Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:44 pm

The official "legal" connection time in ATL is 35 min (meaning 35 min is ok, and 34 min is not bookable). This is the rule that delta res agents and delta.com both use.

I found this out last year when I had a 40+ min connection in ATL that was shortened to 34 min in a schedule change. SMS strongly recommended that I choose new flights that day (no change fee of course). However, she mentioned that it was possible to keep the flights with the illegal 34 min connection, but she would have to make a note in the PNR that it was voluntary and Delta would not be responsible if I misconnected (they would only be required to allow me to standby for later flights). So I guess if I hadn't called, there would be no note in the PNR, and they would be responsible if I didn't make the connection? Or perhaps the computer would have automatically rebooked me at a later time.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CEUflyer
The official "legal" connection time in ATL is 35 min (meaning 35 min is ok, and 34 min is not bookable). This is the rule that delta res agents and delta.com both use.
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Minimum published connect times vary by the type of connection and are:

Domestic to Domestic -- 55 min
The former is correct...not sure where the second set of numbers came from.

We see this argument from time to time, "don't take a flight inside of 90 minutes". This is silly. So, there is a flight in 45 minutes that you could easily make but you choose to wait another 3 hours for the next one? Why would you do that when be on the 45 minute flight and if you miss it you could still be on the same flight 3 hours later. Yes, I know you have lost your choice of seat and could lose your upgrade but you might also end up in F class instead of V. Just last week I was late getting to ATL, only ended up with 24 minutes. I went from B to A, had to wait at the gate to clear an upgrade and we left 5 minutes early. In retrospect, I could have had time to go smoke.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:45 am

connection time at ATL - 40 minutes enough?

Flying BOS-SAN via ATL early on a Thursday. There's 6am BOS-ATL flight that lays over for 1hour and 40 minutes and a 7am leaving only 40 minutes to get to the connection. Now its been awhile since I flew DL through ATL but I want to make sure I get on the ATL-SAN flight. 40 minutes seems pretty darn tight especially at ATL but waking up for the 6am seems like a drag. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a bit of a repeat question but I couldn't find the excat situation in a search.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:17 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
40 minutes is a little tight but doable.

If you must be there on the booked flight from ATL-SAN, then I would take the earlier BOS-ATL flight.

If missing your connection and arriving a couple of hours late into SAN does not make a difference, then you can try the 40 minute connection.

Cheers
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
I think you'll be fine. I'm in ATL every week and 90% of the time a scheduled 40 min layover is sufficient.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:51 am
In Memoriam

I agree... should be fine.... barring any unforseen circumstances.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by PMMMDL
40 minutes is a little tight but doable.
If you must be there on the booked flight from ATL-SAN, then I would take the earlier BOS-ATL flight.
If missing your connection and arriving a couple of hours late into SAN does not make a difference, then you can try the 40 minute connection.
I agree, better to take the earlier flight. You may very well be OK with a 40 minute connection, but if any little thing goes wrong you could miss it. I have been on an arriving connection that sat at the arriving gate for 15 minutes waiting on the gate personnel to drive the ramp up to the plane. Silly stuff like that happens...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:12 pm

Also depends if you are going to carry on your bag. As they start boarding at 30 minutes prior, all overhead space may possibly be gone by the time you board. Also, I would check the gate information for today and yesterday to see where the gates might be located. No guarantees but I find that most flights leave from similar gates day to day.

Marc
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Like many others, I connect thru ATL almost weekly and rarely have problems with a 40 minute connection. If the flights are in the same terminal, no sweat. But you can even make it from T to E in less than 10 minutes if you have to. And most of the time, if one flight is delayed, so are many others. I'd catch the extra sleep and not worry - especially on a Thursday morning!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:37 pm

I agree that you should be fine, I've done 40 minute connections many a time without a problem. I would like to add the following advice:

-Check your bag unless you are in F. That way you won't have to worry about overhead space and lugging it through ATL if your inbound is late. Typically your bag will make the connection even if you don't and it will be waiting for you in SAN.

-Watch the weather the night before to see if there will be any bad weather in the Northeast (not just BOS) the next morning. If it looks like there will be any delays you should get up early enough to make the 6am, call
SMS and request SDC.

Good luck and welcome to Sun Diego!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:14 pm

I hate to say it fellow FT'ers but I wimped out and will take the earlier flight. I really can't miss the connection.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriot Platinum, United 1P
Originally Posted by chobby100
Flying BOS-SAN via ATL early on a Thursday. There's 6am BOS-ATL flight that lays over for 1hour and 40 minutes and a 7am leaving only 40 minutes to get to the connection. Now its been awhile since I flew DL through ATL but I want to make sure I get on the ATL-SAN flight. 40 minutes seems pretty darn tight especially at ATL but waking up for the 6am seems like a drag. Thoughts? Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a bit of a repeat question but I couldn't find the excat situation in a search.
I wouldn't do it. In my limited experience connecting through ATL (I tried it once, and then switched to another carrier) - let's say it takes 10 minutes to deplane (assuming that the flight arrived on time) - and DL closes their doors 10 minutes before scheduled departure time, that leaves you 20 minutes to make your way through the airport.

Remember - you may have to switch terminals, and take the train...and walk the length of two terminals...I tried it once with a 40 minute connection, and wound up missing it in both directions.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Giovanni
I wouldn't do it. In my limited experience connecting through ATL (I tried it once, and then switched to another carrier) - let's say it takes 10 minutes to deplane (assuming that the flight arrived on time) - and DL closes their doors 10 minutes before scheduled departure time, that leaves you 20 minutes to make your way through the airport.

Remember - you may have to switch terminals, and take the train...and walk the length of two terminals...I tried it once with a 40 minute connection, and wound up missing it in both directions.
You were ontime and missed a 40 minute connection? I am just really sure how that could happen. However, routinely, they don't shut the doors at 10 minutes before scheduled departure time and I can't tell you the last time time I sat far enough back that it took 10 minutes to get off the plane. Of course, that is one of the hidden benefits of Medallion status.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
New Sticky Suggestion

Is there any chance we could get a sticky together of what is needed for average connection time at each airport DL flies in/out of (or at least the main ones) so we dont have this thread over and over again.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
A little off point, but.....

Originally Posted by Lehava
Is there any chance we could get a sticky together of what is needed for average connection time at each airport DL flies in/out of (or at least the main ones) so we dont have this thread over and over again.

That's a great idea. May I also ask some patience though from long-standing FTers with us "newbies"? Periodically - even somewhat regularly - there's a post about "this comes up every year" or "haven't we seen this time and again" etc. While I've been a frequent traveler for the majority of my life, I just recently discovered FT - just as many do every day. Why, just on this thread alone, half of posters have under 500 posts and 25% of us are under 200. I find threads all over this site on all sorts of topics to be fascinating, informative, entertaining and just plain fun to read, and while some of the thoughts may be re-hashed over and over again, the process is stimulating and usually brings out something new each time. Thanks for listening.

PS .... chuckling to myself wondering who among you can't resist the temptation to post "Haven't we seen this before?" LOL

Last edited by cbalaska; Jul 15, 2006 at 6:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.