Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.5MM, UA Gold, MR Plat
Hi! I need some guidance since I have never flown through ATL and have not flown DL for a long time. Since my Skymiles are expiring, I decided to use it for a DL award ticket from ORD-EYW via ATL this Thanksgiving holiday. I only have a 53 minute layover in ATL and was wondering if that would be sufficient? Do DL domestic flights usually leave out of the same terminal and concourse? Are weather delays common in ATL during Thanksgiving? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travelbuggie
Hi! I need some guidance since I have never flown through ATL and have not flown DL for a long time. Since my Skymiles are expiring, I decided to use it for a DL award ticket from ORD-EYW via ATL this Thanksgiving holiday. I only have a 53 minute layover in ATL and was wondering if that would be sufficient? Do DL domestic flights usually leave out of the same terminal and concourse? Are weather delays common in ATL during Thanksgiving? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance!
If it's the last flight of the day I'd be worried, if there are more, I don't think it should be too bad. Also, as your trip isn't until Thanksgiving there are bound to be schedule changes which may increase your connection. Regardless, you may be able to call DL and switch flights around if a change happens.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Hello, this is my first post here!

I am a Norwegian guy living in the Netherlands.

My partner and I want to go to Orlando in late Aug. We have found a great fare with Delta (great experience with this company).

We are looking at DL 81, which has a Equipment Change in ATL, and we also need to clear CBP there. Connection time is 1hr 35 min. Last year we connected in DTW, with a connection time of 1hr 45 min, and we had plenty of time, but then we were on a very early flight, and the airport was very quiet. We understand that ATL frequently gets much busier, but perhaps this is also reflected by the staffing?

Of course we can purchase a flight with longer connection time, but we only want to get to Disney as quickly as possible.

Thank you so much!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NLNO
...We are looking at DL 81, which has a Equipment Change in ATL,...
I have the same problem every year with the SYD-ATL route which usually has a change of equipment at LAX.

Your case is much the same and DL has the obligation to and will take care of you to make sure that if you do misconnect, they will put you on the next flight which, in the case of MCO, is usually only an hour later.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by monitor
...put you on the next flight which, in the case of MCO, is usually only an hour later.
Thanks, I know this, but I am more curious about the chances that this connection actually works. I would LOVE to be in Florida as early as possible.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NLNO
Thanks, I know this, but I am more curious about the chances that this connection actually works. I would LOVE to be in Florida as early as possible.
I would guess that, unless you carry a US passport, your odds are not much better than 50-50.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I am flying MCI-ATL-AUA with a 55m layover. I am supposed to arrive in Domestic Term.-South, and I'm pretty sure the flight to AUA departs out of the new international terminal. I'm flying in First/BusinessElite on both segments, which operate with 757s. Can I make it? Will my bags make it? tyia
Old Jun 23, 2012, 7:22 pm
mpp

A schedule change has put my connecting time in ATL in the new International Terminal (coming from BRU) to 1hr9min to connect to a domestic flight. If I miss that flight there is another but currently is sold out. I do have global entry but will be coming in at BRU-ATL in economy comfort.

Seems tight to me; what does everyone else think?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL
If you have to transfer to the domestic terminal, yes that is a bit tight.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: delta
short connection time

FLL to PDX via ATL with only 50 min for connection... 9-15 (sat) 4:30pm departure time... I've never been at ATL...
Thanks for your help...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: delta
never mind / thanks

I found it in this forum on a sticky... thanks
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Prepare by finding the airport web site and becoming familiar with the airport's layout. Check flight status to see typical gates starting now for yesterday's flights and find these gates on your airport map. As a general rule, gates with the same letter preceding the number are all on the same corridor. To get between gates with different letters, you go to the center of the corridor where you are then look for escalators/elevators to the basement level where there will be a little train (or you can walk if the train seems to be messed up but the train is almost always faster). Get off at the right stop for your departure letter, go up the escalator/elevator, and determine whether you should walk left or right to your gate number. It's really easy but you won't have time to waste.

Wear clothing that enables you to walk fast and take only the carry on that you can manage easily without it slowing you down. Of course get your boarding pass through OLCI or at your departure airport.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
and OLCI at T-24 to snag a seat near the front

Originally Posted by WaianaeGal
FLL to PDX via ATL with only 50 min for connection... 9-15 (sat) 4:30pm departure time... I've never been at ATL...
Thanks for your help...
Do everything MSPeconomist says, and OLCI at T-24 to snag a seat near the front, if you don't already have one. Deplaning from row 44 could make things much too interesting.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AKC6
Do everything MSPeconomist says, and OLCI at T-24 to snag a seat near the front, if you don't already have one. Deplaning from row 44 could make things much too interesting.
Good point.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by AKC6
And snag that seat towards the front before Delta starts charging for the privilege of getting off the plane earlier!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.