Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Col1n
My flights are from Bonaire to YUL through ATL and the original schedule had a legal transfer of 86 minutes (I broke my usual 120 min minimum transfer rule).
Flights are Delta from BON and a Delta feeder to YUL.

Schedule was changed and reduced by 2 minutes and is now an illegal connection but Delta won't change flight without a change fee that approaches 50% of original total cost since change is small.

We arrive at Terminal E and leave from Terminal D, I think.

No checked baggage and have Nexus (GOES) that should minimised time to pass security, etc.

Is this doable assuming flights are close to their scheduled times?
Without having to wait for checked luggage, you should be fine assuming on time aircraft. But the bigger issue is that it is technically an illegal connection because it violates the minimum connection time for international to international (90 minutes). That said, I wouldn't change my YUL flight.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:18 pm

International Transfer

Totally agree.
Delta was not prepared to change flight by arguing that the change was only two minutes.
Tried to be reasonable and pay for my hotel if they would change the flight to the next day without exorbitant fees.
After the schedule change, the booked flight does not show, even though there are available seats, but the next day flights I would happily change to are.
They were very happy to change the flights to a two-stop flight later in the evening that would mean a pleasant overnight stay in the transfer airport.
The booking agent to add a note in the file that an hotel would be offered in ATL if the connecting flight was missed - and I'll believe that when it happens.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Col1n
My flights are from Bonaire to YUL through ATL and the original schedule had a legal transfer of 86 minutes (I broke my usual 120 min minimum transfer rule).
Flights are Delta from BON and a Delta feeder to YUL.

Schedule was changed and reduced by 2 minutes and is now an illegal connection but Delta won't change flight without a change fee that approaches 50% of original total cost since change is small.
When you wrote "Delta won't change flight without a change fee" you really meant "the first agent I talked to won't change the flight without a change fee" right? (That's a subtle hint.)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:21 pm

Atlanta International Transfer

Hi,
Yes, I was thinking about a retry since I checked yesterday and saw that the original flight is not offered now even though seats are available.

I'll also make sure that I talk to a supervisor if the agent isn't playing along.

I'm a *G FF using Delta for the first time only because AAA was declaring bankruptcy when I booked the flights and AC and UA had nothing suitable.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Somebody indicated that the minimum connection time is now 90 minutes, so you're 6 minutes under (not just 1). I think that's more important than a 2-minute change.

After all, the minimum connection time is set because Delta feels that too many people would miss connections if they had less time.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:51 pm

Atlanta International Transfer-Update

Thanks RobertS975 and sethb,

Another day, another booking agent and entirely different result - flight changed without argument though their offline discussion was long.

There is no excuse for such variation between personnel.

Now able to return home from a vacation without any stress.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Is this a legal connection?

Just booked Flint to Aruba through ATL. On return, layover in ATL is only one hour, thirteen minutes. Do I have to go thru customs in Atlanta coming back from Aruba, and if so, is this connection doable? Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by kimmielou01:19229633
Just booked Flint to Aruba through ATL. On return, layover in ATL is only one hour, thirteen minutes. Do I have to go thru customs in Atlanta coming back from Aruba, and if so, is this connection doable? Thanks!
Yes. Just use your GE/TSA PreCheck and you should be able to make it. Might have to move swiftly.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:56 am

Yes, it is a legal connection but tighter than I like. If no delays, you will likely make it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'Being able to make it' doesn't address whether something is a legal connection as used in industry convention.

The easiest way for one to see if one has a legal connection is trying to buy it again. If individual segments are available Delta is still selling that routing with a 73-minute layover, the OP has a legal connection.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:35 pm

50 Minutes Connection in ATL

PHL --> ATL 7:40pm - 9:49pm
Delta 2161
Terminal N

ATL --> AMS 10:40pm for departure
KLM 622
Terminal I

It's approximately 50 minutes connection?
I assume I have to go through custom at ATL?
How far is terminal N to I?

It seems like Delta 2161 usually arrive 9:05pm.. much earlier than scheduled arrival time

Last edited by superking; Sep 25, 2012 at 6:05 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by superking
Delta 2161
Terminal N

KLM 622
Terminal I

It seems like Delta 2161 usually arrive 9:05pm.. much earlier than scheduled arrival time
It is a domestic to international connection and you will not need to deal with customs in ATL.

Fifty-one minutes is usually plenty for a domestic to domestic connection and I book that all the time. I do not however book fifty minute connections if it is international and that flight is the last of the day to my destination. In that case, I am not comfortable at ATL with much less than two hours.

And there are no Terminals N or I at ATL. Whatever service you are booking these with is badly informed.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by superking

Delta 2161
Terminal N

KLM 622
Terminal I

Not to pry too much, but why the connection in AMS if your final destination is CDG? You should not have a problem with the connection as you noted. You might be aware for any TATLs after the AMS one, just in case. From a quick perusal, I am not sure if there is another flight. Correction, there is a flight to LHR at 10:45 and one to Lagos at 10:55, in theory, you could get on either of those and make it to Paris on an Air France flight.

You might check if there was a schedule change, if so, maybe a connection at DTW might be more doable.

Last edited by RobtheAggie; Sep 25, 2012 at 7:57 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
Not to pry too much, but why the connection in AMS if your final destination is CDG? You should not have a problem with the connection as you noted. You might be aware for any TATLs after the AMS one, just in case. From a quick perusal, I am not sure if there is another flight. Correction, there is a flight to LHR at 10:45 and one to Lagos at 10:55, in theory, you could get on either of those and make it to Paris on an Air France flight.

You might check if there was a schedule change, if so, maybe a connection at DTW might be more doable.
No low mileage award to CDG directly. AF is blocking Delta awards, and Delta is blocking AF awards, so much less flights available
It's still on hold.. the award

It is a domestic to international connection and you will not need to deal with customs in ATL.

Fifty-one minutes is usually plenty for a domestic to domestic connection and I book that all the time. I do not however book fifty minute connections if it is international and that flight is the last of the day to my destination. In that case, I am not comfortable at ATL with much less than two hours.

And there are no Terminals N or I at ATL. Whatever service you are booking these with is badly informed.
I pulled it up on Google.

So basically Delta domestic to Atlanta and KLM Transatlantic to AMS

If anyone know if the terminals are not too far from each other
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by monitor
Disagree. When you approach the airport landside there are signs plastered everywhere for Terminal North (i.e. Terminal N) and Terminal South. I've never understood this since they are both the same building. But I can understand differentiating these from the International Terminal (Terminal I).

Of course if you come in airside and are connecting it really makes no difference, but it might make a difference where you park or have someone pick you up if your origin or destination is ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.