Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
You could always just buy a DL Private Jets card, get Diamond, and then hope for the Porsche.

And then gift me GM for this excellent suggestion.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I would not risk ATL-JNB with a 40m connection at ATL. The golden rule is 2 hours for international connections and even then there have been times when I ran all the way from arrival to departure gates and was one of the last to board.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not sure if it matters but I'm actually connecting with the ATL-AMS flight and then to JNB.

I was able to talk DL/KL to change my flight to ATL to an earlier one so I'm all set.

It seems like 40 minute connections should not be allowed at all in ATL.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Might be cutting it really close. ATL is notorious for landing on time then sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes looking for an open gate.
Hopefully the 12 new gates will help about some on this.

But DL also considers this partially a training issue. They are starting to rotate pilots through NYC to be taught how to find parking spots by NYC cabbies.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
I would not risk ATL-JNB with a 40m connection at ATL. The golden rule is 2 hours for international connections and even then there have been times when I ran all the way from arrival to departure gates and was one of the last to board.
Why do they even sell such crazy, nearly impossible connections, especially, knowing that out of 269 pax on a B777, surely at least half will be infrequent flyers, or have wheel chairs, strollers, diaper bags, etc! Throw in a drizzle or a snowflake, etc, and fuggeddabodit!

What boarding time is printed on BPs for B777 flights? T-50 or 60 minutes? Even if SLC/ATL is on time, ATL/JNB will have begun boarding before the OP even lands!
Old May 30, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JDErickson
Not sure if it matters but I'm actually connecting with the ATL-AMS flight and then to JNB.

I was able to talk DL/KL to change my flight to ATL to an earlier one so I'm all set.

It seems like 40 minute connections should not be allowed at all in ATL.
Depends... I don't like to, but if I'm backed into a corner I will accept a 40 minute connection on domestic flights if I can just catch the next one an hour or two later should I misconnect. Would never chance 40 minutes connecting to int'l though.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by davetravels
Throw in a drizzle or a snowflake, etc, and fuggeddabodit!
If you throw a snowflake within 250 miles of ATL, all flights will be grounded for at least two days.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by JDErickson
I booked a flight from SLC-JNB through ATL. The connection time in ATL is 40 minutes.

Is this too close for comfort? It was a valid connection and DL says its good. I'm guessing I will need to transfer to the new Intl terminal?
If you make it, it will be really close!
Most likely you'll get to spend an extra day in ATL.
Try and SDC to an earlier flight to make your connection.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dd1612
If you make it, it will be really close!
Most likely you'll get to spend an extra day in ATL.
Try and SDC to an earlier flight to make your connection.
Check post #18 above.

Old May 30, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Looking at doing a MR to HNL via ATL to get the A330. Coming from MSP, I can get to Atlanta at 9 or 10:10am for the 10:50am departure. Both flights from MSP are on 757s. Would it be doable to do the later flight and take a 40min layer in Atlanta or should I suck it up and take the 5:20am flight to ensure I make it? I am also planning on returning to ATL on the A330 then onto SEA to get the 767 so I know if I miss the flight to Honolulu, my whole trip gets messed up. Thoughts?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Barbella7
...my whole trip gets messed up....
Did we really need to read all the way to the end of that post before you showed that you already knew the answer. Do you really need any more input?
Old May 31, 2012, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Barbella7
Coming from MSP, I can get to Atlanta at 9 or 10:10am for the 10:50am departure. Both flights from MSP are on 757s. Would it be doable to do the later flight and take a 40min layer in Atlanta or should I suck it up and take the 5:20am flight to ensure I make it?
I'd definitely take the earlier flight... gives you time to check out the new flagship Sky Clubs on the E and F concourses.

Plus the boarding process will be much less stressful if you're there at the beginning, rather than being one of the last to board your ATL-HNL flight.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
1:20 enough for a connection time at ATL on Sunday?

Hi there! Planning on flying LGA-ATL-MGA this Sunday. Connection time is currently 1:20 in ATL-- do you think that's enough? Tons of seats on that route, tons of flights. Would be easy to SDC to an earlier flight. Should I? Only one flight a day ATL-MGA, it seems...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
1Hr20 is plenty for this domestic (on the outbound) connection but since you are coming from NYC, you have the luxury of taking a slightly earlier flight, which is something that I would do if I have the time and my connection is to the only or last flight of the day.

The hidden bonus in making such a change is that it gives you time to have a meal at One Flew South so when they bring out the airplane food, you will not need the stuff.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL GM
I have a question regarding a domestic flight taking off from the new terminal F. Is the added connection time required as simple as an extra 30 seconds on the train? Not having been to the new terminal, I don't know if the layout of it adds any additional time for navigation and/or confusion.

I have a 48 minute layover with a flight that typically lands in B (CHS-ATL), but the connecting flight will probably take off from F (ATL-LAX in 777). Just curious how tight that is in reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.