Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I would also go with the 3 hour connection. Of course, part of that is that I am a smoker and I want to light up before getting on my connecting flight.

Incidentally, the one time that I did not make it into Atlanta in time (and I did have a three hour connection) I was upgraded on my connecting flight because they had run out of room in Y.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:21 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 1:33 pm
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:23 am

I was leaning toward the three hour connection before posting, and with all due respect to Canarsie, I'm definitely leaning that way now.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:58 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by vinnmann
I have never waited more than 1-2 minutes at the Customs line at ATL. However, I have waited close to 50 minutes at the immigration line at ATL.
Thank you for the correction, vinnmann.

To me, that whole immigrations and customs process is lumped as a blur.

One other thought that I did not take into account is the possibility of UpgradeMe’s international flight being delayed upon arrival into Atlanta but having the domestic segment depart Atlanta on time. This scenario is usually unlikely because international flights typically have priority over domestic flights, but that is usually because international flights travel great distances (from Europe, Asia, South America, South Africa, etc.). However, because UpgradeMe is arriving from Guatemala, which is closer to Atlanta than a number of domestic cities such as Seattle or San Francisco, I would believe that there is an increased chance that the flight from Guatemala may be delayed, if the airport in Atlanta is indeed experiencing delays.

Please impart your connection experience in Atlanta here in this thread, UpgradeMe, and travel safely.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 2:51 pm

Need Advice for tight connection time in Atlanta

In March, I have two FC award tickets from LAS to EWR with a stop in Atlanta. When the flight was booked, the orginal schedule was about 44 minutes in Atlanta. Of course, there were schedule changes and now it is only 34 minutes between flights. I am confirmed on the flight and when I called to clean up the itinerary, I did ask the agent about the tight time, but she said it was ok at that time of the day (4pm for the second leg). However, I checked and you can not book this trip, it puts you on the 5pm to EWR with that first flight so I'm guessing it is illegal. I can't get the 5pm on a sky saver; the next closest is 8pm which would be a 3 and a half hour layover. there are also no other good skysaver awards for the entire trip now.

What should I do. If we get to the airport, will Delta allow us to actually fly the illegal connection? I don't mind taking a chance because in all likelyhood, we can make it. However, we are checking baggage. If i bring it to Delta's attention now will they put me on the 8pm? Or should I just wait awhile because the schedules may change again? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
34 minutes, piece of cake.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by indufan
34 minutes, piece of cake.
I had a 40 minute connection ORD-ATL-JFK last Sunday. I had time to stop at the service counter, have them see if I could change the ATL-JFK-MXP leg to the ATL-MXP leg, spent 5 minutes while the agent checked the different options, saw that wasn't possible, then stopped in the washroom to freshen up, on to the gate, and sat and read for 5 or 10 minutes before boarding.

So, I'd say don't worry about it.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: MAR Plat
Since you are in First you should be fine. I'd say no way if you were in the back of the bus.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I have 4 upcoming DL itineraries connecting at ATL where my original flight was cancelled as well as the one before it. I was rebooked with a 16-minute connection. Schedule changes have reduced that to 0-minute (yes, zero) connection.

I'm keeping mum for now because last minute rebooks are done in Y and I might need the extra EQM's.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 2:45 am

Everyone, thanks for your help. I'm sticking with the 34 minute connection for now.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 7:23 am

Given the number of time changes recently, I'd say you will see those times fluctuate probably down to near zero, and back up to 40 or 50 between now and March. I have LAX-ATL-FNT in January, and it's not bookable on Delta.com right now because of the tighter connection, but I'm sure the times will be changing up until the day of departure anyway, so I'm not too worried at this point. Plus, I've been told ASA is always late anyway LOL.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
"Late" would be an improvement!

Originally Posted by DanJ
Plus, I've been told ASA is always late anyway LOL.
My experience with ASA so far is that the flight for you which you are originally ticketed never leaves the ground.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 7, 2005 at 10:42 am
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
My experience with ASA so far is that the flight for you which you are originally ticketed never leaves the ground.
My one (and hopefully only) experience with ASA this year was this past Thursday. I was booked JAX-ATL-GPT. The ATL-GPT RJ flight was delayed 2.5 hours due to a mechanical. They flip-flopped on departure times and status updates were few and far between. I missed my business meeting and turned around and came back to JAX. A whole day wasted. I know, I should have gone the night before, but I rolled the dice and lost. ASA=Another S****y Airline.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by HawaiiDave
My one (and hopefully only) experience with ASA this year was this past Thursday. I was booked JAX-ATL-GPT. The ATL-GPT RJ flight was delayed 2.5 hours due to a mechanical. They flip-flopped on departure times and status updates were few and far between. I missed my business meeting and turned around and came back to JAX. A whole day wasted. I know, I should have gone the night before, but I rolled the dice and lost. ASA=Another S****y Airline.
Can you get your airfare refunded? There is a term for this when you fly and miss your meeting, I can't remember what the term is.

Last edited by Traveller; Aug 7, 2005 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Traveller
Can you get your airfare refunded? There is a term for this when you fly and miss your meeting, I can't remember what the term is.
I think it is called a "trip in vain".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.