Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller
Can you get your airfare refunded? There is a term for this when you fly and miss your meeting, I can't remember what the term is.
My co-worker had her trip refunded, had to jump through some hoops via the phone. I just haven't called them yet to try, but I am going to do it though.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:21 am

As a follow-up, I was on the phone with Delta earlier because when checking my flights online, they didn't come up on the search. Turned out the first leg was already sold out, so it didn't show on the available itineraries. Anyway, while she was looking at my reservation, she noticed the ATL connection from LAX to FNT had shrunk to 41 minutes. She said 55 was the minimum, so she rebooked us on an earlier flight from LAX.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Keep in mind that connection times at airports are not always absolute - sometimes there are *specific* exceptions to the connection times when connecting to/from certain flights, cities, or airlines.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Originally Posted by DanJ
... she noticed the ATL connection from LAX to FNT had shrunk to 41 minutes. She said 55 was the minimum, so she rebooked us on an earlier flight from LAX.
This is interesting because I usually get offered 35-40 min connect times in both ATL and CVG thru delta.com. I don't care for these flt pairs because it is usually my luck that the I/B flt is late and my O/B flt is on-time or early.

So instead, I have to look for other flt pairings that won't squeeze me so hard (and then I can go wait in the CRC - ).

BTW - did I mention that the new (well - now its not so new) "unbanked" schedule $uck$! They took away most of my favorite flts.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by indufan
Every Delta airport has "minimum connection times". They are a different amount of time based upon several factors. And there is a different time if it is international or domestic. If the connection time is "under" this window, then Delta.com and other reservation systems won't show it.
Orbitz is the exception. They sold me an itinerary this spring which was under the minimum times for an Intl. connection at YUL. (61 minute connection, AF requires check in 60 minutes prior to boarding, the terminals were a 25 minute fast walk apart, plus lines for security and immigration/customs. Even if I faxed myself across the terminal bypassing security, if the fax transmision took 90 seconds I would have been late). When I wrote Orbitz to complain about missing the flight and missing a day in Europe, they said it was my fault: "Orbitz is an on-line travel booking tool where the customer acts as the travel agent and is responsible for the booking made."

So, I'm an unlicensed travel agent and I demand compensation from my self. I'll be mailing myself vouchers.

So, I guess bottom line is, trust the connection time if you book it from the airline, but not if you book it elsewhere.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
So, I'm an unlicensed travel agent and I demand compensation from my self. I'll be mailing myself vouchers.
Can I have a few too?

I also get <30 minute connection times in ATL but this is for domestic. Is there a different rule for international?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Can I have a few too?
I'll print them up today. They are valid for RT front seat transportation between ORD or RFD to my country estate.

I also get <30 minute connection times in ATL but this is for domestic. Is there a different rule for international?
My experience was YUL, where AF closes the gate 60 minutes prior to departure for int'l, and int'l is a separate sterile area from domestic, so and you have to clear security as well as immigration/customs.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:52 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I recently ended up 2/3 of the way back in Y on a 757, and in a middle seat, and when the plane's doors opened I had 21 minutes to the scheduled departure of my connecting flight. We were parked at A (mid-way between the train and the end of the concourse) and the departing flight was at D (about 3 gates down from the train). With a modest amount of running, I made it with 5 minutes to spare.

Now I know a GM FTer with over 500 posts should not find himself so far back in Y, and in a middle seat, to boot, but that's another story.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
With a modest amount of running, I made it with 5 minutes to spare.
Do us all a favor and don't run next time.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
When you have a 2 hour connection, you have to go from B10 to B12.

When you are late and only have a 20 minute connection, you have to go from T1 to E36.

This is my usual as well.

Of course, I like it when the FA asks everyone w/o a tight connection to let those who do get off first. Everyone stands up to get off.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
This is my usual as well.

Of course, I like it when the FA asks everyone w/o a tight connection to let those who do get off first. Everyone stands up to get off.
That tactic never works, IMO, because inevitably, the guy on the aisle seat that does not have a close connection needs to get out of the way of the passenger at the window who does have a close connection. Although well-intentioned, I have never actually senn that work.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
OK, then, don't be concerned, life is too short.

I find myself in total agreement with all of indufan's posts in this thread, for me a novel but good place to be! First, don't worry about it too much. Second, it is also my experience that if it were a two-hour layover, you'd have gates next to each other, but with 50 minutes, it's several terminals away. One tip to allay some fear (or perhaps heighten it) is to check on the Delta home page what gates the first flight normally arrives at and the second flight normally departs from. (Use the "flight status" tool and see what happened yesterday, today, and what is supposed to happen tomorrow with those flights -- you'll get a sense of routine versus non-routine gates used). The "normal" is not set in stone of course, as gates are often changed at the last minute, but at least you'll have an idea of what normal operations will yield.

Finally, as with indufan, I never ever run in an airport. There may even be local regulations against me doing so. Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DanJ
. Anyway, while she was looking at my reservation, she noticed the ATL connection from LAX to FNT had shrunk to 41 minutes. She said 55 was the minimum, so she rebooked us on an earlier flight from LAX.
Can someone with better internet search skills than me find a list of these minimum connection times? It's definitely not 55 minutes at ATL.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:53 pm

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 10, 2007 at 7:27 am
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:59 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Can someone with better internet search skills than me find a list of these minimum connection times? It's definitely not 55 minutes at ATL.
indufan, I am certain your are correct --- it is NOT 55 minutes --- thought I remembered it being 35 minutes.

edit : a comprehensive listing of connection times for airlines/airports is available from OAG -- but, I am NOT a member.

Last edited by baccarat_king; Sep 2, 2005 at 6:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.