Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:03 pm

all great information on bumps - thanks everyone. one additional comment about eyeing thru the gate area and comparing it to the size of the plane...
I was connecting to an international flight (747) and the gate area had a handful of people but no where close to filling up the cabin. I casually said to the agent, "so it looks like you don't need any volunteers?" He nearly jumped for joy when he realized I was volunteering. Aparantly, there were several other flights coming in with people connecting to this flight - just hand't arrived yet. LESSON - always ask the gate agent. =)

------------------
"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine" -Caskie Stinnett
Old Jul 7, 2003, 8:53 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
What are HK's?

(Also what are RJ's?)
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:27 am
jfl
Original Member

Also, what is E-tour?

Thanks

RJ, I believe stands for Regional Jets. Such as Embraer, Bombardier.

[This message has been edited by jfl (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:13 am
cervisiam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfl:
Also, what is E-tour?

Thanks

RJ, I believe stands for Regional Jets. Such as Embraer, Bombardier.

[This message has been edited by jfl (edited 07-08-2003).]
</font>
www.etour.co.jp/Solar/index.html

it shows load factors in the different fare classes.

Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Bump compensation ?

I fly AA, but in about 2 weeks I will fly DL because it fits the schedule. I just checked the loads and one of the segments seems oversold(MSY-ATL). I may be willing to take a bump. I searched the topic and I got some info, but I need some more answers.

What are Delta bucks,dollars???

If it's just a fancy name for a voucher, what are the restrictions if any on future use of the voucher???

Does DL offer straight cash?

This would be the last flight of the day on that route, and I also have a connection to SRQ from ATL. What does DL offer in situations like this? hotel? meals?

Thanks
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:04 pm
Used to be hamajicky

DL will try and make you take Delta Dollars. If you don't want them, they'll give them to someone else who does, b/c the last thing they want is real cash going out the door.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Delta Dollar$ are for use on a future DL ticket, which DL still gets you to fly with them again.

Also, don't count to heavy on the bump. Oversold flights are common, but actual bumps are less so.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You're getting Delta dollars if you take a voluntary bump. Only involuntary bumps yield cash and if you let them know that you know this, chances are they won't IDB you. Often, it's X cash or 2X DD. If you're going to fly Delta again, it usually makes sense to take the DD, unless you've got a good tip on a horse.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:10 pm

DL religiously oversells ATL-MSY-ATL.
Be sure you get to the gate early.
And, have a plan in mind... when the next flight is... other airlines if necessary... etc.

DL's bump comensation has dwindled dramatically over the past year.

For a brief delay in travel you'll get about $200.00.
Overnight, MAYBE $400.

Don't forget to ask for meal vouchers.
Surprisingly, they can go a long way... and can fund a little celebration dinner for the achievement!

If you do get bumped, please post it at http://www.bumptracker.com

Happy Travels...
Old May 11, 2004, 11:54 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
What are the differences between DD and AA VDB vouchers?

Can I easily swap with other people, mail them to a central processing point, etc etc.

What are the restrictions?

I am use to AA VDB which are easy easy to use. I have a $400 and maybe a $250 voucher to work with......

Thanks

Last edited by TxLobo; May 11, 2004 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 28, 2005, 10:19 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Originally Posted by TxLobo
Can I easily swap with other people, mail them to a central processing point....
A friend has given me a Transportation Voucher (says that in upper right hand corner) that he cannot use as it expires 3/28.

I did a search but cannot find an answer to my question. Any idea if this is easily transferable to me? (I am having trrouble getting a phone call through to DL, I am assuming because of the snowstorm.)

Below the words, "Transportation Voucher" it says:
Non-Refundable
Non-Transferable
TKT may be assigned toa designee - see terms and conditions.

I cannot find any terms and conditions... including in the contract of carriage.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
A friend has given me a Transportation Voucher (says that in upper right hand corner) that he cannot use as it expires 3/28.

I did a search but cannot find an answer to my question. Any idea if this is easily transferable to me? (I am having trrouble getting a phone call through to DL, I am assuming because of the snowstorm.)

Below the words, "Transportation Voucher" it says:
Non-Refundable
Non-Transferable
TKT may be assigned toa designee - see terms and conditions.

I cannot find any terms and conditions... including in the contract of carriage.
Delta DBC Vouchers (also called Transportation Vouchers) can be transferred to another person, but that transfer has to take place at a Delta city ticket office or airport. The "transfering" occurs when the owner of the Voucher buys a ticket for another person.

Happydad
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:13 pm

You can use the voucher for a ticket for someone else (or even a Crown Room membership), however YOU have to go to the airport when the ticket is issued and sign for the voucher at the time it is used. Thus, non-transferable but assignable to a desginee.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:19 pm

Bump Compensation

From a post back in 2003, here is the DBC compensation (for DL mainline only, Skywest/ASA/Comair max at $200). I thought Song was the same as Delta mainline (until a post on the Song bump thread said it was $200 max):

DL's current compensation (6/2003)
$200 Delta Dollars - less than two hours between flights
$300 Delta Dollars - two to three hours between flights
$400 Delta Dollars - more than three hours between flights

Happydad
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:24 pm

Voucher Types

A little off topic, but here are all the voucher types issued by Delta (thanks to someone else who posted this info a few years ago)

Types of vouchers:- Delta Dollars DBC voucher
- Delta Travel Voucher (DTV)
- Miscellaneous Charge Order (MCO)
- Transportation Credit Voucher (TCV)
Delta Dollars DBC voucher
How to obtain: be denied boarding, voluntarily or involuntarily
Usage: specified Dollar amount - for DL tickets or travel related services
Residual Value: returned in form of a DTV
Expiration: travel has to start within one year after voucher issuance
Delta Travel Voucher (DTV)
How to obtain: residual value of a DL$ voucher
Residual Value: returned again in form of a DTV
Expiration: travel has to start within one year after original voucher issuance
Miscellaneous Charge Order (MCO)
How to obtain: various possibilities, e.g.: downgrade of a fare
Usage: specified Dollar amount - for Delta tickets or travel related services
Redidual Value: returned in form of another MCO, all restrictions including original issue date are supposed to be carrier forward to the new MCO
Expiration: ticketing has to occur prior to voucher expiration; travel can occur afterwards
Transportation Credit Voucher (TCV):
How to obtain: customer care
Residual Value: any amount not used is forfeited. MCOs / DTVs are not supposed to be issued for any remaining value.
Expiration: ticketing has to occur prior to voucher expiration; travel can occur afterwards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.