Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GCS2000
flying out of RIC on 9/14/2022
Okay the ATL-ANC flight does not operate Tue/Wed in September, but there is still the second daily MSP-ANC flight at 6:13PM. So there are later backup flights through MSP with DL2143/371, if you miss your original ATL-MSP flight. There is also a backup through SEA with flights 339/1139. With two alternate options, odds are good they will still be able to get you to ANC same day if you don't need to be there at a particular time.
Adam1222 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 19, 2022 at 7:47 am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I’d also add that for me, DL has generally done very well with baggage on short connections in ATL and also retagging them when I had a misconnect/IRROP
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Three weeks ago my spouse, in a wheelchair, and I made a 35 connection at ATL for OKC-ATL-JAX. Our luggage made the connection as well.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
If flight is on time, this is an easy connection.

If air problems (T-storms in ATL or RIC) then 60 minutes might not be enough.

If equipment issues, 4 hours might not be enough.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
If it can succeed anywhere, it will be in ATL. Say what you may about the crowding, some of the gate agents, and state of lounges, yet it is a very well run airport and logistical operations. I have made 20' and 30' connections due to delays inbound and had my checked baggage come through fine, which is more than might be said for other DL stations (esp. LAX and JFK, which have in my experiences the worst records, MSP isn't tremendous either).
Not that this is large comfort, but you could also call DL and ask for a change of flight: I believe that if it drops to a certain connection time (and 35' should be within the range), they will move to a different flight or itinerary.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
If it can succeed anywhere, it will be in ATL. Say what you may about the crowding, some of the gate agents, and state of lounges, yet it is a very well run airport and logistical operations. I have made 20' and 30' connections due to delays inbound and had my checked baggage come through fine, which is more than might be said for other DL stations (esp. LAX and JFK, which have in my experiences the worst records, MSP isn't tremendous either).
Not that this is large comfort, but you could also call DL and ask for a change of flight: I believe that if it drops to a certain connection time (and 35' should be within the range), they will move to a different flight or itinerary.
+1, ATL is my favorite US hub airport because of how efficient it is, it’s truly remarkable and fascinating to me how that airport is run.

About the 35 minute connection, I would not be worried about bags. Going back to ATL being efficient, last summer I was flying FLL-ATL-JAX with 2 checked bags and I booked close to a 2hr layover. I ended up wanting to get to JAX earlier and there was an earlier flight but it was under the MCT. Got to ATL, the earlier JAX flight was departing in under 30 minutes out of E10 and I had come into A2, I ran to E10, got there, they said it was full but I put myself on standby. They said my bag might not make it with it being this tight, however, a couple minutes later my name was paged and I got on the flight. I got to JAX, go to baggage claim, and my 2 bags are the first 2 to come on the carousel, was extremely happy that night!
AeRoSpaceman and Nupey10 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
+1, ATL is my favorite US hub airport because of how efficient it is, it’s truly remarkable and fascinating to me how that airport is run.

About the 35 minute connection, I would not be worried about bags. Going back to ATL being efficient, last summer I was flying FLL-ATL-JAX with 2 checked bags and I booked close to a 2hr layover. I ended up wanting to get to JAX earlier and there was an earlier flight but it was under the MCT. Got to ATL, the earlier JAX flight was departing in under 30 minutes out of E10 and I had come into A2, I ran to E10, got there, they said it was full but I put myself on standby. They said my bag might not make it with it being this tight, however, a couple minutes later my name was paged and I got on the flight. I got to JAX, go to baggage claim, and my 2 bags are the first 2 to come on the carousel, was extremely happy that night!
DL regularly puts bags on next flight to destination. (Regardless of if that is your actual flight) Ive shown up at multiple airports to have bags already there.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:51 pm

I will be flying into ATL from ELP on Delta flight 969 next Tuesday, 9/6/2022. My original flight was scheduled for a 3 hour layover at ATL, but it was cancelled and I was rebooked on the current flight. I am connecting to another Delta plane (66) to FCO Italy. The layover, if all goes well, is 1 hour and 20 min. I have been stressing since they re-booked me on this flight because of the short layover time. I am seeking advise to see if this time frame is doable to make the connection. Thank you in advance for your input
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by toyman79912
I will be flying into ATL from ELP on Delta flight 969 next Tuesday, 9/6/2022. My original flight was scheduled for a 3 hour layover at ATL, but it was cancelled and I was rebooked on the current flight. I am connecting to another Delta plane (66) to FCO Italy. The layover, if all goes well, is 1 hour and 20 min. I have been stressing since they re-booked me on this flight because of the short layover time. I am seeking advise to see if this time frame is doable to make the connection. Thank you in advance for your input
The bad news is that there aren’t really any other options unless you want to leave at 6am. It seems that ELP’s DL service is about the same as when I was flying there regularly in the early 2010s with a 6am and an early afternoon flight to ATL as the only options.

The good news is that if you miss flight DL66 there are alternative options with an extra connection in AMS or CDG. I would write those down in order of preference and be prepared to ask for exactly which flight you want to be rebooked on if you miss your connection.

One last piece of good news is that FlightAware shows that DL969 has been arriving on time pretty consistently lately.
toyman79912 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:42 pm

Thank you for your quick response. I am looking up the flights you suggested and writing them down as plan.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 9:43 am

PWM-ATL-SJO on Delta

This coming Sunday, I have a flight from Portland, ME to SJO via Delta, connecting in ATL. So a domestic to international connection. We have 41 minutes. Delta assures me this is enough time to connect at the airport. Is it? If I check baggage in PWM is it going to make it to SJO with that connection? Ugh.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Christina Roberts
This coming Sunday, I have a flight from Portland, ME to SJO via Delta, connecting in ATL. So a domestic to international connection. We have 41 minutes. Delta assures me this is enough time to connect at the airport. Is it? If I check baggage in PWM is it going to make it to SJO with that connection? Ugh.
You should be fine. Delta will check your bag thru to your destination. Your passport will be checked at PWM. 41 minutes is plenty to make a connection at ATL.
Christina Roberts likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:19 am

Thank you.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Christina Roberts
Forgot to add that your baggage will probably make it on to your connection before you even get on the plane in ATL. They are very good and fast at routing luggage to your next enplanement.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
LGA-ATL with a 50 minute connection to ATL-MUC (All same PNR), I assume either at LGA I'll be handing my passport at check-in there or they'll be checking it at the gate at ATL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.