Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2005, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
I never, EVER run in an airport.
Yeah, look where running in airports got OJ.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by Traveller
When you have a 2 hour connection, you have to go from B10 to B12.

When you are late and only have a 20 minute connection, you have to go from T1 to E36.
Based on my recent experiences, those times sound about right.

However, I have to admit that I once had a 90 minute departure delay followed by a 25 minute ATC hold arriving in ATL at roughly the time my "saftey net" (i.e. a backup flight to LGA in case my primary connecting flight had already departed) was scheduled to depart.

Only to find out that:

a: the last flight to LGA (i.e. my "safety net") had departed on schedule

b: my original connecting flight to LGA was still at the gate and was now scheduled to depart in 30 minutes.

c: the gate for that flight was directly across the walkway from my arrival gate

Sometimes ATL can make for some exciting "Delta Dashes" (remembers arriving 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the connecting flight and making a mad dash from A to B) in order to catch a flight.....while other times, things can actually turn out for the best.

I think that is one of the things that always makes connecting at ATL an interesting experience........as you never know what will happen next.

A.J.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:43 pm

I'm glad I didn't start a new thread about this now LOL. Thanks to everyone for their advice here. I was a little concerned about the 50 minute connection time my TA just booked us next January. I'll still be concerned until we board the o/b flight, but at least I know 50 minutes isn't out of the ordinary.

One question though. I noticed somebody saying Delta will change gates and concourses for a flight pretty frequently, so trying to keep an eye out for a trend with our LAX-ATL flight is pointless. But what about the feeder flights? We are flying to Flint on ASA. Do the feeder lines have a dedicated area, or do they get put all over the place too?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by DanJ
I'm glad I didn't start a new thread about this now LOL. Thanks to everyone for their advice here. I was a little concerned about the 50 minute connection time my TA just booked us next January. I'll still be concerned until we board the o/b flight, but at least I know 50 minutes isn't out of the ordinary.

One question though. I noticed somebody saying Delta will change gates and concourses for a flight pretty frequently, so trying to keep an eye out for a trend with our LAX-ATL flight is pointless. But what about the feeder flights? We are flying to Flint on ASA. Do the feeder lines have a dedicated area, or do they get put all over the place too?
ASA leaves from "C". Since C is pretty much all RJs or other airlines you can be fairly sure that LAX-ATL will not come into C. C is more or less in the middle of the airport so you won't have an E to A situation to worry about. Additionally, ASA has never had a flight leave on time, so you ought to be just fine.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

Most ASA flights come into C but I think some of them come into D as well.

And dude, don't stress over a 50 minute connection, life is too short.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:37 am

Thanks for the info.

I'm not stressing over it. I was just a little concerned. I had originally wanted to book the 1215pm departure out of LA, but since this is a flight after a cruise, our TA highly recommended we take the 130pm flight. I suppose if we actually get to LAX early from the ship, we can ask if we can take the earlier flight. Who knows if they'll let us, but it can't hurt to ask anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just a little concerned.
OK, then, don't be concerned, life is too short.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Yeah, look where running in airports got OJ.
A house on a golf course in Florida?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
A house on a golf course in Florida?
Traveller, you should know that OJ was accused of murdering his ex-wife and her friend. He was acquitted but later found responsible in a civil trial.

I know, since it wasn't on FT, then you don't know about it.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by indufan
Traveller, you should know that OJ was accused of murdering his ex-wife and her friend. He was acquitted but later found responsible in a civil trial.

I know, since it wasn't on FT, then you don't know about it.
It was probably on OMNI.... but I didn't know about FT then!
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:43 pm

Atlanta Int'l Connection Advice

U.S. citizens arriving ATL from GUA early evening.

Delta.com offers two connections to my final destrination, 1:25 or 3:00 after scheduled arrival time. Flying C class with spouse, infant and multiple checked bags.

I don't want to spend any more time in ATL than necessary, but I also don't want to misconnect with the inevitable downgrade that will go along with it.

Which connection do I book?

P.S. Yes, I did a search.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:37 pm

I would definitely go with the 3-hour connection. I've done it before and it is a trying experience. You have enough on your hands - the long walk to immigration, immigration clearance, baggage pick-up, customs clearance, re-checking your baggage, and sprinkle in a diaper change or two and the last thing you need to worry about is whether you have enough time to make your connection. Take a breather and relax in the CRC, get some fresh milk for the baby while you're there.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL-S,NW-S,*W-P,6C-Pl&RA
I would also go for the 3 hour connection given the uncertainty involved in clearing customs and security to make 1 1/2 hour with your baggage and family. Would probably see if could get shower in Delta Crown Room in Concourse E w/ the extra time.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
U.S. citizens arriving ATL from GUA early evening.

Delta.com offers two connections to my final destrination, 1:25 or 3:00 after scheduled arrival time. Flying C class with spouse, infant and multiple checked bags.

I don't want to spend any more time in ATL than necessary, but I also don't want to misconnect with the inevitable downgrade that will go along with it.

Which connection do I book?

P.S. Yes, I did a search.
Typically, if one flies in the premium cabin (business class or first class), one stands a good chance at being one of the first in line at United States Customs. For this scenario, I would normally say that 1 hour and 25 minutes is enough time for you to connect from one flight to another.

However, UpgradeMe, because you stated that you are arriving in the early evening, when many international flights arrive in Atlanta, chances are that the lines may already be long because they may be filled with passengers from other international flights — especially European flights — by the time you deplane. In that case, I would recommend the 3 hour connection time.

Also, I assume that you are taking a domestic flight on Delta Air Lines from Atlanta to wherever the “Land of 10,000 Upgrades” may be. In this case, your flight will most likely depart from a terminal other than Terminal E, which is where most international flights arrive and depart. This means that you will have to take the underground train to get to the terminal where the gate for your departing domestic flight is located.

Add an infant and multiple checked bags to this scenario, and you will need the bulk of the three hours.

I hope this information helps you, UpgradeMe.

By the way, you are the last FlyerTalk member I would accuse of not doing a search...
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:06 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Also, I assume that you are taking a domestic flight on Delta Air Lines from Atlanta to wherever the “Land of 10,000 Upgrades” may be.
I'll guess that would be MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.