Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
From where to where when? How oversold were they?
LAS to DTW last Friday. I believe it was 4 over.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
BOS-JFK yesterday (Sunday before the marathon) -- I bid $500 at olci -- I always put in the highest number, just to get on the list.

Sure enough, I was paged by name. i was able to get another connection via LGA, upgraded on both legs. I arrived half an hour later than scheduled, and they gave me the $500. (He asked "do you want the 500 delta dollars or a gift card?" I didn't ask how much the gift card was for -- figured it had to be less than the D$.)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

SAT APR 25 2015 LAX-ATL DL 1354 Red Eye, 767-300ER, was oversold by 9 people. The gate agents are a bit coy about open air bidding over the PA system, so it was never announced but when I asked privately I was told it was oversold by 9. When the gate agent said it'd probably be $500, I told him I might be able to do it for $800+ at which point he laughed and said it would never get that high.

Wasn't worth the trouble as I was happy with my lay-flat seat :-)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fri 4/24 they were offering $800 for the delayed 6:30pm JFK-BOS flight. Didn't get to inquire but sounded like it would involve an overnight since the next flight was sold out and LGA was full too.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
6/26 DTW-LGA they were offering $200 for the 5:30 flight (an earlier flight was delayed to 6:00 so only a half hour delay and more likely upgrade) but they ended up not needing anybody.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Somewhat unusual event re: VDB

On Monday 4/20 my wife and I were scheduled to fly home DFW-SLC-MCO (Yes, strange route but was cheapest, gave us more MQM and we don't mind getting home late (11:05 PM)). We were 2 and 3 for 2 seats on the first flight and 2 and 3 for 3 seats on the 2nd flight, but were satisfied with our C+ seats.

We were in gate area a while before our 2:15 flight and never heard any announcement. We were called up by name to the counter and I assumed they wanted to know if we would take 1 FC if available (has happened before). We always decline and make someone very happy.

The GA asked if we would like to take a direct flight home (obviously not DL) and get home 4 hours earlier. We knew we wouldn't get great seats, but it sounded good. In passing she said she would give us a voucher, but I wasn't even thinking about it because she never mentioned being oversold. We got our tickets on AA, had about an hour to change terminals and they were going to try to find our luggage and get it on our new flight. We checkin at the new gate and get our last row seats.

Plane was delayed and the worst part was it took almost an hour for the luggage to be delivered at MCO and low and behold our luggage was never taken off the plane at DFW. Okay, delivery the next day around noon.

But we were quite happy. Besides for getting home about 3 hours early, we each now have a voucher for $800.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If DL is willing to pay AA to fly you, then clearly the flight is oversold.

Couldn't you check on your luggage with the DL app? That might have saved you an hour.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
If DL is willing to pay AA to fly you, then clearly the flight is oversold.

Couldn't you check on your luggage with the DL app? That might have saved you an hour.
I agree, in hindsight the flight had to be oversold; just surprised me no announcement was made.

I checked the app and it said something like information unavailable, call this number. We were assuming the luggage wouldn't be too much longer (DL has been quick getting the luggage out) so just waited. Of course then had to call the number, find out the luggage was on the original flights and go tell AA they could pay to deliver the luggage which they never handled.
Old May 4, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta HHonors Marriott Hertz
I scored $1100 today for ATL-CRW. They were apparently 6 over. I bid $500 at the kiosk when asked. When I got to the gate they started at $700 and went to 800. 900 then finally 1100 just before boarding.
The agent had told me that if the bid goes up while they were trying to find volunteers she would honor that amount for me as well.
I was pretty amazed at $1100 for ATL-CRW as my RT tix cost $1142 (err....cost my company).
Old May 5, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
$1000 for YUL-ATL. I think flight was oversold by 4. I only arrived at the gate after boarding started so I don't know what offers were made beforehand.

As an alternate I was offered YUL-LGA-ATL and arrived in ATL 2 hours later than originally scheduled. Both flights were on time.

I had already been cleared for the upgrade on my original flight, but I sure don't mind risking it for $1,000. The upgrade list for YUL-LGA was cleared before I was confirmed, but I got an exit row (CR7). Upgrade cleared at the gate for LGA-ATL (MD90).

Not too shabby for only losing 2 hours.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Recent Bump Experience

I used miles to get from KOA to RIC and return. Out of pocket was $11.20 and 60,000 miles. I had changed one leg to get an earlier time. That turns out to be a great idea.

Monday I was ticketed RIC-ATL-LAX-KOA. when I checked in at RIC I was told there was an opportunity of overbooked ATL-LAX. I saw the "lottery" thing and decided that I would accept as little as $200 for a bump because I know there are multiple ATL-LAX flights over that time period and the next one was not full.

When I got to ATL they announced the overbook and I approached the GA to ensure they had my name. They were offering $400 for 4 people.

The GA was a bit new and I told her I could be bumped but had to be on the next available flight so I could make a KOA connection. She said OK. After the flight left and they started processing compensation and tickets, she realized that there was only 1 LAX to KOA flight per day and I would miss it. Since their offer had increased to $500 just before flight time, I said "no problem".

I was sent to the Ramada with a voucher and a travel voucher for $500 for future travel. I wish I had grabbed food at Hartsfield Airport before leaving because there was limited food choices available at the hotel.

Tuesday I went back to the airport and found that I was still in coach and had lost my 2 aisle seats. I was able to change the LAX-KOA leg online but the ATL-LAX flight was full. It turns out my middle seat was between a couple and I asked if they would like to sit together. They did and I took the Aisle seat :-)

Normally I would have tried to get bumped again but I was out of medicine and without a car, it would have been difficult to get refills.

My neighbor agreed to feed the dogs another day and all worked out fine.

A side note: My seatmates told me that onthe ATL to LAX flight the movie they watched was a pay movie. On the LAX to HNL it was free. Also, The Big Bang Theory was not available ATL to LAX but was available.

Last edited by Lavarock7; May 6, 2015 at 4:28 pm Reason: Add movie info
Old May 7, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Sounds like a positive situation.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Seems like you did well. I've not been able to score a bump for about 2 years now, been 1st on the list, but no joy for me.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:47 pm

Woohoo! I'm hoping for a bump next week. My first flight is full on the seating chart which usually means 50/50 chance it will actually be full. I was able to get one last time I traveled, though (and tried to get one on the way home but they ended up not needing my seat) so my luck may be dry.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
AGS-ATL-DEN, oversold by 2 on the AGS-ATL leg. Got $500 to take a cab to ATL (they paid) and a later DEN flight for self and co-worker.

2 requests over about a week for original routing credit (MQM and MQS) for the AGS-ATL leg went ignored. We'll see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.