Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:12 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
What is this, the "is this connection OK" forum?
Old Apr 14, 2005, 10:44 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by JS
Is my connection MCO-FAI; FAI-MHT allright? There's only a 6 minute layover in FAI and the forecast calls for snow at MCO, blizzards in FAI, and rain in MHT.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Aircfo
I've made numerous close connections in ATL. Some as close as 15 or 20 minutes. If it is very close, make sure you have a good pair of running shoes
I never, EVER run in an airport.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JS
My flight into SLC arrives at 11:30 and my connection to FAT leaves at 11:18, do you think this will be enough time? I realize that it's 12 minutes before arrival but I know that sometimes flights arrive early and SkyWest is never on time.

In all seriousness, Delta has established minimum connection times and without some intervention won't sell you a ticket under those times. While they can be tight, all of the minimum connection times are very "doable". This always assumes that there are no delays, but I, for one, just won't figure that in, as I am just as often early as late and the connection may or may not be on time.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by JS
Sorry !!

Moderator please feel free to move this thread to appropriate forum.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airframe
Sorry !!

Moderator please feel free to move this thread to appropriate forum.
You missed the humor. We have lately had a rash of questions on connections. Don't take it personally.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by indufan
My flight into SLC arrives at 11:30 and my connection to FAT leaves at 11:18, do you think this will be enough time? I realize that it's 12 minutes before arrival but I know that sometimes flights arrive early and SkyWest is never on time.
Wanna know what's funny....but earlier this year I actually pulled off a connection quite similar to that at SLC.

Of course, the connection wasn't booked like that, but.....

As the story goes.....my mainline flight to SLC was scheduled to arrive at 10:19am....but actually arrived at 9:47am....and it was a westbound flight no less (MSY-SLC).

As soon as I was off (was actually seated in F in that 737-300 ), I "dashed" as quickly as possible from Concourse C to D in order to use SDC to get on a 10:10am SLC-ATL flight....instead of waiting for the 1:25pm flight that I was originally booked on (F was full on the later flight anyway ....and I managed to get 34A on the 10:10am flight ).

FWIW, I did give up a confirmed upgrade for my ATL-LGA flight and instead ended up sitting in 12G onboard a 767-200 (delay + equipment change = I should have asked to have been booked on the next flight instead ).

A.J.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
Good luck! I've had some pretty close connections in ATL lately and I just pick an aisle seat and hope for the best. What annoys me is that a DL agent told me that delta.com and agents are not supposed to sell flights with a connection time less than 55 minutes. I pointed out that it's done all the time and she didn't believe me until I had her pull up my dozen stored Delta itineraries.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmscsc
Good luck! I've had some pretty close connections in ATL lately and I just pick an aisle seat and hope for the best. What annoys me is that a DL agent told me that delta.com and agents are not supposed to sell flights with a connection time less than 55 minutes. I pointed out that it's done all the time and she didn't believe me until I had her pull up my dozen stored Delta itineraries.
Every Delta airport has "minimum connection times". They are a different amount of time based upon several factors. And there is a different time if it is international or domestic. If the connection time is "under" this window, then Delta.com and other reservation systems won't show it. I once begged and pleaded to book a 20 minute connection in ATL and they let me do it but had to do it manually. There is a list of these times someplace but for the life of me can't find them at delta.com or here. I think that time in ATL for domestic to domestic is 30 minutes. So, they agent was right, she just had the wrong amount of time. It might be 55 minutes for international...but for some reason 45 sticks out to me as that number.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 3:53 pm

My flight into SLC arrives at 11:30 and my connection to FAT leaves at 11:18, do you think this will be enough time? I realize that it's 12 minutes before arrival but I know that sometimes flights arrive early and SkyWest is never on time....

The good news is yes, you'll make your flight. The bad news of course is that your flight is to Fresno.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dphmicn
The good news is yes, you'll make your flight. The bad news of course is that your flight is to Fresno.
Actually, I am going to FAT next month but I am connecting in LAX, so I can soak up one last B/E flight domestically.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 4:24 pm

You missed the humor. We have lately had a rash of questions on connections. Don't take it personally.
Nothing taken personally folks.

Not being a regular on this side of FT I was unaware the comment referred to
previous posts.

Cheers
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
You'll be fine

Assuming inbound arrives on time.

Check w/ Gate Agent upon deboarding to determine which gate your O/B flight leaves from. Go to CENTER of whichever concourse you are in and look for signs regarding which way to go down escalators to catch train. Get off train at appointed concourse, go up escalator and immediately look for screens displaying departure gates. ATL is notorious for changing gates, sometimes even concourses. Given its a domestic flight, if anyone tells you your flight leaves from "E" concourse, question them severely - this is very very rare. I've had them tell me that, and lo and behold they were WRONG.

If by chance your I/B is late, your O/B will probably also be late. ATL stands for late. Hightail it to departure gate to try to catch plane - if unsuccessful, immediately try to rebook a seat on a later plane. You should eventually get there.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL,AA,SW,JB,Marriott
Closer Connections

This seems to be fairly common lately. I fly through ATL twice weekly (usually SFO-ATL-MEM or the reverse) and my connection seems to be much tighter since DL revamped their schedule in ATL in order to improve dispatch reliability. I've found myself running from B (low numbers) to A (high numbers) 5 times in the last 8 trips.

This past time, I barely made the connection...7 minutes to spare. And I had no time to watch the upgrade screen...turns out I had been upgraded (according to my records), the ticket machine didn't spit out the new boarding pass, and I sat in coach for 4+ hours.

DL is really starting to suck.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
The rule of thumb at ATL

When you have a 2 hour connection, you have to go from B10 to B12.

When you are late and only have a 20 minute connection, you have to go from T1 to E36.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.