Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Of course then had to call the number, find out the luggage was on the original flights and go tell AA they could pay to deliver the luggage which they never handled.
That is correct - the carrier that transports you is responsible for your checked baggage, even if (as you note) they never touched it.

David
Old May 11, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DiverDave
That is correct - the carrier that transports you is responsible for your checked baggage, even if (as you note) they never touched it.
Specifically, the carrier that transports you on your last segment.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:32 pm

Bid a $400 for DEN-LGA Monday afternoon departure
Told GA my planned route DEN-SLC-JFK redeye to get more MQM while no late for work :P
Old May 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by dabu
redeye to get more MQM while no late for work :P
Is no sleep before work worth a few extra MQM? I could see doing it for a couple thousand extra!
Old May 19, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Is no sleep before work worth a few extra MQM? I could see doing it for a couple thousand extra!
A few extra MQM plus a bunch of pseudo-cash.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta HHonors Marriott Hertz
ATL-CRW

ATL-CRW 5/19 3:30pm flight was 3 over. I bid $500 at the kiosk. They started at $600 at the gate. I ended up with $800 and a premium seat on the 8:42pm flight.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmontoya1015
ATL-CRW 5/19 3:30pm flight was 3 over. I bid $500 at the kiosk. They started at $600 at the gate. I ended up with $800 and a premium seat on the 8:42pm flight.
Kiosk bids do seem to be pretty meaningless, possibly Delta uses them as raw data to guess at starting bids. Has anybody asked a GA how they determine those?
Old May 21, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
Has anybody asked a GA how they determine those?
An n of 1 and not a completely scientific observation. Flying SLC-ORD a few weeks ago, with an oversell of 2. I asked the agent what he was offering and he said "since it will be an overnight, $600 and hotel and meal vouchers."
Didn't end up using anyone because two folks connecting from LAX were apparently lost at SLC and missed the connection. (I'm guessing they didn't reset for the time change and thought they had an hour to spare.)
Old May 21, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mot29
An n of 1 and not a completely scientific observation. Flying SLC-ORD a few weeks ago, with an oversell of 2. I asked the agent what he was offering and he said "since it will be an overnight, $600 and hotel and meal vouchers."
Didn't end up using anyone because two folks connecting from LAX were apparently lost at SLC and missed the connection. (I'm guessing they didn't reset for the time change and thought they had an hour to spare.)
Sure, overnights are more; but what is the formula, or do they play it by ear?
Old May 21, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I should've known better...

ATL-PHL last week. Bid $500 at kiosk. Got to gate and asked agent if she needed volunteers - she said looks like they won't, but asked for my seat number anyway.

Went to grab dinner, came back, and it appeared that they were clearing a bunch of people from the SB list already so I boarded with SKY and took my seat in FC.

Halfway through boarding, GA comes on and says she didn't want me to board and if I was still willing to volunteer. I said yes and she said she'd come get me.

Boarding finishes, GA comes back on, and says she didn't need me after all as there were a couple people who hadn't boarded yet that she was able to use.

Kudos to the GA for coming on board to check and keeping me informed, and of course I'd expect that she'd VDB the folks who hadn't boarded yet. But I'm still kicking myself from not stopping to ask her a second time before I got on the plane...
Old May 21, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
Originally Posted by mot29
Are they still doing meal vouchers? A DL agent in SLC wouldn't give me any in March. I asked and she simply said they weren't doing them any more. I did get a hotel voucher by the way.

Last edited by drew870mitchell; May 21, 2015 at 10:14 am Reason: added more information
Old May 21, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Deleted
Old May 21, 2015, 4:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drew870mitchell
Are they still doing meal vouchers? A DL agent in SLC wouldn't give me any in March. I asked and she simply said they weren't doing them any more. I did get a hotel voucher by the way.
Seems to be a YMMV situation. I got a $10 meal voucher at RDU on a bump back in March.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Has anyone tried successfully (or not) to get a GUC or RUC instead of a e-voucher? RUC probably not so much value compared to the e-voucher though.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mills1090
Has anyone tried successfully (or not) to get a GUC or RUC instead of a e-voucher? RUC probably not so much value compared to the e-voucher though.
IMO, this seems extremely unlikely. RUC/GUC's are limited to choice benefits options for PM/DM. Can't imagine DL ever offering these to the general public in place of a voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.