Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by gooselee

If OP misses the connection, they would need to rebook on ATL-TYS, which is maybe a 30 min flight.
You are absolutely correct. ^

But I would still have a strong aversion to a middle seat for the gate-to-gate time for a 30 minute flight.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by pvn
I think you can walk from T1-train-F1 in 15 minutes without breaking a sweat. You guys are massively overestimating how big concourses are.
I once timed myself from A1 to F1 when I had a 30 minute connection due to delays in bound - it took 15 minutes gate-to-gate, and it was best case scenario as I walk fast, know my way around ATL, did not have a carry on, and I caught the train as soon as I reached the platform.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You are absolutely correct. ^

But I would still have a strong aversion to a middle seat for the gate-to-gate time for a 30 minute flight.
It's mostly RJ's with one 717, MD88, and on A320. For the 9 daily ATL/TYS flights you're looking at 4 rows of middle seats total.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The risk calculation is quite different for a frequent flyer who 1) knows the airport, 2) is likely to be high up on the standby list, and 3) is likely to be seated towards the front of their incoming flight versus someone who is 1) unfamiliar with the airport, so not going to automatically know to go right instead of left, or straight instead of turn, etc 2) will be at the bottom of any standby list, and 3) likely to be seated at the back of the plane (this can add 10-15 minutes to the needed connecting time depending on the size of the plane).

It also depends on how quickly they can move (I know I can't run so I'm less likely to schedule a connection that might require running to make it), what are the alternatives (I want a longer connection to a once a day longhaul flight for example), and what are the consequences if they don't make it on that flight (I'm going to give myself more leeway for a once in lifetime event, than a simple trip to see family). In the OP's case, with 4 later flights, and the knowledge that if all else fails, ATL-TYS is driveable, I might risk that 40 minute connection, especially since it's likely the schedule will change anyways.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Is 40 minutes doable? Yes, provided you are able to walk at a normal walking pace.

Is 40 minutes comfortable? No.

The only DL hub in which I would find a 40 minute connection comfortable is SLC.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by pvn
I have 40 minute connections all the time in ATL and I haven't missed one in years. It's plenty of time. The comments that "everything has to work perfectly" are overexaggerations.

Yes, it's theoretically possible that they can give your seat away at T-15 but in practice gate agents will know you're connecting and will wait until the last minute for you.

You'll be fine.
Also it is a domestic connection with 4 later flights that same day, according to the OP. So even if things don't work out they aren't stuck there overnight, just a few hours until the next flight.

If you are reasonably mobile and don't need to stop for food/bathroom/whatever there's nowhere in ATL that can't be reached in 20 minutes from any other point in ATL. And if you are limiting it to the A-B-C-D terminals it is more like 15 minutes.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Also it is a domestic connection with 4 later flights that same day, according to the OP. So even if things don't work out they aren't stuck there overnight, just a few hours until the next flight.

If you are reasonably mobile and don't need to stop for food/bathroom/whatever there's nowhere in ATL that can't be reached in 20 minutes after you get off the plane from any other point in ATL. And if you are limiting it to the A-B-C-D terminals it is more like 15 minutes.
Fixed it for you
Old May 10, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Fixed it for you
Yeah, that was implied but probably should have been stated. I was starting the time from when you step off the jetway.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Yeah, that was implied but probably should have been stated. I was starting the time from when you step off the jetway.
I understand. Just pulling your chain.

Your original statement is probably (close to being) correct... for someone who is fit and if the trains are running (they have gone MX before ).

My point remains... the question of whether a 40 minute connection is prudent remains a multi-variate problem that can only be addressed for specific sets of circumstances, considering information that PAX has and we do not have.

That is why the "Go for it!" assurances that others have offered here, and in myriad other similar threads, potentially do a disservice to those requesting advice.
Old May 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

OP said "we're" in the first post...now what does we're mean? Does that mean you and your SO or does it mean your SO, and 5 other people?

That is the determining factor for me now that I relook at the situation.

In res rebooking one person was usually pretty easy unless it was a complete meltdown, and even then with some patience I could make it work 4:5 times. Every person you're traveling with increases the difficulty of rebooking you if you misconnect. Two wasn't usually so bad. And after 2 it starts getting exponentially more difficult.

The moral of the story is that the more people you're traveling with the more connection time you should build in.

I had major issues at times with larger groups who would not agree to be split up, but also found it unacceptable that the next flight I had 7 seats for wasn't for a day and a half...understandably neither are ideal, but believe me I'm not hiding anything from you...its a ton easier for me to get you on the next flight and be done with it as opposed to searching crazy routings and alternate stations for an hour...if I had better I'd offer it to you!
Old May 10, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
problem solved

Decision made: taking an earlier flt out of BOS so we'll have ~2 hours to find the new gate! Thanks for all of your responses. ^
Now need to decide whether or not to spend an extra 10K miles (5K x 2) and fly Comfort +. I think I know how my wife will vote!!

Last edited by philemer; May 10, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 5:25 pm

I usually book any legal connection, and take my chances. It typically works out fine. When it doesn't, there's (almost) always another flight. I am a little bit more careful when there is not another flight -- and I would have a different view for very important "must be there" events, or at peak travel times, such as Thanksgiving, etc. I just booked a 54 minute connection, at ATL. Did not give it a second thought. I will be in F, which helps because I can get off the plane quicker.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:29 pm

I usually have a short hop to Atlanta and they pad the time a lot for my flights. They have a flight time of 1:34 Mlb > Atl. It is like 58 minutes in the air. i fly on A/G tickets so always first 10 or so off the plane. 40 mins would be fine for me unless something goes sideways.

I have never had a flight that was a short layover get cancelled. I usually have to sit a few hours before the delays start...
Old May 10, 2017, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
Someone once said "if you never miss a flight, you're spending too much time in airports"

I've had good success with contacting delta via twitter to do a semi-SDC to flights like this (under MCT). They will protect me on the flight and even give me a seat assignment while letting me keep the original connection just in case. I made a 25-minute connection like this a couple of weeks ago (without running!) arriving in A, departing from B.

The problem with this is that if you're merely protected you won't get on the upgrade list until you make it to the gate, which means you most likely aren't getting an upgrade when you do this unless there are no-shows.
That's fine for you as a PM, plus you might be able to do SDC/SDS for free to give yourself more time on the day of departure. However, OP is a kettle with DL and that makes a big difference, plus OP isn't familiar with ATL.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I hold no status with DL, have been through ATL only twice in the last 20 years, and I just booked a 35-minute connection for September. Coincidentally, it also involved TYS. I'll report back after I've made the trip.

So it's on me if the door is closed when I get to the connecting flight even if I sprinted gate to gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.