Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
1:35 is certainly doable, but it depends on your wife's comfort level. If she's never transited ATL before or she's not good with directions, I'd book the longer connection to he safe. But if she's experienced at ATL or just making connections in general, I'd have no problem with the 1:35.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:57 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Byebye
how reasonable is this itinerary(flying delta one/first class). on a Monday. (connection time in ATL is 1 hour 35 min)
DL26 ICN -> ATL (lands at 7:40pm)
DL1924 ATL -> BWI (departs at 9:15pm)
That's international to domestic, so "reasonable" depends on how fast she can get through customs and immigration. It's over MCT but not by a whole lot.

(Assuming US citizen) Does she have Global Entry? If not, does she have a smartphone and the Mobile Passport app? If either is the case, I'd say reasonable. If she's a US citizen but doesn't have either of those, the APC (automated passport control) kiosks are likely to be fast enough especially with her D1 headstart over the rest of the plane.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by CKDGM
That's international to domestic, so "reasonable" depends on how fast she can get through customs and immigration. It's over MCT but not by a whole lot.

(Assuming US citizen) Does she have Global Entry? If not, does she have a smartphone and the Mobile Passport app? If either is the case, I'd say reasonable. If she's a US citizen but doesn't have either of those, the APC (automated passport control) kiosks are likely to be fast enough especially with her D1 headstart over the rest of the plane.
She doesn't travel internationally much (no Global Entry) so I just booked the longer connection. I'm assuming she'll have to pick up her bags to go through customs and then recheck them on the other side?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: DL GM
Not exactly connection time related, but more of connecting when going through customs.

Will be traveling through ATL next week inbound from YYZ and continuing on domestically. I'll be traveling with a single carryon.

It's my understanding that the return to terminal TSA checkpoints after customs in E or F dont have a PreCheck line.

And that if you land in E (with no checked bags) that it's best to go to customs in F (even if landed in E, guess there is a walkway or sorts?) so you can exit with the Atlanta pax then run upstairs to the PreCheck line.

Is any or all of this correct? I have only done customs in Atlanta landing at F and Atlanta being my final destination each time. First time connecting after customs in Atlanta.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:08 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If you're originating at YYZ, you'll go thru US Immigration and Customs at YYZ. It's called Pre-clearance. At ATL, you'll get off the plane - EXACTLY as if you flew in on a domestic flight.

I've read here that, Pre-clearance at YYZ can take a while. Give yourself some extra time there.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Comarm
Not exactly connection time related, but more of connecting when going through customs.

Will be traveling through ATL next week inbound from YYZ and continuing on domestically. I'll be traveling with a single carryon.

It's my understanding that the return to terminal TSA checkpoints after customs in E or F dont have a PreCheck line.

And that if you land in E (with no checked bags) that it's best to go to customs in F (even if landed in E, guess there is a walkway or sorts?) so you can exit with the Atlanta pax then run upstairs to the PreCheck line.

Is any or all of this correct? I have only done customs in Atlanta landing at F and Atlanta being my final destination each time. First time connecting after customs in Atlanta.
Originally Posted by davetravels
If you're originating at YYZ, you'll go thru US Immigration and Customs at YYZ. It's called Pre-clearance. At ATL, you'll get off the plane - EXACTLY as if you flew in on a domestic flight.

I've read here that, Pre-clearance at YYZ can take a while. Give yourself some extra time there.
Pre clearances YYZ US bound is bad in mornings, more so on Mondays.
The other rush is Thursday afternoon/evenings.

You will just head to you ATL departure gate after landing as a domestic arrival as US CBP has processed you before departure in Toronto.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

Not that is applicable to you, but Pre-check in Terminal F is often closed. If the downstairs line is backed up, the upstairs regular line is still likely shorter.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 24, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Not that is applicable to you, but Pre-check in Terminal E is often closed. If the downstairs line is backed up, the upstairs regular line is still likely shorter.
I think you mean F. Either way, lack of precheck at E and downstairs F with the extremely limited upstairs F precheck hours make reclearing TSA in Atlanta the most frustrating part of the experience.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
I think you mean F. Either way, lack of precheck at E and downstairs F with the extremely limited upstairs F precheck hours make reclearing TSA in Atlanta the most frustrating part of the experience.
You are correct, I mean F. Thank you for the clarification. I'll go back and change the post.

FWIW, I have NEVER been in F, and I do mean F, thank you, when PC has been open, and I'm there frequently.

One more thing, a poster mentioned that if you land in E he "guess(es) there is a walkway or sorts" to F. There is, but it is very, very long. There are some moving sidewalks, but it still takes a long time. Every time I've done the walk, there is someone who has never done it before carping about how long it takes. You probably would not want to take that walk if you land in E and are connecting to a domestic flight in ATL, given PC will likely not be open. Any time saved not waiting in the line at E will be lost getting to F, going upstairs, getting back to the train in F once you are back within security and riding back to the domestic gates.

And for all you know, Qatar may be offloading their giant flight at the same time backing up Immigration at F, which you won't know until you get there.

Last edited by CJKatl; Aug 24, 2017 at 8:05 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
One more thing, a poster mentioned that if you land in E he "guess(es) there is a walkway or sorts" to F. There is, but it is very, very long. There are some moving sidewalks, but it still takes a long time. Every time I've done the walk, there is someone who has never done it before carping about how long it takes. You probably would not want to take that walk if you land in E and are connecting to a domestic flight in ATL, given PC will likely not be open. Any time saved not waiting in the line at E will be lost getting to F, going upstairs, getting back to the train in F once you are back within security and riding back to the domestic gates.
Just so the thread is clear here, as I believe it is elsewhere, for passengers landing at E with checked bags:

-passengers terminating at ATL will have their bags show up at F only
-passengers connecting onward will have their bags show up at E only

If you're landing at F, or didn't check any bags, this limitation does not apply, but the option to head from E to F to re-clear there with checked baggage does not exist.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:58 am

Yes. The poster in 2359 asked about carry-on only, but darting from E to F does not work with a checked bag.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:16 am

Thanks for all the helpful info. I didnt know about the pre-clearance in YYZ. Do they have GE kiosks?

Although my flights are CHA-ATL-YYZ-DTW-NRT-DTW-YYZ-ATL-CHA (there was a cheap biz fare posted in the Premium Deals board for YYZ-DTW-NRT) will probably flag "too many border crossings in x amount of time", and may reject my global entry.

Saw that happen to a pax next to me at the GE kiosk in JFK earlier this year.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks for all the helpful info. I didnt know about the pre-clearance in YYZ. Do they have GE kiosks?
Yes, both terminals at YYZ have GE kiosk.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:33 am

Yes. More important, there are expedited lanes, but you may need to show your wallet card, so make sure you have it with you. At YYZ near the DL kiosks, these are on the far end, by the side wall. Like everything at YYZ, there isn't good signage so you might need to ask someone to point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 am

Cool thanks again for all the helpful info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.