Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Thanks.

Looks like I can do PHL-ATL-LAX as well. There is a morning flight with an hour of connection time or another flight with 2 hours 20 minutes of connection time. Do you think the extra 1 hour and 20 minutes is worth waiting for or could the 1 hour be sufficient (thought it might not be comforting)?
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would book PHL-ATL-LAX with an hour if that hour were in the morning or early afternoon, especially when there was another midday connection only an hour twenty later.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:13 am

Tight connection in ATL

So I've got a 37 minute connection in ATL tomorrow, which I'm almost positive I'm going to miss - I've got to go from gate C52 to A01, and I think that's going to be impossible even if I sprint the entire time. What will Delta do with me if I miss that connection?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
First, the gates are likely to change. 37 minutes is enough time if everything goes perfectly which it NEVER does in ATL. What are the flights and times?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:16 am

Dl5138 12:04
dl1400 2:54
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I've got to go from gate C52 to A01, and I think that's going to be impossible even if I sprint the entire time.
You can make that in under 10 with a brisk walk, walking up/down the escalator instead of remaining stationary, and a hop on the tram. I've made sub-20min connections from D40 to T1 with stop for a bathroom break.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:22 am

Looks like the flights ATL BOS are nearly full tomorrow. Couple of F seats but no Y seats until 8pm. Only 2 y seats open tomorrow that I can see. What is your status and fare. Looks like it could be a long night if you miss it. If not in FC and no status, might want to call today and see what your options are. They are good about working with you if they have shortened your connection below what the computer says is valid (which this is)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
They are good about working with you if they have shortened your connection below what the computer says is valid (which this is)
Valid cx time in ATL is 35 min, no?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: DL FO
you can do it.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Valid cx time in ATL is 35 min, no?
Maybe I mis-spoke. My understanding is that Delta sets a minimum connection time for each airport---example LAX is 70 minutes. Not saying that they wont make connections shorter than that, but these times are listed for each airport. I think it mainly comes into play with misshandled baggage and transfers to/from other airlines. I believe it in some way limits their responsibility for IROPS if a passenger, on his/her own, makes arrangements with shorter connections than this. As I said, Delta breaks these minumums all the time, but if your schedule changes and it falls below this threshold, you will usually recieve the email telling you that you may miss your connection. I have found that Delta is pretty accomodating when a change causes a connection time to fall below that threshold. If you want to know specific minimum connection time, the agents can pull it up in the computer.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by tomthebomb193
Dl5138 12:04
dl1400 2:54
Why did you book FNT-ATL-BOS rather than FNT-DTW-BOS.

For me it would need to be dirt cheap compered to the flight through DTW. A lot longer on an RJ. flying through ATL rather than DTW. Probably a lot more time involved for the trip

BTW, you should have no problem unless a big delay on the FNT-ATL
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
EF shows a 63% on time with avg delay over last 2 months of 48min for FNT ATL.. Unsure how accurate these numbers are but I cant remember the last time I pulled up to a gate on time in ATL. If you booked through ATL for a specific reason, keep the flight. If you booked the flight knowing there was a short connection, you are probably out of luck. If the connection time was dramatically shortened, I would use this to try to get a better route.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
I made it from A6 to E12 in 12 mins a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't fun, but I did it. 37 mins shouldn't be a problem if, as others have said, your inbound is on-time (of course today you'd be SOL based on the inbound delay).
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Phil2016
I made it from A6 to E12 in 12 mins a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't fun, but I did it. 37 mins shouldn't be a problem if, as others have said, your inbound is on-time (of course today you'd be SOL based on the inbound delay).
Again gate checked on an RJ could reduce your time by 5 - 10 Minutes.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
Why did you book FNT-ATL-BOS rather than FNT-DTW-BOS.

For me it would need to be dirt cheap compered to the flight through DTW. A lot longer on an RJ. flying through ATL rather than DTW. Probably a lot more time involved for the trip

It was $150 cheaper than the FNT-DTW-BOS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.