Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:11 pm

Examining a new option for a flight out of Belize to Canada with a layover in ATL.
More precisely flight is with Delta BZE - ATL - YUL with 1h45 minutes in Atlanta. Will I make my connection? Do I have to ask anything specific as per the identification of my checked bag (ITI?).
Other option is a 4 hours transfer in ATL... feels like it's too long.
Thanks!!!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
1 hour and 45 minutes is plenty of time to make the connection even if you have to pick up your checked bag. That said, you shouldn't have claim it to due to ITI as you mentioned. You should ask at the BZE check in counter to make sure they tag your bag correctly.
Pralina likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Pralina
Examining a new option for a flight out of Belize to Canada with a layover in ATL.
More precisely flight is with Delta BZE - ATL - YUL with 1h45 minutes in Atlanta. Will I make my connection? Do I have to ask anything specific as per the identification of my checked bag (ITI?).
Other option is a 4 hours transfer in ATL... feels like it's too long.
Thanks!!!
ATL is an ITI participating airport.

Your bags, tagged properly will be United with you at YUL pre CBSA customs.
You only have to deal with US CBP immigration at ATL. Then there is the post immigration TSA security check.

The ITI tag is a purple tag, wider than a luggage tag, with the elastic string to attach it to your bag. ITI is in big bold letter. The DL printed tag will also have ITI printed on it but much smaller type.
Not all smaller outstation have ITI tags.

1:45 is very doable. I done this many time with TPAC arrival on the 777 and is at SkyClub within 30 minutes of deplaning, relaxing before heading to YYZ.
Pralina likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:24 pm

Thanks, guys. This is a relief, my flight is finally booked!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, DL, KE Skypass
A non-FT friend of mine is looking at flights, and this is the one she's seriously eyeing:

DL26 (ICN-ATL): Arrives 7:38pm
DL3953 (ATL-VLD): Departs at 9:13pm

So it looks like a 1hr 35min transfer time I-D, all on one ticket. Her issue is that there are only 3 flights/day going to VLD, so if she misses this flight, her 1.5 hour layover will turn into a 14 hour one (and she's trying to avoid having to do that night drive). She'll be flying economy with a checked bag, but will have Mobile Passport. Does she have to make the connection landside, or is there a way to access security at F? Though it's a legal connection time, is it actually doable? ATL is my U.S. hub, so I have no knowledge about this; figured I'd come here!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mjchick
A non-FT friend of mine is looking at flights, and this is the one she's seriously eyeing:

DL26 (ICN-ATL): Arrives 7:38pm
DL3953 (ATL-VLD): Departs at 9:13pm

So it looks like a 1hr 35min transfer time I-D, all on one ticket. Her issue is that there are only 3 flights/day going to VLD, so if she misses this flight, her 1.5 hour layover will turn into a 14 hour one (and she's trying to avoid having to do that night drive). She'll be flying economy with a checked bag, but will have Mobile Passport. Does she have to make the connection landside, or is there a way to access security at F? Though it's a legal connection time, is it actually doable? ATL is my U.S. hub, so I have no knowledge about this; figured I'd come here!
Immigration is not the bottleneck.

The two major issue are:
How soon the bags come out as you need to pick it up, clear customs and drop bag at onward connection.
Onward passengers need to reclear TSA security, this could be a long lineup.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Immigration is not the bottleneck.

The two major issue are:
How soon the bags come out as you need to pick it up, clear customs and drop bag at onward connection.
Onward passengers need to reclear TSA security, this could be a long lineup.
Right, that was my concern, as TSA security can be...dicey, at times. My question is: where would she be clearing security?That's the information I'm not sure of.

Last edited by mjchick; Apr 2, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mjchick
Right, that was my concern, as TSA security can be...dicey, at times. My question is: where would she be clearing security?That's the information I'm not sure of.
She can re-clear security at E or F. No need to take the landside bus.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
She can re-clear security at E or F. No need to take the landside bus.
Fantastic. Thank you!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
2-hour layover at ATL; is it OK?

Hi guys,

I will fly CDG-ATL-MIA, I was wondering if a 2-hour layover at ATL was sufficient?
Do we have to pick up our luggage and check in at ATL for the domestic flight?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
You should receive your onward boarding pass for MIA upon checkin at CDG, as long as your flights are on the same ticket. So you won't need to talk to airline staff to get an onward boarding pass in ATL.

You *will* need to reclaim your checked baggage in ATL, carry it through the customs inspection process, and then recheck it with the airline afterwards. The process is fairly straightforward, but you should expect it to take about 30-45 minutes including queue times at immigration, waiting for baggage on the carousel, and queue times at customs. If you can travel with carry on baggage only, you'll save quite a bit of time because you won't have to wait for baggage to be delivered to the carousel. Rechecking the bags doesn't require talking to a person - you just drop them back off on a belt, very straightforward and simple to do.

Queues for post-immigration/customs TSA security can get quite long in Atlanta. If you are SkyPriority, CLEAR or TSA PreCheck eligible, you may prefer to exit landside and to go through the ordinary security queue upstairs. Otherwise, the queue in the immigration area is probably as good a bet as any. Expect about a half hour to clear security, worst case, although it frequently will take less time.

2 hours should be plenty of time to take care of all the formalities; you should be at your gate for the MIA flight with plenty of time to spare. ATL is a huge airport, but the layout is very straightforward - it's not a maze like CDG is, and even going between the furthest two pairs of gates can be done in about 20 minutes of walking and train riding. Adding all of the buffer time together in the worst case scenario - queues everywhere, far apart gates, checked baggage - 1 hour 30 minutes should still be sufficient connection time. With 2 hours, you'll likely have time for a quick meal at Chick-Fil-A or another fast food restaurant if you're hungry.

Long story short - relax! Even if the worst happens, there are numerous flights between ATL and MIA and you should be able to switch to an alternative if necessary.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
ATL is the easiest large airport in the world for connections

As Ben said security in the international terminals can be bad at times....other than that a piece of cake
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by BenA
You should receive your onward boarding pass for MIA upon checkin at CDG, as long as your flights are on the same ticket. So you won't need to talk to airline staff to get an onward boarding pass in ATL.

You *will* need to reclaim your checked baggage in ATL, carry it through the customs inspection process, and then recheck it with the airline afterwards. The process is fairly straightforward, but you should expect it to take about 30-45 minutes including queue times at immigration, waiting for baggage on the carousel, and queue times at customs. If you can travel with carry on baggage only, you'll save quite a bit of time because you won't have to wait for baggage to be delivered to the carousel. Rechecking the bags doesn't require talking to a person - you just drop them back off on a belt, very straightforward and simple to do.

Queues for post-immigration/customs TSA security can get quite long in Atlanta. If you are SkyPriority, CLEAR or TSA PreCheck eligible, you may prefer to exit landside and to go through the ordinary security queue upstairs. Otherwise, the queue in the immigration area is probably as good a bet as any. Expect about a half hour to clear security, worst case, although it frequently will take less time.

2 hours should be plenty of time to take care of all the formalities; you should be at your gate for the MIA flight with plenty of time to spare. ATL is a huge airport, but the layout is very straightforward - it's not a maze like CDG is, and even going between the furthest two pairs of gates can be done in about 20 minutes of walking and train riding. Adding all of the buffer time together in the worst case scenario - queues everywhere, far apart gates, checked baggage - 1 hour 30 minutes should still be sufficient connection time. With 2 hours, you'll likely have time for a quick meal at Chick-Fil-A or another fast food restaurant if you're hungry.

Long story short - relax! Even if the worst happens, there are numerous flights between ATL and MIA and you should be able to switch to an alternative if necessary.
Thanks
My flights are on the same tickets.
We will have checked luggage.
In case of we miss our flight (eg if our 1st flight is late), DL will switch to an alternative flight for free?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by LY777
Thanks
My flights are on the same tickets.
We will have checked luggage.
In case of we miss our flight (eg if our 1st flight is late), DL will switch to an alternative flight for free?
Yes, and flights to MIA and FLL are frequent
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Two hours should be perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.