Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a widebody, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL DM
ATL domestic to international connection time

I booked a flight from SLC-JNB through ATL. The connection time in ATL is 40 minutes.

Is this too close for comfort? It was a valid connection and DL says its good. I'm guessing I will need to transfer to the new Intl terminal?
Old May 30, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JDErickson
I booked a flight from SLC-JNB through ATL. The connection time in ATL is 40 minutes.

Is this too close for comfort? It was a valid connection and DL says its good. I'm guessing I will need to transfer to the new Intl terminal?
Doable, but really cutting it close (especially if an afternoon/evening connection during the summer storm season). You should definitely be able to make it to any gate from any other gate in under 20 minutes though.

Doesn't boarding for most international flights start 50 minutes before departure? If so, you may have to gate-check bags boarding so late.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Might be cutting it really close. ATL is notorious for landing on time then sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes looking for an open gate.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I check EF, it does say 40 minutes is the minimum connect time for DL/DL domestic to int'l flights, but there IS an exception . . . .

DL-DL DI .40
DL-DL DI .50 EQP 777 - ALL

If I understand this correctly, it's 50 minutes when connecting to a B777.

That said, when I use June 20 as a test date, and check DL.com schedules for SLC/JNB, the latest connection offered is DL1912 connecting to DL200, arriving ATL at 4:58 PM and departing at 7:35 PM.

I'd call back, get a different operator, and try to change it to an earlier departure from SLC. If you miss it, you'll be stuck there for at least a whole day!
Old May 30, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
When I check EF, it does say 40 minutes is the minimum connect time for DL/DL domestic to int'l flights, but there IS an exception . . . .

DL-DL DI .40

Why would the equipment for the flight you are connecting TO matter?

I could see an increased MCT to DISEMBARK from a large plane (if at the rear), as it takes longer to hit the concourse running... But to make it on a flight, all you have to do is scan your BP before the door closes. They don't close the door for a 777 earlier than for other equipment types do they?
Old May 30, 2012, 3:50 pm
Suspended

DOM to INT'l in ATL

Originally Posted by JDErickson

It will be close. The problem during the summer in the south is storms. Delays are common. I always take the flight BEFORE the connecting flight, giving me time to relax in the SkyClub. Good luck.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dcline414
Why would the equipment for the flight you are connecting TO matter?

I could see an increased MCT to DISEMBARK from a large plane (if at the rear), as it takes longer to hit the concourse running... But to make it on a flight, all you have to do is scan your BP before the door closes. They don't close the door for a 777 earlier than for other equipment types do they?
Well, I was thinking that. I figure that if you're flying on a B777, the flight would begin boarding earlier than, say, a B737 going to Belize. Just a thought.

Anyway, regardless, I'd say, unless the OP would enjoy a possible night in Atlanta, he/she should try'n take an earlier flight from SLC/ATL.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
DL-DL DI .40

No ... that means the MCT is 50 mins when connecting FROM a 777 to any other aircraft/flight (subject to other gate/flight number specifics which were not quoted).
Old May 30, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
No ... that means the MCT is 50 mins when connecting FROM a 777 to any other aircraft/flight (subject to other gate/flight number specifics which were not quoted).
Perhaps, but, now that terminal F is open, maybe the MCTs need to be increased slightly. A 40 minute D/I connection at ATL to a flight that only operates once a day is a little tight, even for a seasoned traveler, but for an occasional traveler - YIKES!
Old May 30, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Doable but tough. As soon as you land, figure out where your new gate is. You'll likely have to make your way to the middle of the terminal, down towards the people mover, over to your new terminal, then take the escalator back up again.

You don't have time to buy any food, use the restroom, or walk slowly. You'll want to fast walk the whole way
Old May 30, 2012, 4:02 pm

Perhaps, but, now that terminal F is open, maybe the MCTs need to be increased slightly. A 40 minute D/I connection at ATL to a flight that only operates once a day is a little tight, even for a seasoned traveler, but for an occasional traveler - YIKES!
Don't think F opening changed connection times much. The train ride is lengthened by less than one minute, but the international flights are spread out over two concourses (thus more likely to be at a gate closer to the train), and overall congestion in the concourses and transportation mall is somewhat reduced.

I think any connection is probably slightly FASTER, not slower.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Might be cutting it really close. ATL is notorious for landing on time then sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes looking for an open gate.
And/or you land on runway 10/28 and have to taxi three counties over back to the terminal. I once saw on the news a (probably exaggerated) story of a flight circling due to WX, landing out there, then running out of fuel while taxiing back to the gate. Sounded like they had gone into the fuel reserve, but in the process of stopping to cross the other runways then getting that big thrust to get going again, burned through the rest while on the ground.

Originally Posted by dcline414
Don't think F opening changed connection times much. The train ride is lengthened by less than one minute, but the international flights are spread out over two concourses (thus more likely to be at a gate closer to the train), and overall congestion in the concourses and transportation mall is somewhat reduced.

I think any connection is probably slightly FASTER, not slower.
Huh? All the E gates are there and they added gates one stop further away in F. Wouldn't this make any probability of the gate being closer decrease, since more gates have been added away from the other concourses?

ETA: Oh, I see what you're saying. More gates close to the Plane Train escalators, fewer like A1 where you come up and then have to walk all the way to the end. Foot + mouth. Agree that the change in times is probably negligible for inbound domestic --> outbound int'l.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
As others have said, if:
1) Your plane lands on time
2) You don't have an extra long taxi
3) You don't have to wait for someone to operate the jetbridge

You should make it. That's a lot of "ifs". Tack just 10 minutes on to any of the above, or all 3 combined, and you're in danger if you've got a long walk between gates. That's closer than I'd like to cut it for an int'l flight where missing it means I wait a day, especially during the stormy summer season. One wise poster said they'd rather connect through DTW in a blizzard than ATL in a drizzle.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
You should make it. That's a lot of "ifs". Tack just 10 minutes on to any of the above, or all 3 combined, and you're in danger if you've got a long walk between gates. That's closer than I'd like to cut it for an int'l flight where missing it means I wait a day
Using FlightStats.com to see what gates flights from SLC/ATL arrived at today . . . .

A1, A11, T2, A25, B26, A19, (D13 - late evening & too late to connect)

ATL/JNB departs from F2

edited to add . . . If you get stuck in ATL and hafto fly a day later, one could only imagine what kind of seat you could be stuck in at the last minute for the 15+ hour flight!

Last edited by davetravels; May 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm
Old May 30, 2012, 5:18 pm

Using FlightStats.com to see what gates flights from SLC/ATL arrived at today . . . .

A1, A11, T2, A25, B26, A19, (D13 - late evening & too late to connect)

ATL/JNB departs from F2

edited to add . . . If you get stuck in ATL and hafto fly a day later, one could only imagine what kind of seat you could be stuck in at the last minute for the 15+ hour flight!
So it appears that the arrivals later in the day are given gates closer to the center of the concourse. A19 to F is probably a faster connection than E2 to F. That said, an F2 departure is probably at least a solid quarter mile walk from the train... That's disappointing to see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.