Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yes. Your passport will be checked at LGA check in AND the gate agent at ATL will check that you have your passport. 50 minutes is fine if LGA-ATL is on-time, but there's not much room for delays there and LGA can experience heavy delays if weather goes through. I'd probably be looking to switch to an earlier LGA-ATL flight for that reason.
AeRoSpaceman and cubeman like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The gate passport check before boarding the international leg is cursory and effectively making sure you haven’t accidentally dropped it in the toilet between the ‘real’ passport check and making your way airside to the plane. They’ve also been playing around with facial recognition in lieu of boarding pass on those kinds of international flights so you may see that there.
AeRoSpaceman and findark like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Flying LHR-ATL, VS to DL, and looking to connect 45 mins after landing.
Carry on only, J seat right next to the door.

Is this insane, or doable?
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Flying LHR-ATL, VS to DL, and looking to connect 45 mins after landing.
Carry on only, J seat right next to the door.

Is this insane, or doable?
If your flight is on time, parks at F, and you have Global Entry, I think it's doable, but still probably insane to plan it that way... per usual, what are the consequences of misconnecting, are there other flights to your final destination, etc. and who are they on. DL is good about protecting across multiple tickets although I don't know if that applies if you knowingly violate the notional MCT.

My strategy would be to book the longer layover and then try to standby/SDC on arrival if time permits.
TGGDEL and DCAhome like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
If your flight is on time, parks at F, and you have Global Entry, I think it's doable, but still probably insane to plan it that way... per usual, what are the consequences of misconnecting, are there other flights to your final destination, etc. and who are they on. DL is good about protecting across multiple tickets although I don't know if that applies if you knowingly violate the notional MCT.

My strategy would be to book the longer layover and then try to standby/SDC on arrival if time permits.
VS will always park at F gate. However I wouldn't count on a 45 minute connection, especially coming from LHR.
TGGDEL likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by flyerCO
VS will always park at F gate. However I wouldn't count on a 45 minute connection, especially coming from LHR.
Thank you both. Interestingly I've been tracking recent flights and they almost all are arriving around 2.45/3pm - well ahead of the 3.45pm scheduled time.
I know that's no guarantee...
Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Terminal F/International terminal precheck time

I’m posting here for lack of a better place. While the TSA website says precheck is available starting 5a at terminal F, it isn’t. The hours of operation are still posted as 7-10a, 2-7p. The line this am (a Friday) is >100 people deep/20-30 min with only two x-ray machines in operation.

*edited to add: they gave the precheck card

Last edited by emma dog; Oct 21, 2022 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: FB Gold
Considering two separate tickets, AF 682 inbound to ATL and then a DL domestic flight departing 2h later. Skypriority, checked bag, Global Entry. Think it's something realistic ?

Yes, I'm aware of the responsabilités/risks if inbound gets delayed (I'm on my own for a new ticket). Did something similar before with a 3h gap with no issues, but that was during covid when no one else was flying, i think all of 50 of us on the AF flight.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 10:11 am

2 hours seems fine, DL will protect you even across separate tickets since it's all skyteam operated.
mlin32 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Intl-Dom times at ATL

Two of us very mature ladies with carry-on bags to push/pull around are arriving in ATL with 1:52 layover. I have Global Entry, she does NOT. I am very concerned about the short layover. We have DL Comf seats on domestic flight from ATL - SMF (5 1/2 hr flight). IF we miss our domestic connection, there will be a long wait for the next flight and we will probably get middle seats in the back of the plane. That is a long flight being in that type of seating.

Can someone advise as to whether they think the 1:52 layover is reasonably doable ????
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Well, hate to sound like a politician, but it depends.

Mostly, you should be able to do this. I recently came through ATL with a family member who didn’t have Global Entry and it took her about an additional 15 minutes to clear immigration. But it depends very much on the time of day and how many other international flights have just arrived. Afternoons are usually busier with all the European flight arrivals, but we all made a connection from landing to the new gate in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, and that was waiting for checked bags. With carry-on only, you should be fine.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by whereishome?
Two of us very mature ladies with carry-on bags to push/pull around are arriving in ATL with 1:52 layover. I have Global Entry, she does NOT. I am very concerned about the short layover. We have DL Comf seats on domestic flight from ATL - SMF (5 1/2 hr flight). IF we miss our domestic connection, there will be a long wait for the next flight and we will probably get middle seats in the back of the plane. That is a long flight being in that type of seating.

Can someone advise as to whether they think the 1:52 layover is reasonably doable ????
It should be more than enough, assuming she's US/CANADIAN. Do either of you have mobility issues? If so request a wheelchair and you'll be brought straight to head of line.

Where are you coming from? We could suggest alternatives if there's delays posted before your flight into ATL.

Worst case they likely could route you via SLC/LAX to keep you in C+.
Old Mar 5, 2023, 1:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist
Hey all,

Just want to confirm with the experts - I'm flying CUN-ATL-MSN and I've got a 1 hour 37 minute connection. This is above MCT and we do have a later flight from ATL-MSN if we miss due to delays, so we should be covered, but just wanted to get some insight on what the process is after deplaning at ATL. Will I have to go through customs, pick up/recheck my bag, and then security? I've got Global Entry which should help!
Old Mar 5, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WaterBottle18
Will I have to go through customs, pick up/recheck my bag, and then security?
That's exactly how it works at ATL. GE will help, though the bottleneck is often waiting for your bag, not getting through the immigration line.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 12:56 pm

RDU-ATL-FCO with 1 hr 7 min layover in Atlanta

Can anyone advise minimum connection time going from RDU-ATL-FCO? Delta has changed our schedule 4 times already. We have a 1 hr 7 min connection in ATL. Will we change terminals, and if so, how easy or difficult is that? I have not been in Atlanta for several years. And we originally did not book such a short layover. When booked it was 1 hr 50 min. We travel May 11. Should we expect any weather problems?

I spent an hour chatting with Delta, error messages and all. I found an earlier flight out of RDU. But the Delta agent said "oh you have no availability in Comfort Plus on the ATL-FCO flight", despite already holding seats and a reservation. I don't understand this part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.