Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think you'd be OK if you then switch to another flight, or even take VDB again, but what you can't do is cancel and refund the full Y ticket, take your VDB compensation, and go home without flying. This is to avoid the situation of someone who deliberately purchases a full Y ticket on on overbooked flight with the plan to use it to collect VDB comp without ever having any intention of flying. There was a report of some guy hanging around the airport and making a lot of money doing exactly this.
I knew someone who once did about 5 VDBs in one day. But he ended up flying; he just wasn't in so much of a hurry that a free ticket for a one-hour delay wasn't a good deal.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by sethb
I knew someone who once did about 5 VDBs in one day. But he ended up flying; he just wasn't in so much of a hurry that a free ticket for a one-hour delay wasn't a good deal.
Nov 21-22 1997: I took six consecutive VDBs off NW DTW-MSY until there was no need for VDB on the seventh flight which I flew.

Once a VDB is issues on a ticket it is refundable less the VDB was what I was told by a few GAs.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Tonight MSP-YEG stated to be over by 3. Got on a YYC flight and an Air Canada connector to YEG. Total delay 2 hrs for $600 USD voucher. Other than a screw up in booking onto AC which I then had to fix on the fly I was pleased with the deal. Was flying paid first class and flew in F to YYC.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:00 am

On Thursday, (05 FEB 2015) was flying Dallas back to Atlanta when my client meeting ran over by 90 minutes (how a meeting runs over by 90 minutes when a pre-set agenda is sent out ahead of time, I have no idea).

I was originally ticketed on the DFW to ATL (DL 28) flight at 2:30PM on a FIRST / BUSINESS fare, and called Diamond line to SDC onto the 4:00PM (DL 1910).

When the meeting keep running over and I knew I wouldn't make 4PM, called Diamond Line to SDC onto later flight, but everything was so oversold I could only get one seat in coach on the DFW to ATL 6:15pm (DL 1810).

Luckily I thought to have Diamond line to check co-terminals, and ended up getting a FIRST seat out of Dallas Love (DAL) on the 6:04pm (DL 2366). Flight was oversold by 3, two people were going to miss connections anyway so decided to overnight in Dallas which meant the flight was oversold my 1x seat. It was the last flight out of Dallas which mean if taking a bum I'd have to overnight. Bidding started at $400 which was too low ball for me given the overnight stipulation.

Dallas flights are almost always overbooked on Sunday evenings and Monday and Thursdays. Racked up at least two vouchers in 2014 ATL to DFW for giving up my seat!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Sunday, ATL-MSP mid-afternoon, DL was offering $500 vouchers, but couldn't guaranty another flight until the next day. I didn't volunteer, but there was no shortage of people willing to do it.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
When one pays using these vouchers do they show up as a form of payment like if you were paying with a CC or do they reduce the fare? How do they show up on the receipt?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
They are just like any other form of payment.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
SEA-DTW tonight, after a couple of volunteers still oversold by 6. As I walked up to the gate they increased the offer to $1000. Went to podium, got confirmed for the next morning 905am via MSP to get to my destination (last seat on that flight, in F). Will arrive 10 hours later than originally planned but for $1000 I can live with that. Did not have to wait around either, got everything straight away and walked straight back to my car.

Oh and they asked if I needed a hotel as well, but I live close enough to the airport that I'd rather sleep in my own bed :-)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
MSP-DEN last night was overbooked by 7 people. At T-30, the gate agents were offering $800 for a flight the next morning.

On my way to the jet bridge for boarding, I mentioned that I would be willing to volunteer if they went higher. The gate agents immediately perked up and offered me $1000 shortly thereafter. I was happy to accept!
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
SEA-ATL red-eye on 1/18. Bumped to a connection through MSP that night (on a 767!), bumped to first class, and $500 voucher.

Right before leaving SEA I got notice my morning flight was delayed so I rebooked myself on a double connection SEA-MSP-ATL-home. I wanted the freebie MQS and MQMs Only got home about 3 hours later than originally planned, too.

Question: since the agent re-issued my ticket in full F class (as seen on my delta.com receipt), do I get the 200% MQM bonus?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by 13thandseven

Question: since the agent re-issued my ticket in full F class (as seen on my delta.com receipt), do I get the 200% MQM bonus?
In my (limited) experience: no. I had the same earlier this week, they booked me LAX-SLC-SEA in F, even had a separate eticket number. But once flown, my skymiles account was only credited for the normal rates of MQM's, and the total MQD's and RDM's were the same as what I had paid for my original ticket. The only thing that stuck was the extra MQM's for having flown additional miles (via SLC vs. direct to SEA).
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
In the old days, yes. Now, very unlikely. DL IT decided that was a more important issue to work on than allowing any of the customer-facing stuff to work properly.

Your account should show "class purchased/flown". MQMs are based on the former.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
700.00 to VDB DFW-ATL 2/13. 4pm flight oversold by 2. VBD'd to the 5:30 flight and arrived final destination 1h15 later than originally scheduled.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
2/12 RDU-ATL $800 looking for four volunteers. Didn't take it cause I had to fly out that day. I think I heard they were giving away $1000 for the last volunteer.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I scored this morning. $600 for the 6:30 AM RDU-MSP. The flight ended up oversold by five. They rebooked me on the 8:48 AM flight and my three hour MSP connection becomes 43 minutes but the rest of my itinerary stays the same. They even threw in a $10 meal voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.