Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
If your inbound is on-time, and if you're able to walk at a decent pace, and if you study the layout of ATL in advance so you know exactly what you're doing to make the connection (see the wiki above for advice), then yes, you can make it. But even then, it will be tight.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:10 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
40 minutes is plenty at ATL. You will not have time to eat a sit-down meal but you won't need to run.

Is that your entire itinerary? If so, there are plenty of other connection options even if you misconnect.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by pvn
40 minutes is plenty at ATL. You will not have time to eat a sit-down meal but you won't need to run.

Is that your entire itinerary? If so, there are plenty of other connection options even if you misconnect.
Yes. But if i miss i will have to overnight There. That sucks, thanks for the help!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:24 am
pvn
Suspended

Ah, yes, the KLM flight was for a while the last transatlantic departure of the night. The last few times I've been through ATL, though, I had seen it leaving pretty early in the day. I see now they've moved it back to the late slot.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by pvn

Need to go from E10 to f5 so looks like a short walk
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:33 am

Those are today's gates--they could be and probably will be different by the time you fly tomorrow.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:08 am
pvn
Suspended

The KLM flight is almost always at F5. It's theoretically possible it could move to another F gate but it's extremely unlikely. The incoming DFW flight could arrive anywhere.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by pvn
The KLM flight is almost always at F5. It's theoretically possible it could move to another F gate but it's extremely unlikely. The incoming DFW flight could arrive anywhere.
On Google it says today arrive at b27 Tommorow at e10
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:34 pm
pvn
Suspended

I wouldn't trust any gate assignment for an arrival more than four hours away.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
40 minutes for an international flight where you have to be at the gate 30 minutes early? That's tight.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I've got BOS-ATL-SXM coming up. 50 minute connection. First flight out of BOS in the AM and the only SXM flight of the day. It seems that the BOS flights usually come in on T/A gates and SXM goes out on E/F gates.

1) Is this even a legal connection?
2) The only options I see are to take the BOS-ATL flight the night before and spend the night in ATL, or I can risk it. If the risk fails, I spend the night in ATL and lose a day of my vacation.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:53 am

It's legal--the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for a domestic to international connection. What time of year would this be? If it's the winter, I might take the overnight due to the possibility of having to deice in BOS, but any other time of the year, I'd probably risk the 50 minute connection.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Thanks to endless schedule changes, I went from a nonstop SLC-FLL to now flying SLC-ATL-FLL. I was thinking I would be fine with a 39 minute connection, but then they also changed my inbound to an A333, and put me in the back of the plane.
If I change my seat to the front of the cabin, is that enough? Or should I try and get a new set of flights.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by funnyfarm299
Thanks to endless schedule changes, I went from a nonstop SLC-FLL to now flying SLC-ATL-FLL. I was thinking I would be fine with a 39 minute connection, but then they also changed my inbound to an A333, and put me in the back of the plane.
If I change my seat to the front of the cabin, is that enough? Or should I try and get a new set of flights.
I probably wouldn't bother getting new flights. The A333 isn't as bad as certain single aisle aircraft for deboarding (like the 753) as you can crossover between aisles if one side is moving slowly. It looks like there are 3 - 4 flights after the 4PM ATL-FLL depature (5PM, 7PM, 9PM, and 11PM on most days), so even if you miss your flight there should be several backup options.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Exclamation Spirit to Delta: 1:30 min enough?

Hi
I'm taking a domestic flight from FLL to ATL in Spirit and want to buy separate tickets in Delta. The connecting time or time I would have between one flight and the other is 1:30 mins. Is that enough? What if I checked bags at FLL? Would it be better to just take a carry on and make it faster to the connection?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.