Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
It's about 40% of the internet.
^^^^

We're not worthy....
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
ATL-PHL last night and they were offering $800+hotel as a starting point. I was first in line but the next flight they could offer was 11am the next morning. Apparently all the flights yesterday evening were oversold by a ton.

Oh well..at least the FA was pouring hefty Woodfords in F.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I'm surprised there aren't many reports here from yesterday. Nearly every route I checked on any airline had one or none seats available for sale. I've never seen such an oversell situation across the entire network. I guess it was spring breakers?
Bidding started at $800+hotel for ATL-PHL last night. Apparently the last 5 flights of the night (according to the SC agent) were all oversold. Alternate flight offered was 11am today.

When I boarded, GA had gotten two to bite, but was still looking for a couple more. I would have taken any flight later in the evening but alas, could not delay overnight.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nichojo
That's great! I got $X for going from XXX-XXX in X on a Boeing XXX the other day!

Shut the front door! You have got to be kidding me!!!! That is like the trip of a lifetime! Please post pics!!!................

Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
OK. The flt my wife and myself scored $1200 each was LAS-SEA Sunday night. I'm still looking for her boyfriend.

I hope DL yield mgt does not wise up. LAS is very busy Sunday nights. Hint, book the last flt of the night, be nice and ask the gate agent!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by kettle1
Well I just arrived home and found out my wife has a boyfriend. They were in bed! The kids were sleeping in the next room.

Actually, both my wife and myself scored $1,200 each XXX-SEA. Thank you DL! I love flying out of XXX on Sundays! You would think DL management could figure it out. I love it. I will book again next Sunday. Win-win. ^ Score!
Neither my employer nor my wife will allow me to buy XXX tickets.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
I only scored $700 for 3 hrs delay for Atl-ric, but on my later flt they were offer 1,100 for overnight, all the flts to Orf, Phf, or Was were all sold out, I tried getting the 1,100, but I could not overnight and I asked for meal vouchers and ga said they don't give them out anymore, is this true?

Last edited by yuel; Apr 13, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuel
I only scored $700 for 3 hrs delay for Atl-ric, but on my later flt they were offer 1,100 for overnight, all the flts to Orf, Phf, or Was were all sold out, I tried getting the 1,100, but I could not overnight and I asked for meal vouchers and ga said they don't give them out anymore, is this true?
For $1,100, I can buy myself a nice steak dinner using some of the $ I would have spent on DL tickets and still come out ahead.

But I don't know the answer to your question about vouchers.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I'm surprised there aren't many reports here from yesterday. Nearly every route I checked on any airline had one or none seats available for sale. I've never seen such an oversell situation across the entire network. I guess it was spring breakers?
Bidding started at $600 + hotel for MSP-MDW yesterday (Sunday). They needed 2 people. I offered if I could have been put on the last UA flight to ORD, but GA claimed it would have to be on DL. One guy took at $600, then at boarding the offer was $1,000 + hotel. Wish I could have taken it, but I needed to be on that flight.

As an aside, I may need to fly to SDF the night before the derby, I can already smell the money!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I spoke with the Red Coat at BNA this morning. She said that every flight on Sunday had at least one VDB of $800+.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:54 pm

We received $500 each, hotel, and confirmed in F. As a FO the confirmed F was a very nice bonus since there would have been no chance of an upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by boatnfish
We received $500 each, hotel, and confirmed in F. As a FO the confirmed F was a very nice bonus since there would have been no chance of an upgrade.
From where to where when? How oversold were they?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by yuel
Supposed to be no meal vouchers. But, you know, just like most everything around here.....YMMV. Depends on GA/Redcoat/phase of the moon/time of day or night/etc. Just like it's "supposed" to be no upgrade to FC. Ehhhhh.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Scored $600 a person on ATL-DAB yesterday. MD-90, 7 over. Bid $300 at the kiosk at CMH because I'd once been told the bid didn't matter and that's apparently true because the agent started at $500, then moved it to $600.

No meal vouchers and premium seating on the next flight out, so it worked out.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by JSprague24
Scored $600 a person on ATL-DAB yesterday. MD-90, 7 over. Bid $300 at the kiosk at CMH because I'd once been told the bid didn't matter and that's apparently true because the agent started at $500, then moved it to $600.

No meal vouchers and premium seating on the next flight out, so it worked out.
Like everything in the VDB world...it varies by gate agent and flight situation. I once put in a bid for $300 assuming I'd get home that night. It was not possible to get home that night...so I wanted $400. The GA said she'd move on to the next volunteers...they all turned down her offer too...and it eventually came back to me for $400. The GA spent half an hour trying to save $100 on this voucher. She seemed rather green...and fresh from DL school. So YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.