Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2020 and Beyond]

Old Feb 3, 20, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

2000-2019 Version: Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

As others have noted, the current bump thread is broken. We are trying to fix it, but we do not have an ETA. That thread is quite long and almost 20 years old, so we will close it, and open a new one.

Last edited by ryandc99; Feb 4, 20 at 9:50 am
Old Feb 3, 20, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by Stocktc1 View Post
I volunteered at the kiosk but at the baggage drop , they didnt mention anything .

Is it because I had a connection and they probably asked people that didn’t have a connection ? If I had to take another flight , my connection flight would probably make me arrive the next day
They never ask about volunteers at baggage drop, they ask at the gate.
Old Feb 3, 20, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
For the last 8-10 years I have always volunteered for a VDB when flying out of PSC (DM for 4/5 last years) and even asked about it on flights I was sure were not over. I have gotten 3 or 4 from there in the last 6 months, all for $500. Needless to say everyone there knows me. They have even apologized when there were no-shows and I did not get bumped. In December a co-worker and I were talking to the GA waiting on a VDB and she was explaining to him the extent they would go to accommodate me, they would look for me on the manifest if a flight was over and there was a standing order that I would get any reroute I wanted provided those flights were not oversold. I have had bumps which were over by one and the $ value was not mentioned until after the door had closed and got $500. I have heard them announce $200 when over by 1-2 on flights from an adjacent gate so $500 as the only one needed was a bonus. Unfortunately this is likely to end. On 2/4 Skywest is pulling out of providing ground support here and a new company will take over the ground operations and NONE of the Skywest folks decided to move to the new company so a complete changeover in personnel. Now I have to break in a whole new crew just before I retire . I just hope the current crew tells the new crew just how wonderful I am .
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Paplover View Post
For the last 8-10 years I have always volunteered for a VDB when flying out of PSC (DM for 4/5 last years) and even asked about it on flights I was sure were not over. I have gotten 3 or 4 from there in the last 6 months, all for $500. Needless to say everyone there knows me. They have even apologized when there were no-shows and I did not get bumped. In December a co-worker and I were talking to the GA waiting on a VDB and she was explaining to him the extent they would go to accommodate me, they would look for me on the manifest if a flight was over and there was a standing order that I would get any reroute I wanted provided those flights were not oversold. I have had bumps which were over by one and the $ value was not mentioned until after the door had closed and got $500. I have heard them announce $200 when over by 1-2 on flights from an adjacent gate so $500 as the only one needed was a bonus. Unfortunately this is likely to end. On 2/4 Skywest is pulling out of providing ground support here and a new company will take over the ground operations and NONE of the Skywest folks decided to move to the new company so a complete changeover in personnel. Now I have to break in a whole new crew just before I retire . I just hope the current crew tells the new crew just how wonderful I am .
Oh wow, fellow Tri-City resident here, didn't realize Skywest was pulling out of the PSC airport. The ground staff has been fantastic for me the last two years as I've been doing a ton of flying out of PSC.
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
So EWR-SLC was oversold a few days back (I was connecting EWR-SLC-HNL) and I volunteered and they put me on EWR-ATL-HNL. The things is that when I checked in online, I also put in a bid (for $800). But then email I received after the GA processed it has the gift card at $500. Is it normal to have the $500 vs what I entered at check-in time?
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
Did you talk to the GA when you got to the gate? If so what was said about $$? Over Thanksgiving my wife and I bid $800 for some flights and in one case we were told they got the volunteers they needed at the gate for less than $800 but only after I approached the GA. Nothing about the online bid is binding. I have seen GA ignore the electronic list entirely and start fresh at the gate, I have seen them follow it religiously, I have seen them use it as a suggestion. The GA have total discretion on who they pick and the agreed upon terms (compensation, routing, upgrades, etc.) within DL guidance. All that matters is what you agreed to with the GA in person. If the GA did agree on $800 you need to contact DL about the missing compensation, if the GA never verbally agreed to $800 you are likely out of luck. Most likely (guessing from experience here) the GA sought more volunteers at the gate and went to $500 to get enough. Normally everyone gets the highest compensation offered at the gate so you got lumped in with the $500 offer.

If you enter a bid online or at the kiosk you always need to talk to the GA as soon as you get to the gate to verify that the GA is actually considering you and to set terms prior to departure.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 2:57 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx View Post
So EWR-SLC was oversold a few days back (I was connecting EWR-SLC-HNL) and I volunteered and they put me on EWR-ATL-HNL. The things is that when I checked in online, I also put in a bid (for $800). But then email I received after the GA processed it has the gift card at $500. Is it normal to have the $500 vs what I entered at check-in time?
To about 95% of the GAs I have dealt with, the online list means nothing. However, the GA (and you) should have discussed what the specific compensation was before you accepted.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:44 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
The title sounds a bit ominous, "....and beyond" [cue the 2001 A Space Odyssey soundtrack]

2020 and Beyond
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
To about 95% of the GAs I have dealt with, the online list means nothing. However, the GA (and you) should have discussed what the specific compensation was before you accepted.
This is the same for UA and AA. There are conspiracy theories out there that the online or kiosk bidding process is a red herring to just get metrics on what passengers "would" take. I have no opinion in this one way or the other but the GA has final control over any VDB situations and what they enter into their computer is what you are going to get so always make sure that you and the GA are on the same page.
volabam likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
How much time did the re-route cost you in HNL?
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
I was in F/D1 so going via ATL did not "hurt" me. I was just surprised that the online bid was not honored and a different one was used. I also did not confirm any $ amount with the GA ahead of acceptance (so perhaps lesson learned here). By the time I got to the gate, it was T-15 min (there was still a huge line boarding) and I simply walked up and asked if they were still looking for volunteers. The GA looked at my ticket, confirmed that she had space in F/D1 to HNL and asked me to wait on the side. At T-5, she told me to walk over to the ATL gate where they had my boarding passes printed out and I boarded ATL at T-3. The GA never mentioned any $ amount and I simply assumed whatever I had put in online check-in is what it would have been...
Old Feb 5, 20, 9:22 am

I was in F/D1 so going via ATL did not "hurt" me. I was just surprised that the online bid was not honored and a different one was used. I also did not confirm any $ amount with the GA ahead of acceptance (so perhaps lesson learned here). By the time I got to the gate, it was T-15 min (there was still a huge line boarding) and I simply walked up and asked if they were still looking for volunteers. The GA looked at my ticket, confirmed that she had space in F/D1 to HNL and asked me to wait on the side. At T-5, she told me to walk over to the ATL gate where they had my boarding passes printed out and I boarded ATL at T-3. The GA never mentioned any $ amount and I simply assumed whatever I had put in online check-in is what it would have been...
Ask if not told. BTW...if they would have "given" you $800...then, they would have been obligated, supposedly, to give all volunteers $800. Unless that's changed. Would have been willing to back out if you'd known it was $500?
Old Feb 5, 20, 12:22 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Quick update on the 2000-2019 thread. it seems to be permanently broken. I don't think we can restore those missing posts
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 5, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
Quick update on the 2000-2019 thread. it seems to be permanently broken. I don't think we can restore those missing posts
Yeah that thread got FUBAR'ed quite a bit. Was receiving email notifications of new posts, but nothing was there, then even when making a new post it would just disappear into a black hole after submitting it. Thank you for trying!
Old Feb 5, 20, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
I agree. I have bid online for dozens of flights and usually nothing happens (they have enough seats at the gate.) But two anecdotes:

1. Had a flight DTW-IAH that I bid online $500. Had a tight connection and boarded near the end / didn't hear the announcements. The GA comes ON BOARD and asks me at my seat if I still want to take a bump. I declined since at that point I was ready to get to Houston. She used a PA on board and got another volunteer!

2. Had a flight MSP-MSN same thing. This time, at the gate, before any announcements, they paged me to ask if I would still take a bump. I declined since the available option at that point was VERY late but I talked another passenger (student) into doing it and explained how it works.

So once in a while, the online list gets used.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: