Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by mills1090
Has anyone tried successfully (or not) to get a GUC or RUC instead of a e-voucher? RUC probably not so much value compared to the e-voucher though.
I don't think these exist in the GA's toolbox, so it would be hard for them to offer you one.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Sorry to anyone whose flight was cancelled last night, but it has been a perfect storm for me today. Was scheduled on LGA-CVG-SEA. LGA-CVG was Y+12 last night, went down to Y+4 this morning, one no showed. I conservatively accepted $400 plus re-route LGA-MSP-SEA (also was offered a $399 gift card at LGA instead of the $400 -- interesting program they have going in LGA/JFK/LAX). Landed in MSP, no seat assignment yet. Got assigned in the last row, but asked about changing seats. GA tells me she is Y+4 at the moment, and could use a volunteer and would guarantee F on the next flight and a $400 VDB. Took the second bump.
TL;DR: Got bumped twice for $800 and moved into F for second leg.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Trying to book using one of these vouchers. The way I read the T&C, if I book me + companion together, I should be able to use the voucher for me and residual value for the companion...but that doesn't seem to be the way it works on the website.

How do I get it to work or am I SOL and have to save residual value for the future?
Old May 26, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Family of four bumped today from SLC-BOI 9:50 AM flight for a whopping $800 voucher per person + $30 in airport food vouchers per person. Gladly spent 5,000 Hyatt points to go let the kids swim in the pool for the day and taking the late 45 min flight later tonight.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by dk240t
Trying to book using one of these vouchers. The way I read the T&C, if I book me + companion together, I should be able to use the voucher for me and residual value for the companion...but that doesn't seem to be the way it works on the website.

How do I get it to work or am I SOL and have to save residual value for the future?
I couldn't get it to work on the website either and had to call. They used my wife's voucher for her ticket and my ticket and she still has the remaining value.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
ATL/MSP was offering $1300 per ticket this morning and they were still looking for 9 more to take the offer when I boarded.....this after about ten took them up on the offer
Old May 26, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I couldn't get it to work on the website either and had to call. They used my wife's voucher for her ticket and my ticket and she still has the remaining value.
That is universal advice for everything DL. When the website does not do something you want to do (which is anything more advanced than a basic paid R/T ticket)...call. Maybe if they get enough calls, they will make their website work.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pgh234
That is universal advice for everything DL. When the website does not do something you want to do (which is anything more advanced than a basic paid R/T ticket)...call. Maybe if they get enough calls, they will make their website work.
Maybe. It hasn't happened yet.

Maybe they get enough people who don't know to get the $25 fee waived that a broken website is profitable.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone found rhyme or reason to the VDB offers at OLCI?

It seems that on the couple of flights I've had lately where the GA actually needed and was asking for volunteers, there was no VDB screen at OLCI or the kiosk (a couple hours before flight time).

But I do seem to get the VDB offer at OLCI and/or kiosk on about half of my flights. When I go to the gate and ask the GA, they seem confused, look at their screen, and say they're completely fine. As far as I can tell, they are, since the GIDS shows many seats available and they are clearing at least a handful of UGs and SBs even in advance of boarding.

For example, I just checked in for a flight leaving in about 5 hours. VDB screen at OLCI, but out of curiosity I went and tried to book the flight in another browser. DL.com is still willing to sell at least 7 coach tickets on this flight...and at least two of them in a fare class that prices slightly less than the "standard" $400 VDB amount.

I'm more curious than anything. Seems like an algorithm somewhere is going bonkers.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Putting on tin foil hat...Datamining?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by gooselee
Has anyone found rhyme or reason to the VDB offers at OLCI?
Not I...

I understand that availability can change quickly during IROPs etc., but usually when I've been proactive and approached the GA like yourself I'm met with .
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm more curious than anything. Seems like an algorithm somewhere is going bonkers.
Probably the same logic that doesn't work for award routings.
Last week I was booked MSY-MSP-DCA. The checkin screen didn't offer me any changes, but as a Diamond I tried calling and was offered an earlier flight through ATL at no charge.
But when I went in to select seats I got a VDB offer. I indicated I was willing -- the agent at the SkyClub at MSY told me they were -1 MSY-ATL so it was possible, but not likely. At the gate the agent said -- "no its all fine."

A few weeks ago I missed a VDB flying SLC-ORD (and it was a generous offer). It went to the last minute and the agent could see that the connecting passengers had arrived from LAX. But they didn't show up -- I'm guessing they forgot about the time change from LAX to SLC and were having a drink or food somewhere at SLC.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I know we've discussed how GAs have been stingy about giving out Meal Passes , do they ever offer Sky Club Day Passes? Could I use the VDB Voucher $s for admission to the Sky Club?

Last edited by hi55us; Jun 9, 2015 at 8:12 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hi55us
I know we've discussed how GAs have been stingy about giving out Meal Passes , do they ever offer Sky Club Day Passes? Could I use the VDB Voucher $s for admission to the Sky Club?
I asked about this at the SkyClub and was told rather abruptly that "SkyClub access is not used for service recovery". As always YMMV, but apparently DL policy is No
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Received an $800 voucher for giving up a paid FC seat on an overbooked 7:10AM IAH-ATL (DL810) flight on June 8. Confirmed into 2C on the 11:00AM out of IAH. Considering I got there just before boarding, I was happy with that gift. Two volunteers before me jumped on the 8:10. Wanted to get there earlier but I was towing a sleepy wife (on a separate PNR/took OG 7:10 flight).

That's about the best I've received on a short domestic flight, so far. Spent my time in that atrocious United Club at Terminal A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.