Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2002, 9:01 am

Location: Tallahassee, FL, USA - DL PM, *Wood PM, Mariott Gold, Hitlon Gold, blah, blah, blah
Hope you're not hungry!!

------------------
Help, Help, I'm being repressed!
Old Feb 9, 2002, 9:46 am
Suspended

Let us know if you make it. I wish you luck, but $1 says you don't make it.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 10:54 am

If the "next train" display is 1 min. 10 sec. or higher, it's faster (for me) to walk between adjacent terminals at ATL. With on time planes, arriving in F, 30 min. has always been adequate for me to connect at ATL, even from T to E.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 6:49 pm

Delta connection time in ATL

Hi I have just under 1 hour connection time in ATL. This will be a morning flight.
Is this enough time experts?

Also, we are traveling coach on a 4 hour flight to the caribbean. It mentions a snack? Will they offer food for purchase? This would help since we have a quick connection time. I am planning to bring PB&J's for the kids and maybe one for us too just in case........
Old Mar 20, 2004, 7:09 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
If your flight arrives on time you'll even have time to get food in the concourse.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Location: USA-BUSH COUNTRY to 08 (avote for Kerry is a vote for UBL), DL-PM expires 02/05 (RJ boycott), HP-PL, CO-PL, FL- Elite Plus, WN -
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by girlonthego:
Hi I have just under 1 hour connection time in ATL. This will be a morning flight.
Is this enough time experts?

Also, we are traveling coach on a 4 hour flight to the caribbean. It mentions a snack? Will they offer food for purchase? This would help since we have a quick connection time. I am planning to bring PB&J's for the kids and maybe one for us too just in case........
</font>
What type of aircraft into ATL? What is the destination in the Caribbean? This information will need to be factored into the answer.

Old Mar 21, 2004, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Quick connection time? I'd say I rarely have a full hour there.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:50 am

Atlanta being my base I can tell you this: if your flight arrives on time you should have no problem getting to your connecting flight on time. 1 hour is plenty of time to get bored at Harstfield/Jackson! As the Caribbean flights don't leave from any perticular terminal, you'll have to find out from the crew at what gate you will arrive, and from what gate your connecting flight is departing from - they will have that info on the plane before you land.

Enjoy the sun and beach!
Carolellen607 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 7:54 am

Oh, I forgot... If your flight is a Snack-Flight, then there will be no food for sale onboard. Check your schedule. If it says S then you're getting a snack. If, on the other hand it has an F, then you can purchase something onboard.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:42 pm

Question Atlanta connection times

Do you guys think a 47 min layover (if everything is on time) is ok to get from B to E in ATL? I'm trying to a do a little bit of a mile run (though I do have to go to LA for the day) and I would like to get on the 777 flight which leaves shortly after the first flight from AUS lands, if I take the next flight it is on a 764 which I try to stay away from, especially when the alterative is a B/E flight. By the way, it's a Sat. morning at around 10:30 so I do not think ATL will be that crowded. Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
You should be able to make it.. You might have to run a little but other than that 47 mins is ok to make a connection in ATL.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:09 pm

Don't blame you for shooting for the 777... 40-some minutes from B to E should be no problem if your flight runs on time. Just don't count on an empty airport... No matter what day of the week, ATL is always busy!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
You should be able to make it.. You might have to run a little but other than that 47 mins is ok to make a connection in ATL.
No running needed by a longshot. 47 minutes is a piece of cake.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:31 pm

You have plenty of time and the tram will get you between terminals much faster than the walkways, even if you have to wait a few minutes for one to show up.

The only thing that could foil you is relying on an on time landing. In the last 2 months I my flights into ATL have landed anywhere from 20-90 minutes late, with none landing on time.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by leapinglizard
You have plenty of time and the tram will get you between terminals much faster than the walkways, even if you have to wait a few minutes for one to show up.

The only thing that could foil you is relying on an on time landing. In the last 2 months I my flights into ATL have landed anywhere from 20-90 minutes late, with none landing on time.
What times/days were these flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.