Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
BER?

Anyway, if i were looking for ATL-related tips, I would post in the DL forum.
Just did that, thanks, for that part of my query. Got good response on the DL forum on the connect time.

Still curious about the WorldPerks related ticketing question, too, and the policy on modifying the routing on outbound flights (if there is one, and if it's possible).

BER = Berlin.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Feb 2, 2006 at 3:27 pm Reason: Noted posting on DL forum, remaining WP question
Old Feb 15, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Time needed for connection from international to domestic in ATL?

Am returning from LIM on DL 8:00 AM arrival and need to connect with NW domestic for 9:10 AM departure. Can this be done? If not, how much time should be allowed for int'l arrival, customs, connection to another domestic carrier?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:01 pm

Programs: NW worldperks
in general

The recommended Minimum Connection Time for International to Domestic in ATL is 90 minutes.
I saw no listed exceptions for DL flights connecting to NW flights.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
You will need to clear immigrations in ATL, that is not likely to be enough connect time if there's queuing...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
If you have only carry-on luggage, then I think this is OK... if you have to wait for checked luggage, could be a problem. Remember, even with hand luggage, you need to re-clear security before getting into the terminal.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:09 pm

I believe NW uses concourse D at ATL, which is also one of the concourses used for DL domestic flights, so the suggested/min connection times for DL intl to NW domestic shouldn't be any different than for DL intl to DL domestic.

I made a DL-DL intl-domestic connection last month, and would have missed a 1:10 connection. As RobertS975 alluded to, the main holdup was waiting for our checked bags to show up. By the time they came out the chute, which was a very long wait in itself, the lines for immigration were long. If you don't have checked bags, or your bags come off early in the process, 1:10 might be doable, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd suggest 2 hours to be safe.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Feb 16, 2006 at 1:02 am
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Well then... I guess it'll be fun seeing if I make my connection. Last time I enjoyed my time by dodging the agricultural dog who was looking for the sausages in my carry-on. I played like I was looking for a bag all throughout the waiting area while I waited for my checked bag to come through the chute.

This time I intentionally booked a 90 minute connection thinking if I didn't make that one there's another flight about an hour after that. We'll see how that goes...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
I believe NW uses concourse D at ATL, which is also one of the concourses used for DL domestic flights, so the suggested/min connection times for DL intl to NW domestic shouldn't be any different than for DL intl to DL domestic.
True on part 1, but not quite on part 2. Because international comes into concourse E and you're leaving from concourse D, you can walk to D concourse and avoid the train. That walk is shorter than between the other concourses. So if you don't check bags, you're probably be ok.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:33 am

Minimum connect time in Atlanta

Does anyone know the minimum connect time in Atlanta for a 'legal' connection? After the schedule changes over the weekend, I have a trip now scheduled with a 28 minute connection.

This is for a skymiles ticket, and I will most likely not be able to take the trip. If this is not a legal connection, (I doubt that is enought time in ATL), does anyone know if I can redeposit the miles without a fee. When it was ticketed, the layover was 98 mins.

Ideas?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:45 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Minimum published connect times vary by the type of connection and are:

Domestic to Domestic -- 55 min
Domestic to International -- 1 hour
International to Domestic -- 1 hour 30 min
International to International -- 1 hour 30 min
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
For me, I would never book a domestic connection flight through ATL without at least 90 minutes between the two. In bound flights are frequently delayed becuase of congestion and weather. Funny, outbound flights (at least mine) always seem to leave on time!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:10 am

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
I did a SDC in PIT earlier this year and had a 30 minute schedule. The GA stated this was the exact time for a "legal" connection and was able to book it. This was a TIGHT connection and thank god I did not have to change concourses. I had a to do a B to E with 37 minutes once and almost missed the plane!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Employee
Originally Posted by jml1124
Does anyone know the minimum connect time in Atlanta for a 'legal' connection? After the schedule changes over the weekend, I have a trip now scheduled with a 28 minute connection.

This is for a skymiles ticket, and I will most likely not be able to take the trip. If this is not a legal connection, (I doubt that is enought time in ATL), does anyone know if I can redeposit the miles without a fee. When it was ticketed, the layover was 98 mins.

Ideas?

Thanks

Call back and ask fro reissues, as that is not a legal connection, but as far as your last question, If you are arriving at your final destination more than 90mins later, then yes redeposit can be waived.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:19 am

I like those illegal connections when they occur after I am ticketed. We bought tickets to BDL to FLL through CVG. The comfortable connect time was shortened to 11 minutes. I called Delta yesterday and got the non stop BDL/FLL which was way too expensive when we were getting our tickets. Sometimes it works out well.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I recently had a scheduled connection of 39 minutes in ATL (GSO-ATL-LAX) and GSO-ATL arrived 6 minutes late and ATL-LAX pushed back 6 minutes late though I was on board a number of minutes before the scheduled pushback time. When I got to the gate in ATL boarding was underway though my zone 8 was not yet called. I was concerned but my bags did make it with me to LAX in one piece. Way to go Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.