Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bk3day
since the last post was over a year ago I figured I'd see what the current recommendation is:

I've got a U seat on tonight's 11:59 SLC - JFK flight (#1664).

When i arrived at SLC an hour ago I asked the terminal booking agent if the flight was oversold and she said "Yes by 8 seats"

So iirc, the best offer should be $400 in DD but do I stand a better chance of scoring this and a F seat out later if I volunteer or if i wait for them to start asking for volunteers?
They keep a list of volunteers in order of those coming up to the desk so I would always volunteer even before they ask. You'll be first in line (if somebody hasn't already volunteered).
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
thanks.

for some reason i recall getting lowballed if i was too quick to offer. good to know i was wrong. now all i need is for the GA to show

greetings from the comfort inn at SLC, good thing i was 1st in line 'cause i was the only bump.

so instead of a redeye in coach, i'm on the 8:30am nonstop to JFK in J

Last edited by bk3day; Jul 23, 2007 at 12:51 am Reason: report results of ft success!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Compensation for Bumped Flights

Just read this article. if it's already been posted somewhere...sorry.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am assuming thats for IDB and not VDB?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
doesnt specify..

I got a $200 voucher for VDB yesterday, and read the rules on it, and did say max $200 if they can reroute, and max $400 if they cant get you to your orig destination..

this story however, isn't very clear on if it's IDS or VDB or both...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:44 pm

This certainly isn't Delta-specific...but I'll respond nevertheless.

The press release on the DOT webpage specifies it is for IDB (http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot5308.htm). There was never an regulation regarding VDB, but the IDB rates form a focal point around which to negotiate. I tried looking in the Federal Register for the new rule but couldn't find it.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stevenryals
doesnt specify..

I got a $200 voucher for VDB yesterday, and read the rules on it, and did say max $200 if they can reroute, and max $400 if they cant get you to your orig destination..

this story however, isn't very clear on if it's IDS or VDB or both...
for VDB its 200 if they can get you to your destination within 4 hours of your scheduled time... i am pretty sure on that but could be wrong
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by ianturner
for VDB its 200 if they can get you to your destination within 4 hours of your scheduled time... i am pretty sure on that but could be wrong
For me, VDB has been $400. Delta Connection recently had it bumped up from $200 to $400. Obviously if there are takers at $200, they won't offer $400.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
When does this new rule take affect?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
For me, VDB has been $400. Delta Connection recently had it bumped up from $200 to $400. Obviously if there are takers at $200, they won't offer $400.
Actually...on DL it's a matter of time. Between 1 and 3.5 hours...it's $200 Delta Dollars and for anything over 3.5 hours...it's $400 DD for VDB. IDB is up to $200 for up to 2 hours and $400 for over 2 hours in the form of a check.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:00 pm

Also, in reality, IDB compensation is 100% or 200% of your fare depending on whether you get there within 2 hours. The dollar amounts are caps. So, raising the caps doesn't mean you get $400 necessarily. Your ticket has to be worth $400 first.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by stevenryals
When does this new rule take affect?
30 days after it is published in the Federal Register. They announced it today, so it'll be a week or two before it is published.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
This is for IDB. VDB compensation is always "negotiable" but in practice is set by airline policy.

Note that these new amounts are not amounts that they have to pay you in any case, only that in an IDB situation they have to pay you your ticket value up to the new limits. If you buy cheap tickets, the limit remains low.

In time these might push up VDB comensation somewhat, but I won't be making plans for the larger vouchers anytime soon.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Wrong Advice

While these forums are very useful, I am always amazed at how travelers go here for information rather than contacting the airline directly. If you get an e-mail reply to your question, that is proof of what you can expect to get from the airline. This is what all the travel troubleshooters suggest.

The advice you get here is often very useful, but can be wrong and is unofficial. This is proven here as several posts are very wrong. You are entitled to what is stated in the contract of carriage at the Delta website. The contract of carriage will be updated to comply with these new rules.

Voluntary Denied Boarding is a way for the airline to get around the Involuntary Denied Boarding rules. They would rather given you certificates that expire rather than dollars back. For some particularly if you fly Delta often this is an advantage as the airline is inclined to be more generous when they don't have to give you dollars back. For others it is not useful.

This rule may contribute to an environment where the airlines find it useful to offer more for VDB to avoid paying this greater amount for IDB.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jzumrick
You are entitled to what is stated in the contract of carriage at the Delta website. The contract of carriage will be updated to comply with these new rules.
You are entitled to the greater of what is stated in the Contract of Carriage or what the DOT regulations require, even if, for example, they forget to update the CoC on the day the regulations take effect.

To review:
1. These guidelines apply to IDBs only. VDBs remain a negotiation, though higher IDB limits may push up the amount of VDB required to entice volunteers.
2. Don't forget that the rule is actually 100% of your ticket value to your next stop-over/final destination limited to $200 for a 1-2 hour delay. And 200% of your ticket value to your next stop-over/final destination with a limit of $400 for a 2+ hour delay. The cutoff is 4 hours for an international flight. All that is changing is the caps to $400/$800. If you have a cheap ticket, you may see no benefit from the new rules.
3. The article says it take effect "next month" because the exact date is not defined yet. The effective date is 30 days from the day it is printed in the Federal Register. It normally takes a week or two from announcement of a rule to printing. 30 days from that date, the regulation will go into effect. This is almost certain to be "next month"...but no one knows exactly when yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.