Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You wouldn’t have to worry if you flew private.

Let that be a lesson to you.

Last edited by TheHorta; Apr 3, 2018 at 11:09 pm
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:40 pm

Is 35 minutes minimum still good time?

I am looking at an all delta flight which changes aircraft at Atlanta and the lay over is 55 mins. It is a domesticc flight and only carrying a bag. No checked in baggage. Historical flights from last week show the first flight was late once by 20 mins but the second flight left about 5 mins late only, every other day the flights have been on time or early. Is 55 mins enough or should I allow more time? I'm confused the article says 35 mins is enough. Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If you're a typical human who walks at a normal speed and you can read signs, 35 minutes is plenty at ATL. take a look at the maps so you're somewhat familiar with the layout of the concourses, use the app to get your gate assignments, and you'll be fine.

Some other things to ask yourself: What route are you looking at? Will delta have flights later in the day from ATL to your final destination if you do misconnect? How critical is it that you make it to your destination on this day? If it's truly critical and there are no later flights, you might want to look at another routing.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
If you're a typical human who walks at a normal speed and you can read signs, 35 minutes is plenty at ATL. take a look at the maps so you're somewhat familiar with the layout of the concourses, use the app to get your gate assignments, and you'll be fine.

Some other things to ask yourself: What route are you looking at? Will delta have flights later in the day from ATL to your final destination if you do misconnect? How critical is it that you make it to your destination on this day? If it's truly critical and there are no later flights, you might want to look at another routing.
i walk pretty fast, signs are as good as their visibility. I looked at the map, I can't gauge the actual size but it looks simple to follow.

It's the last flight of the day and it's absolutely critical that I make it on time to my destination so you've got me thinking now. it's the same airline, will they still really just take off without me on the second flight? Even if it's their fault if the first flight is delayed like last week?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by myuser
It's the last flight of the day and it's absolutely critical that I make it on time to my destination so you've got me thinking now.
Book an earlier flight, then. You've probably got a 97% chance (or higher) of making it but if it's critical then fly earlier.

it's the same airline, will they still really just take off without me on the second flight? Even if it's their fault if the first flight is delayed like last week?
yes. yes they will.
gooselee and synergistic like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Book an earlier flight, then. You've probably got a 97% chance (or higher) of making it but if it's critical then fly earlier.

yes. yes they will.
thank you Pvn, didn't know they'll be like that.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:11 pm

I have an upcoming flight on Delta going HPN-ATL-AUS with a- get this- 36 minute connection in Atlanta. My departing flight out of Atlanta would be 8:30-ish and there's one other flight that evening leaving at 10:00pm. Seeing as this is only 1 minute over the MCT, does anyone here have any reason to think I should be worried?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
It's far from ideal, but 36 minutes at ATL is doable as long as the inbound flight is on time. Did you book it as a 36 minute connection or did a schedule change cause it? If the latter, you have a good case to call DL and ask for a routing with more connecting time.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Coming from the rental car center, can I check in my bags with DL and clear security in T, then take the plane train to F? Would rather not lug my bags first on the skytrain and then the shuttle.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Coming from the rental car center, can I check in my bags with DL and clear security in T, then take the plane train to F? Would rather not lug my bags first on the skytrain and then the shuttle.
Yes.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Coming from MBJ, connecting to domestic in ATL. Schedule changes shortened my original connection to 1hr 8min, so DL rescheduled me on earlier flight from MBJ, now creating a 3hr layover in ATL. Is 1hr 8m really too short to clear customs and get to my domestic gate? I see the wikipost recommends 1hr 25m, but curious what others think. Other Caribbean arrivals (AUA, NAS, etc) have shorter recommended times. I'd rather spend the time in MBJ than ATL if possible
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The difference between AUA, NAS, and MBJ is that the first two airports have preclearance while MBJ doesn't. 1 hour, 8 minutes isn't enough to make it through the customs process and catch a connecting flight at ATL.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The difference between AUA, NAS, and MBJ is that the first two airports have preclearance while MBJ doesn't. 1 hour, 8 minutes isn't enough to make it through the customs process and catch a connecting flight at ATL.
thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Well, if you have GE, are seated such that you're one of the first off the plane, don't have checked bags, know the ATL immigration process well, AND like to live on the edge a little...I"d say it's certainly possible to make that connection.

But you'd have to have nearly everything go right. Certainly not a guaranteed even if the inbound is exactly on time.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:27 am
pvn
Suspended

I would guess that a typical mid-level frequent flyer with GE who has entered the US at ATL once before and doesn't have checked bags would be able to make that 68 minute connection at least 85% of the time. It certainly wouldn't require "everything go right". entry with GE and no bags isn't going to take more than 15 minutes 99% of the time. TSA screening would be much more of a wildcard but even that shouldn't take more than 10 (people massively overestimate how long they're in line).

You might not make it to the gate in time for PREM boarding but it's definitely doable, even if it's inside MCT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.