Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by maxmin
Will have 2 toddlers with me... this is Jan 2nd
In all likelihood, there will be multiple schedule changes between now and Jan 2nd.

If the schedule changes make your connection even tighter, it is generally not a problem to call up Delta and get your flights shifted.

Happy New Year!!

David
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by cdh2585
You should be fine. As long as you are not coming from an international flight that is. "South Terminal" refers to the check-in for ATL originating flights, so it really has no involvement with your flight. ATL is set up as concourses T, A, B, C, D, E. For the most part, DL will be in T, A and B.

What is the route you are taking?
PBI-ATL-SFO
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
In all likelihood, there will be multiple schedule changes between now and Jan 2nd.

If the schedule changes make your connection even tighter, it is generally not a problem to call up Delta and get your flights shifted.

Happy New Year!!

David
Good point!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Is your ATL-SFO flight the last one?

Are you going to check any bag or stroller at the gate?

It seems too tight.. (if your flight from PBI is delayed)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold
It might be a little close, but you should be okay. Like it was mentioned, Most of the Delta flights come out of the terminals bunched together on one side, plus the tram is decently fast between them.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Navigating ATL in that time frame shouldn't be a problem... your odds of missing your connection are about the same as the odds of your inbound flight being late. If you're on the last ATL-SFO of the day, I'd be asking DL for a re-route or an earlier inbound. As others have said, the likelihood of schedule changes are high, so I'd wait 'til a month or so out before I started pushing DL for changes.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL
Things to think about:

One 15 minute delay can kill you. Especially if you're on the last ATL-SFO. If your on the first PBI-ATL you will be fine. There are many ATL-SFO if you miss it. Personally, 1.5 hours is the right connection.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:15 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
    Originally Posted by maxmin

Is it common to ask the FAs to request a cart to take us to our connection if we're delayed?
    I really am not sure this saves any significant time. IF the cart is right there when you depart then it might...but if you are in the same concourse then you won't need it anyway. If not, the maximum it will get you is to the center of the concourse, something you can easily do in 5 minutes.

45 minutes is loads of time...yes, I would try to sit as far forward in the plane as possible in the event of a delay.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:58 pm

Boarding usually starts 30 minutes ahead of posted departure time. If your first flight is on-time, that will leave you approx. 15 minutes to deplane and get to your next gate if you want to make the start of boarding. If you are less concerned with making the start of boarding, then you will have more wiggle room.

Delays at ATL are common, however (when you compare it to other airports). I would watch those flights starting a week or a few days out to see how they're doing.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:00 pm
    Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
    Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
    45 minute connections at ATL are the kind of connection times where I would have a back-up plan since the plane getting a gate quickly at ATL -- even with a timely touchdown on the runway at ATL -- can be a coin toss or a roll of the die too often.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:53 pm
    JBa

Programs: some
    Had a 50 min connection time in ATL for my flights PFN-ATL-SNA. Waited 5 mins for my carry on from my PFN-ATL flight and had to go from Terminal D to B. I made it with time to spare, SNA flight was delayed, but my checked luggage did not make it.
    So, to answer the original question, without any delays on the first flight I think you can make it, but your checked luggage might not make it. It's hit and miss.

JBa
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
    I made a 35 minute connection at ATL coming in from PBI about 6 months ago...but I literally had to RUN down the terminal. I suspect the earlier posters who suggest that the schedule is almost certain to change between now and January are probably right.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: Family: DL PM, SMx2; Hilton Silver, SPG, Avis Preferred
    Originally Posted by poohhead80
    Is your ATL-SFO flight the last one?

Are you going to check any bag or stroller at the gate?

It seems too tight.. (if your flight from PBI is delayed)
    45 mins is tight but manageable assuming, as mentioned, no delays. I've done it in less with kids, but I usually avoid the stroller (gate check) as it creates added waiting time - you will have to wait for the stroller to be brought up (via the elevator these days so that means you're waiting with all the others who gate checked). A stroller also means waits for elevators (although you can try to do the escalator, sometimes personnel frown on that and direct you to use the elevator). Don't know your kids' ages but if one can walk and you can use a baby carrier for the other, that'd be faster.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 7:55 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
    Originally Posted by Clay_C.
    I made a 35 minute connection at ATL coming in from PBI about 6 months ago...but I literally had to RUN down the terminal. I suspect the earlier posters who suggest that the schedule is almost certain to change between now and January are probably right.
    You might have felt that you needed to run but if you had 35 minutes you didn't have to.
    Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
    We connect in ATL every time we fly anywhere. I think 45 minutes is not a sufficient amount of time to make the plane change, especially with two very young children who may not be highly co-operative at this phase of your travel.

I do not know if you can request a cart to assist you. I do not think I have ever seen that in ATL, but I may be wrong. I am not sure if a cart will actually make things faster for you. I use a wheelchair, and I inevitably have to wait until everyone is off the plane, and usually another ten minutes of so before the wheelchair arrives.

For this connection to work everything has to be perfect. Your plane has to arrive on time. They have to be able to get to the terminal immediately. You have to read the flight board accurately and move with confidence to your next gate. Since I rarely have such a perfect experience in ATL, I would not accept a change of only 45 minutes. Without the added burden of small children, I would still have difficulty making this change. One small problem can eat up 15 to 20 minutes of the time available to you.

I do agree, however, that it is too far out to determine what the actual flight change time will be. It would be pointless to complain at this point because likely everything will shift in terms of schedules before you fly.

If you cannot change your connection time, or you want to try a make it be sure to have an alternative already arranged in your head so you can help DL get you out of ATL as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.