Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Rubinae
Flying LGA-ATL-CUN on WN with a 1hr connection in ATL. Is that enough time? WN will check my luggage through to CUN, right? I never flew through ATL before. TIA!
FYI this is the DL forum. However, yes shouldn't be a problem. WN gates are all right next to each other.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:42 pm

Ah, sorry! I was googling ATL connection time and this came up first so I didn't even think to check. But thank you so much for answering!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
JNB-ATL-MSP with 1:26 in ATL

Looks like 1:25 is legal so 1:26 is over that threshold. Should be fun navigating ATL after a 16+ hour flight. I called and they said it was a valid connection. I'm going JNB-ATL-MSP-LAX as they weren't able to route me JNB-ATL-LAX after a sked change from JNB-CDG-SEA-LAX.

At least I'll get in earlier and get to try D1 on the JNB-ATL segment.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Why couldn't they route you JNB-ATL-LAX?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Why couldn't they route you JNB-ATL-LAX?
Good question. I asked and they said only routing that was available to change to would be through MSP. I'll call again. Trip isn't until next April.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Sounds like a HUCA. Research the flights you want first, then call and say "I'd like to be on flight 111 from JNB-ATL and 222 from ATL-LAX, leaving at time x." If you let them suggest flights to you instead, you often won't like the results.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:59 pm

Sounds like a HUCA. Research the flights you want first, then call and say "I'd like to be on flight 111 from JNB-ATL and 222 from ATL-LAX, leaving at time x." If you let them suggest flights to you instead, you often won't like the results.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. There's a 777 heading to LAX later in the morning.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
If for some weird reason they won't put you on ATL-LAX you can always try SDC after you land in ATL.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
If for some weird reason they won't put you on ATL-LAX you can always try SDC after you land in ATL.
However the daily 777 fills up quickly. I would have asked if KL KNB-AMS-LAX was available. Would have kept you on widebodies and the service (meal) has been upgraded on JNB-AMS.

is this award or revenue? Award issue is partners cant be forced to give seats. DL can open space on their own metal. However revenue, DL/AF/KL are in JV and they split costs/revenue regradless of metal. Thus they can rebook onto KL/AF regardless of availability.

Never take the option given if you don't like it. Especially for JNB, DL systems seem to try and force ATL over AMS/CDG/LHR.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:22 am

My fiancé and I are flying from Heathrow-MCO via Atlanta in October. I booked direct through Delta so the journey is all on 1 ticket, but the flight from Heathrow to Atlanta is operated by Virgin Atlantic (DL4364). Schedule changes have left us with a 1 hour 25 minute connection time at Atlanta. Is that enough time to get off the Virgin flight, pick up our checked luggage, go through immigration, check the luggage back in and then get to our gate for our Delta flight (DL2844)?

I see the MCT listed in the wiki is 1 hour 25 minutes for Delta-Delta flights, but since this will be a Virgin-Delta flight and we need to go through immigration, will we need more time?

Originally I think we had a 1 hour 50 minute connection so I wasn't too worried about sitting towards the front of the plane. We're in economy seats 40A & 40C on an airbus A340-600 and unfortunately there aren't any available seats closer to the front of the plane.

My booking on the delta website says we may be able to change the flights free of charge - just wanted your views before I contact Delta. Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:36 am

It turns out MCT for a VS->DL international to domestic connection at ATL is 1 hour 25 minutes, same as a DL->DL international to domestic connection. This makes sense as the process is identical whether your inbound is on VS or DL; go through immigration, get your checked bag (if any), go through customs, drop off your checked bag (if any) at the DL transfer desk, and go back through security. So you should be fine with 85 minutes, but you won't have time to dawdle, and your inbound needs to be on-time. If you do end up missing the ATL-MCO flight, there's a flight on that route every hour, so you shouldn't have a problem getting on a later one.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:39 am

It turns out MCT for a VS->DL international to domestic connection at ATL is 1 hour 25 minutes, same as a DL->DL international to domestic connection. This makes sense as the process is identical whether your inbound is on VS or DL; go through immigration, get your checked bag (if any), go through customs, drop off your checked bag (if any) at the DL transfer desk, and go back through security. So you should be fine with 85 minutes, but you won't have time to dawdle, and your inbound needs to be on-time. If you do end up missing the ATL-MCO flight, there's a flight on that route every hour, so you shouldn't have a problem getting on a later one.
Great - thank you. I was hoping that would be the case. We're fast walkers anyway so shouldn't be a problem if our inbound flight is on time and we familiarise ourselves with the layout in advance
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:23 am

Is Mobile Passport available in both E and F terminals, or only in the International Terminal (F)? I have a Delta flight CDG-ATL that has been bouncing between those two terminals recently.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you feel you want a bit more time, call DL. They should be willing to put you on an earlier DL flight to ATL to increase MCT. Main benefit here is that coach on a DL 767 is better than coach on VS A340.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: United
Looking for a flight for my wife.

how reasonable is this itinerary(flying delta one/first class). on a Monday. (connection time in ATL is 1 hour 35 min)
DL26 ICN -> ATL (lands at 7:40pm)
DL1924 ATL -> BWI (departs at 9:15pm)

or should I just put her on this one:
DL374 ATL -> DCA (departs at 10:05pm)

Thanks for your insight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.