Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I wonder if they can call ahead and hold the flight for a few minutes, given it's a once-a-day flight and it's probably to Delta's benefit to not have to rebook a lot of people.
Call ahead? No, I don't think so. It will be an operations call. We saw this in the the tour of the Delta Control Tower in CVG, they have a wealth of information at their fingertips and make judgment calls like this all day long. It might happen but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Bottom line is move as fast as you can and it will either be there when you get there or it won't. React from there.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
I am at the Crown Club in EWR. Flight 147 delayed until 7:15 PM. Estimated arrival ATL now 9:39. Flight 147 ATL-SCL scheduled to depart 10:05. Any chance I will make it? Is there "pad time" in the EWR flight, which could result in early landing?

I am in 2D on the EWR flight, so should be quick exit. Made a second confirmation on tomorrow's SCL flight, just in case.

Anyway, I don't use ATL often enough to form an opinion on transit times within the airport. Even if I make it, I suppose there is little chance of my bags making the connection.

Oh well, if anyone is in the Crown Club, stop by and say hi. Blue dress shirt, gray hair, second round table from bar. :-)
Unless they hold the ATL-SCL flight, plan on spending the night at ATL.

That your flight is getting into ATL late -- that too late on a Saturday night -- only increases your odds of having a delay at ATL even after landing from EWR and just wanting to deplane as quickly as possible. Also, just hope your flight is not a lower priority flight getting out of EWR.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:58 pm

I agree it will be hard, but very doable if flights are as scheduled. More often than not, when I'm in this situation we end up spending 15 minutes waiting for a gate and I get screwed, but sometimes luck is on your side. If I recall correctly, I once made a 32 minute connection in ATL from an international flight to domestic which included customs.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
FWIW, it looks like the OP should be at the gate in ATL by around 9:40 p.m. Arrives into A7. Connection still at 10:05 p.m. from T4.

Given that he's in 2D, if he runs, he could make it. It's a 3500 ft or so from A7 to T4. Best hope is it takes 3 minutes to run from A7 to midpoint, 3 minutes to train-it from A to T, 3 minutes from train to T4.

It'll be tight, but hopefully the OP makes it.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:50 pm

It's 9:48 and not at gate in ATL. It was slim to none and I think slim just left town.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are you still planning to rush over to the ATL-SCL gate? At least it will be exercise.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you still planning to rush over to the ATL-SCL gate? At least it will be exercise.
LOL, yes, I need to work off 3 margaritas.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
They're still boarding at least. Still not looking good.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
I'd say no news is good news! Delta.com says:

Scheduled Departure: 10:05pm
Actual Departure: 10:28pm

Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:51 pm

He made it.

^
Old Mar 28, 2009, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLBeno
He made it.

^
Always good to hear.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Originally Posted by mersk862
Always good to hear.
Fun how delays can sometimes be good news--depending upon your position
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: MR Silver elite, Hertz Gold, AA, Delta, AirTran
Hooray!!!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ZapperO
Fun how delays can sometimes be good news--depending upon your position
You said it!

With all the recent posts about delays in getting to a gate in ATL after landing, I thought for sure the OP would not have made it. Thanks for the updates all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.