. It also won't work if your flight is DL-marketed, but operated by another airline (for example, AF or KL).
pgh234 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Hi all, hoping to get some advice from the experts as I haven’t connected internationally through ATL in a good 8 years or so.

I’ll be on separate tickets FRA-ATL-CLT and then CLT-MSP-RST. My question is are the recheck facilities in ATL full service in the sense that I can get a new bag tag for ATL-CLT-MSP-RST? I have 2h30 connection and skypri. Only curious because I feel that will be easier than trying to explain the CLT-MSP-RST to the contract agents in FRA. TIA
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Marriott Platinum
36 minutes connection in ATL possible?

Hello FT Forum members,

Flying on a Monday evening: LGA - ATL ,36 minutes transit, ATL - SFO (last ATL - SFO direct flight), booked with miles and upgraded with RUC (OL).
Some questions/thoughts?
  1. Is 36 minutes enough time to connect in ATL?
  2. Be proactive, and speak with Delta to book on earlier flight or another NYC airport (JFK/EWR)?
TIA
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by atejwani
Hello FT Forum members,

Flying on a Monday evening: LGA - ATL ,36 minutes transit, ATL - SFO (last ATL - SFO direct flight), booked with miles and upgraded with RUC (OL).
Some questions/thoughts?
  2. Be proactive, and speak with Delta to book on earlier flight or another NYC airport (JFK/EWR)?
TIA
36 is unlikely and excessively tight. I wouldnt do it. MCT is 35, so a sneeze will cause a misconnect.

yes, I’d take an earlier flight and call dl. If you’ve had any schedule changes at all, they’ll accommodate without any problem.
atejwani likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by atejwani
Hello FT Forum members,

Some questions/thoughts?
TIA
Yes, 36 minutes is doable at ATL. if you have a mobility issue it might be too tight but for normal people it's fine

what time is your flight? and is it super-critical you make this connection?

I wonder why people book these first THEN ask question about whether it's too tight or not
atejwani and dcadwell like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:42 am

2 hours Intl to Domestic in ATL & BOS?
FLying to Boston from TPA, 2 hour layover to get a flight to Athens. I think that should be doable without having to rush rush rush? Will we have to go through security again in BOS? IF we miss, what's the likelihood of seats being open in Delta One the next day in April?
Then flying back to ATL, with a 2 hour layover to get back to TPA. Any issues? Redo security?
No bags - carryon only, and Delta One. But OLD :-)
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm not 100% clear on your exact routings, but I'll give my interpretations and you can tell me if I got it wrong.

For TPA-BOS-ATH, 2 hours in BOS is plenty. You will have to change terminals at BOS (from terminal A to terminal E); there's an airside bus that will allow you to do so without reclearing security. If I had to guess, BOS-ATH won't sell out in D1 in April, but of course there's always the possibility that, for example, a company will buy out the D1 cabin for a celebration cruise the exact day you need it as a backup.

On the way back, ATH-ATL-TPA, 2 hours is enough time in ATL. You will have to clear customs & immigration and then go through security at ATL as that's your point of entry into the US. But 2 hours enough time to do that without having to rush, and there are plenty of ATL-TPA flights should you miss yours.
Liphotoman likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 7:44 pm

I am considering the following.
Flying British Airways, business class, US citizen, no checked bags - but no global entry.
Scheduled arrival of BA at ATL is 8:15 PM, will be on a Tuesday (if it makes a difference).
What is a safe connection time, for a domestic flight -- if on a separate ticket, probably with Delta?
Is a 10:25 or 11 PM departure from ATL by a Delta flight doable?
Would it make a difference if wheel-chair is used (ankle problem can act up suddenly, when walking long distance or waiting in long line).
Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 9:21 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
raghu Two hours is probably fine as you describe. BA parks near CBP in F so the walk isn’t that far. I’d think a wheelchair would slow you down if anything.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:44 am

46 Mins connection time in Atlanta Delta Flights

Hi,
I have a question for anyone with more knowledge than myself on connections, I have a flight booked from LHR - MIA - ATL - GIG, my flight DL1323 from Miami to Atlanta only gives me 46 minutes connection time. I guess I will land in the domestic terminal and then will have to catch the shuttle bus over to the international terminal. Will this give me enough time to make the connection, that’s of course if the plane isn’t delayed in which case I have no chance. And also because the DL61 flight is only once a day, will Delta put me up in a hotel for the night if I miss the connection?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
No need to take a shuttle. You can simply walk or take the train between concourses as necessary. 46 minutes is within minimum connection time guidelines but I personally would not do that connecting to the last flight of the day.
jalves and beachmouse like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gopher99
Hi,
I have a question for anyone with more knowledge than myself on connections, I have a flight booked from LHR - MIA - ATL - GIG, my flight DL1323 from Miami to Atlanta only gives me 46 minutes connection time. I guess I will land in the domestic terminal and then will have to catch the shuttle bus over to the international terminal. Will this give me enough time to make the connection, that’s of course if the plane isn’t delayed in which case I have no chance. And also because the DL61 flight is only once a day, will Delta put me up in a hotel for the night if I miss the connection?
There is no "shuttle bus" at ATL. All concourses are connected via the "Plane Train" that runs underground and is pretty efficient. 46 minutes is tight but above the Minimum Connection Time for a domestic-to-international connection at ATL.

Whether DL will put up up at a hotel if you misconnect will depend on the cause of the delay. If the cause of the delay is within DL's control (such as a mechanical delay) DL will (well should) put you up (whether it's a hotel you would want to stay at is a different story). If the delay is beyond DL's control (ATC, weather, etc.) then DL is less likely to put you up and the best you may get is a coupon for a reduced/negotiated distressed passenger rate at an airport hotel.

What I recommend: when you arrive at MIA off the flight from LHR, check to see if your MIA-ATL flight is on-time BEFORE you drop off any checked luggage after claiming proceeding through customs, if you have any checked baggage. If the MIA-ATL flight is on-time, then you should be okay (assuming it stays on time) but if it's posting a delay already when you come off the flight from LHR, before dropping off your bag go to a DL service counter and see if you can be rebooked on another routing out of MIA on LATAM via any of the cities LATAM flies out of MIA as LATAM is a DL partner. If you don't have a checked baggage continue to monitor the MIA-ATL flight and if it posts a delay, go a DL service counter and see about getting rebooked on LATAM
JPG3392 and gopher99 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Why on EARTH not fly LHR-GIG directly? My goodness thats a lot of pointless extra flying, stress, possible delays, misconnections, tight connections, etc.
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Why on EARTH not fly LHR-GIG directly? My goodness thats a lot of pointless extra flying, stress, possible delays, misconnections, tight connections, etc.
I have loads of Delta vouchers that I needed to use up, so I had go via the US. Normally I fly via Paris or Amsterdam as I am Flying Blue.
elsenor and FabCW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.