Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Andrew DiMaio
Thanks for the quick response. We are row 17 so not too far back. There isn't any earlier flights from BWI but there is a flight from ATL to NAS a couple hours later. Do you know anything about the "legal connection time" rules. Do I have leverage to push for a free flight change? It looks like according to the original post that we should have at least 40 minutes for a domestic > international flight.

Thanks
I would suggest calling DL now and asking to switch to the later NAS flight. Explain that due to a schedule change, your connection time seems too short and you dont want to miss your intl connection. I'd be very surprised if they don't let you switch to the later flight for free so long as seats are available.

You may not end up with the best seats on the new flight, and perhaps you'll run early on the day of and realize you could have made the original flight, but a 2 hour wait for some easier nerves and less worry is probably worth it in this case.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
I would suggest calling DL now and asking to switch to the later NAS flight. Explain that due to a schedule change, your connection time seems too short and you dont want to miss your intl connection. I'd be very surprised if they don't let you switch to the later flight for free so long as seats are available.

You may not end up with the best seats on the new flight, and perhaps you'll run early on the day of and realize you could have made the original flight, but a 2 hour wait for some easier nerves and less worry is probably worth it in this case.
Yea I just called. They gave me some BS about how they can't just change the connecting flight but said I would be on one of the 3 other later flights if I miss the first one. Looks like there is a pattern of our incoming flight either landing at D or A with out outbound flight also being at D so I could get very lucky or very unlucky...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Yea I just called. They gave me some BS about how they can't just change the connecting flight but said I would be on one of the 3 other later flights if I miss the first one. Looks like there is a pattern of our incoming flight either landing at D or A with out outbound flight also being at D so I could get very lucky or very unlucky...
Try again. Next agent may well allow the change.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Try again. Next agent may well allow the change.
This. Try again.

If NAS uses the int'l MCT, your connection is in violation and they MUST change the flights for you. If for some reason NAS is allowed to use the domestic MCT, you're still within 1 minute which is close enough that a nice agent will do it for you.

In both cases, the only reason an agent would literally be unable to make the change is if the later ATL-NAS flight is already sold out (in which case I'd argue you should push even harder for a change to the one after that, as it shows that all flights on that route may be very close to capacity that day).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
This. Try again.

If NAS uses the int'l MCT, your connection is in violation and they MUST change the flights for you. If for some reason NAS is allowed to use the domestic MCT, you're still within 1 minute which is close enough that a nice agent will do it for you.

In both cases, the only reason an agent would literally be unable to make the change is if the later ATL-NAS flight is already sold out (in which case I'd argue you should push even harder for a change to the one after that, as it shows that all flights on that route may be very close to capacity that day).
I called back the agent this time was worse... Said it's a legal connection because it's the way I purchased the flight and not a schedule change... I'm not going to keep arguing with them. The flight I booked usually lands 20-30 minutes early so hopefully we get lucky and worst case scenario, we leave on the flight an hour later. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
NAS must be considered a domestic destination because I can see the 36 minute connection for next Friday, 3/3, just by doing a dummy BWI-NAS booking on dl.com. Maybe because NAS has Preclearance it's considered domestic?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
MCT for precleared arrivals

IME: Precleared arrivals are domestic for the purpose of logistics and legal connection time calculations
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I booked a flight SIN-NRT-ATL-DTW-LAX with only a 1:21 cxn in ATL arriving from Tokyo. It usually arrives early and I have Global Entry (and other more direct options getting back to LAX). Just seemed pretty tight for an I-D cxn in ATL.

No time for a quick shower this trip.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called back the agent this time was worse... Said it's a legal connection because it's the way I purchased the flight and not a schedule change... I'm not going to keep arguing with them. The flight I booked usually lands 20-30 minutes early so hopefully we get lucky and worst case scenario, we leave on the flight an hour later. Thanks for all the help guys!
Ahh, my bad. I thought you had had a schedule change that resulted in the short layover - not that the 36 min connection was what was originally booked. In that case, I'd definitely understand that the agents are being less flexible.

In any case, good luck with your trip! Hopefully you'll get some strong tailwinds coming down from BWI and nearby gates in ATL.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming flight PNS-ATL-MIA with a 40 minute connection in ATL. When the flight was first booked, it had a 75 Minute connection but Delta had a schedule change and now I'm stuck with that connection.

I'm a bit worried because i'll be travelling with my 2 year old son and asked Delta if they could re-book us onto another flight, but they declined and said we'll be fine. The good thing is, that there are 2 more flights to MIA on the same day, so if anything were to happen we would probably still get there on the same day.

But still, my question is: is there a way to find out in advance, which concourse our flights will arrive / depart from at ATL?
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Unfortunately, no. You can go to flightstats.com and look up the historical information for the flight to see which gates the flights have usually used, but I doubt even DL knows which concourses the flights will use on a given day until the day of the flight.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:50 am

Thank you!

Fortunately, there was another schedule change and we now have 1 hour to make our connection. Knowing that those extra 20 minutes can make a real difference, I feel much more comfortable now.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:11 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by bacchus85
Hi everyone,

I have an upcoming flight PNS-ATL-MIA with a 40 minute connection in ATL. When the flight was first booked, it had a 75 Minute connection but Delta had a schedule change and now I'm stuck with that connection.

I'm a bit worried because i'll be travelling with my 2 year old son and asked Delta if they could re-book us onto another flight, but they declined and said we'll be fine. The good thing is, that there are 2 more flights to MIA on the same day, so if anything were to happen we would probably still get there on the same day.

But still, my question is: is there a way to find out in advance, which concourse our flights will arrive / depart from at ATL?
If you use the app, you can check in "my trips". Gate assignments for the incoming flight to ATL will usually not be given until a couple of hours before arrival, so you may or may not be able to get the info before you leave PNS, and of course sometimes it will change. Once you hit the ground in ATL, while you're taxiing to the gate, though, the app should be pretty accurate.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
If you use the app, you can check in "my trips". Gate assignments for the incoming flight to ATL will usually not be given until a couple of hours before arrival, so you may or may not be able to get the info before you leave PNS, and of course sometimes it will change. Once you hit the ground in ATL, while you're taxiing to the gate, though, the app should be pretty accurate.
Thanks, that's a great idea! I'll definitely download the app for the trip.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:56 am

What's the fastest way to get from domestic south to international terminal? I have 77 minutes sitting fairly far up front (16) on my MD-88 inbound from Dallas, going to LHR. Should I take shuttle or plane train?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.