Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by droidcore
Received an $800 voucher for giving up a paid FC seat on an overbooked 7:10AM IAH-ATL (DL810) flight on June 8. Confirmed into 2C on the 11:00AM out of IAH. Considering I got there just before boarding, I was happy with that gift. Two volunteers before me jumped on the 8:10. Wanted to get there earlier but I was towing a sleepy wife (on a separate PNR/took OG 7:10 flight).

That's about the best I've received on a short domestic flight, so far. Spent my time in that atrocious United Club at Terminal A.
I've spent many, many hours at that airport delayed because of storms. Instead of that crappy United Club, I highly recommend hopping on the train over to Terminal D and going to the Air France club. The trip is only about 5 minutes each way -- well worth it for delays more than an hour or so. I've gone there several times, and only once did someone at the front desk try to give me a hard time about going in because I had a Delta ticket instead of AF. Fortunately, I had been there only the week before, and one of the other women working in the club saw me, recognized me, and told her coworker to let me in.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by droidcore
Received an $800 voucher for giving up a paid FC seat on an overbooked 7:10AM IAH-ATL (DL810) flight on June 8. Confirmed into 2C on the 11:00AM out of IAH. Considering I got there just before boarding, I was happy with that gift. Two volunteers before me jumped on the 8:10. Wanted to get there earlier but I was towing a sleepy wife (on a separate PNR/took OG 7:10 flight).

That's about the best I've received on a short domestic flight, so far. Spent my time in that atrocious United Club at Terminal A.
How much did the people who got the earlier flight get?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
I've spent many, many hours at that airport delayed because of storms. Instead of that crappy United Club, I highly recommend hopping on the train over to Terminal D and going to the Air France club. The trip is only about 5 minutes each way -- well worth it for delays more than an hour or so. I've gone there several times, and only once did someone at the front desk try to give me a hard time about going in because I had a Delta ticket instead of AF. Fortunately, I had been there only the week before, and one of the other women working in the club saw me, recognized me, and told her coworker to let me in.
What did you use for admission to the AF club?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: DL PM
Last week my ATL-FCO flight was overbooked and they started at $1300 (which was the max). Unfortunately, they wouldn't route us on Air France or KLM that evening, said the only option was to take the same DL flight the next day.

After much deliberation (aka convincing of my girlfriend), we took it. Did I mention we got these RT tickets with 60K miles each too?

Question: do I have to spend all $1300 of the voucher in the next year, or does it reissue with another year each time I use part of it?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Question: do I have to spend all $1300 of the voucher in the next year, or does it reissue with another year each time I use part of it?
You have one year to spend it (if you spend it towards the end, it can be for tickets for travel after that year).
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
If you don't use all $1300 the remainder will be deposited back into your voucher list as a new one.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
Great info. I've heard the KLM Lounge is nice, too. Will definitely take this into consideration next time stranded in Houston (which is a lot—good ole Texas storms).

Originally Posted by sethb
How much did the people who got the earlier flight get?
Believe they took $300 if I overheard correctly. I had originally bid $400 at online check-in, but somehow this boomed up to double that. Perhaps it had something to do with standing around during two different boarding processes at the gate before getting the voucher/new boarding pass without pitching a fit.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: DL FO
I got $400 yesterday for an overbooked MSP-BWI flight #1361 (3:06pm departure). I was rebooked onto the 7:25pm departure (#1101) into a comparable seat (C+ window) on a arguably nicer plane. I was flying home from a conference with what felt like 1/2 of the department of health and human services, so I knew there was no chance of an upgrade to F. As a bonus, the later flight meant I could hitch a ride home from a colleague instead of taking the light rail.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Two Bumps in One Day!

Tuesday June 16 was my first experience in VDB, and I had beginners luck. Bought an award ticket for 32,500 miles for a one way ATL-SLC the night before.

When I went to OLCI, the volunteer pop-up screen appeared, and I bid $800 to be bumped. Shortly after I got to the gate they were offering $600 to volunteers. I sweated it out and finally got my $800 voucher. I was reticketed ATL-CVG-SLC that would arrive in the evening, six hours after my original flight.

When I got to the gate for the CVG-SLC flight, I asked if they needed anyone. They said they might and just to wait a few minutes while they checked a few things. About 10 minutes later they said that they could offer me $400 and a hotel night if I would take the same flight at 8:30 in the morning. This amount was nonnegotiable. I agreed and received my $400 voucher and a night at the Microtel (one step up from Motel 6).

I requested meal vouchers, but they said they stopped giving them out about a 1 to 1 1/2 years ago. I did get an overnight kit, which is similar to a first-class amenity kit with the inclusion of a T-shirt to sleep in!

All said and done I arrived at my destination 18 hours later than originally planned. I was traveling by myself on no fixed schedule, so it was worth it to me to receive the $1200 in travel vouchers.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by guera
Tuesday June 16 was my first experience in VDB, and I had beginners luck. Bought an award ticket for 32,500 miles for a one way ATL-SLC the night before.

When I went to OLCI, the volunteer pop-up screen appeared, and I bid $800 to be bumped. Shortly after I got to the gate they were offering $600 to volunteers. I sweated it out and finally got my $800 voucher. I was reticketed ATL-CVG-SLC that would arrive in the evening, six hours after my original flight.

When I got to the gate for the CVG-SLC flight, I asked if they needed anyone. They said they might and just to wait a few minutes while they checked a few things. About 10 minutes later they said that they could offer me $400 and a hotel night if I would take the same flight at 8:30 in the morning. This amount was nonnegotiable. I agreed and received my $400 voucher and a night at the Microtel (one step up from Motel 6).

I requested meal vouchers, but they said they stopped giving them out about a 1 to 1 1/2 years ago. I did get an overnight kit, which is similar to a first-class amenity kit with the inclusion of a T-shirt to sleep in!

All said and done I arrived at my destination 18 hours later than originally planned. I was traveling by myself on no fixed schedule, so it was worth it to me to receive the $1200 in travel vouchers.
Ehhh...it's always negotiable. Of course, you stand a chance of losing the VDB if someone else takes the $400. There's usually more than one hotel on the list...so, it never hurts to ask for something better.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:20 pm

I declined. . .

Flying MCI to MSP at 9:02 this morning (6/18). Volunteered for $400 at checkin in. Ticketing agent at bag check told me they were oversold by 6, and they had bumped 5 people off the earlier flight.

At the gate, I inquired, and I was told they could not get me on another flight until 7:37 p.m., and she offered me $600 for the 10 hour delay at MCI. I politely said I was hoping for more for that long of a delay, and she said she had people that had volunteered for $300, so she would process them first.

I thought she was bluffing because I knew half of the people on that plane where leaving the conference I had attended, and they were connecting onwards in MSP, and I had also looked at dummy bookings for DTW, CVG, and ATL, and found very little availability, so I thought that the onward connections would be tough that late in MSP, and rerouting may have been difficult as well.

I don't know what she ended up offering anyone that took a bump (enough people were volunteering that she never made an announcement), but she never came back to me. Maybe local residents took the bump and just went home for the day.

Obviously, I wanted to get home and see my kids after 8 days away, but was I out of line to think I could have gotten more than $600 for spending the whole day at MCI (which doesn't necessarily have the trappings of an MSP)?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You were apparently competing against people who were connecting in MSP, and could get flights connecting elsewhere earlier than yours.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:54 am

Wish we had a wiki on this.

As I said upthread I got two vouchers this last week--$800 voucher from being VDB ATL-SLC (rerouted through CVG) and a $400 voucher from VDB CVG--SLC. These are the first vouchers that I have ever gotten, and I am in the process of learning how to use them.

They were not showing up on the MyTrips page. I called Delta and asked how I could add them into my ecerts account. They said that it was now impossible to do so because the gate agents need to add your SkyMiles number when they make the voucher. She was surprised that it hadn't been added. It cannot be done after the fact, so if I have bump opportunities in the future, I will make sure that my number appears on the voucher.

The rep assured me that I could still apply the vouchers online. I saw where I could do that via this link. You add the certificate numbers and then click through to book the ticket using those certificates.

I will update in this thread when I have successfully booked a ticket using those certs. Please, everyone keep adding voucher info here. There is very little specific information about how to use these vouchers on the web.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
This is extremely generous compensation since it effectively gives you a free round trip in Biz Elite using a system wide to many European cities. I recently used a systemwide and flew BE to LGW for $968.00. The great thing about the compensation is that you can apply it to as many tickets as it was last for (e.g. if you buy one ticket for $500, you still have $500 left to apply to another ticket). By willing to sit in coach for a intra-European flight and then business over the ocean, I'd do it for half that much in a heart beat.
Double ditto!!!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:24 am

How I spent my vouchers

Yesterday I was successful in redeeming one of my vouchers, but only after calling in to Delta.

I wanted to use my $400 voucher for two one-way tickets ATL-HPN. You can redeem vouchers online, but delta.com will only let you redeem for one passenger. Since the tickets I wanted were less than $400 each, I wanted to have the voucher apply to both passengers.

I called in and the representative was able to apply the credit to both tickets. There was a lot of time on hold, but the agent was finally able to do it. The call took 20-30 minutes. The combined price of the two tickets was $516, so I paid $116 with a credit card.

The $25 call-in fee was waived without me asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.