Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Very odd thing happened to me yesterday on a NW flight...volunteers were needed for an overnight stay in DTW to go on the first flight in the morning. Max compensation offered was $300 and a hotel. I thought it was either 400 or 600? And they had to come on board to beg for volunteers so it wasnt like they had too many to raise it to the minimum. Or are NW computers different?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Very odd thing happened to me yesterday on a NW flight...volunteers were needed for an overnight stay in DTW to go on the first flight in the morning. Max compensation offered was $300 and a hotel. I thought it was either 400 or 600? And they had to come on board to beg for volunteers so it wasnt like they had too many to raise it to the minimum. Or are NW computers different?
$300 for an overnight stay is crap. No wonder they had no/few takers. I got $600 10 days ago for arrival 3 hours later. VDBed from a DL flight to NW flight.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
NW and DL still have different VDB comp until the airline becomes one.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
NW always did an UG for an award VDB for GE/PE. As matter of fact, they always book into F (fare flown, not necessarily paid). They just booked into F. Seems like DL may be doing differently?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Had a Delta GA not offer me the full $400 the other day, and as I was in a hurry to make my new flight, I couldn't argue past the point of just questioning whether or not it was $400.

Emailed Delta the other day and got a rather poor answer in which the agent talked about IDB, not VDB in her response. Any specific place I can quote as VDB=$400 for my response to the reply letting them know that they are off course?

Edit: This is for a DL-coded, DL-metal flight. Nothing NW involved.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Can I get a replacement voucher?

I think I know the answer to this question but I'm hoping I'm wrong: I received a $200 Delta voucher for a VDB in Nov. 2009. I put it away for safekeeping knowing that I had a year to use it, but now I can't seem to find it (not sure if it's lost or stolen).

In any case, is the voucher in Delta's system under my name so that they can either re-issue it or cancel it and provide me with another one (with the same expiration date)? It's not the end of the world if I've lost it but I would like to be able to use it considering the fares keep going up. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by manico
I think I know the answer to this question but I'm hoping I'm wrong: I received a $200 Delta voucher for a VDB in Nov. 2009. I put it away for safekeeping knowing that I had a year to use it, but now I can't seem to find it (not sure if it's lost or stolen).

In any case, is the voucher in Delta's system under my name so that they can either re-issue it or cancel it and provide me with another one (with the same expiration date)? It's not the end of the world if I've lost it but I would like to be able to use it considering the fares keep going up. Thanks for your help.
You may be able to pull it up by your SM # here:

https://www.delta.com/edocviewer/red...erts/index.jsp
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:01 pm

Yeah if the voucher had your SKymiles # attached to it, it'll show up under your profile online.

Just as a suggestion for the future, scan in all vouchers, and email it to yourself. its a good backup for situations such as that which you find yourself in.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hellyea
Yeah if the voucher had your SKymiles # attached to it, it'll show up under your profile online.

Just as a suggestion for the future, scan in all vouchers, and email it to yourself. its a good backup for situations such as that which you find yourself in.
Thanks....I was just thinking that and then I found it! I appreciate the help. Does anyone know what the difference is between an E-Cert and an E-Credit? I'm assuming that the E-Credit is what's issued when I've cancelled flights within and gotten a refund to my credit card but it's curious to see it showing up in my profile as being "open". It says to call the reservations line to use the credit amount but is this a valid credit that I can use?
Old May 26, 2010, 5:52 am

Bump Compensation for Overnight/Next Day is What Nowadays?

I may have a bump opp. tonight and it is the last flight out and would mean an overnight and traveling out the next morning. DL used to offer higher VDB amounts for this - DL once offered $750 for a 300 mile flight (couldn't take due to business schedule). What is DL offering now in this situation?
Old May 26, 2010, 6:00 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Last one I saw was $400
Old May 26, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
was offered $400 for a bump in MEM two weeks ago. $300 for a bump in DTW last week. Negotiate for $400. Of course, I didn't get a bump on either flight, and ended up giving up 25% of my seat to the person next to me on BOTH flights :/

also was offered food credit for MEM since it would have kept me there thru lunch. depending on the time, you should also receive that and you will more than likely have to negotiate how much they give you for lodging, as well.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
It all depends on how many seats are needed and how many people take the offer.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Expect $400 DL dollars but they won't go above $600 DL dollars for a domestic flight (a red coat must do $600).
Old May 26, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Somewhere I read that the general guidelines (not rules - they may be excepted) are:

1-2 hours: $200
2-3 hours: $300
3-4 hours: $400
4+ hours or special circumstances: $600 (theoretical max, and as noted above in this thread, must be approved by a higher-up)

Not sure if it's accurate, but it is what I use as my guideline when negotiating. Of course, as also noted earlier, the more desperate they are to bump people the better position you are in to negotiate up the ladder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.