Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:00 am

Several agents I asked confirmed the same thing. $400 voucher good for a year to be used like cash, since I would be delayed by more than 4 hours. Supposedly they would pay for a hotel, ground transportation to their hotel, and meals. Passengers paying cash would also receive a refund of this portion of their itinerary, or half the roundtrip price. Passengers on an award ticket, like me, would get half their SkyMiles back. But I wouldn't arrive in JFK until late the next day, I had things to do waiting at home for me, and I had an assigned seat. So the gate agents agreed that it's in my best interest to board as originally planned. In the end, the gate agent got 3 volunteers and 1 involuntary.
I'm surprised they refund half the miles back? Never heard of that. Sounds like procedures for the IDB, and those choosing VDB would get the $400 voucher, and that's it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Not a regular DL flyer but was scheduled to fly on an IAD-JFK flight yesterday. Arrived at the gate after spending time at the Admirals Club. As I sat down, an announcement was made for volunteers offering $400. Since my final destination was NY, I approached the counter and stated that I could accept a flight to either JFK or LGA. They gave me a $400 voucher, a $6 meal voucher and a voucher for a taxi to DCA to catch a DCA-JFK flight arriving 2 1/2 hours later. Was very pleased since I only paid $68 for the one way ticket!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
VDB compensation, Delta contact

Hi, Delta folks. I'm new to this forum (I spend most of my time on the LH forum).

My in-laws are booked tomorrow FRA-ATL. The online checkin indicates that DL is looking for volunteers to take a flight another day. My in-laws would be willing to do this if the compensation was right, but would really prefer not to travel to FRA at 5:30 tomorrow morning in order to find out.

The DL number in the US seems to be down and their European call centers seem to have no authority to discuss compensation.

What's standard in this situation? They'd be willing to go any time in the next 4 or 5 days if they could get upgraded to business class.

Any hints on how to contact someone at DL beyond the usual US phone numbers?

Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:56 am

As a general rule this is done at the gate. What did it say on the checkin? Did it say "ask at airport" If so, they meant it. Sorry!
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This is only done at airport, because there might be other no shows and they would be able to fly and not need to volunteer
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
As a general rule this is done at the gate. What did it say on the checkin? Did it say "ask at airport" If so, they meant it. Sorry!
Ugh... how inefficient for everyone involved! But yes, it did say that.

I'll keep trying the US 800 number... although seems a hopeless case given the east coast weather.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:00 am

just because you put your name on the list it does not mean you will be VDB so you would still have to go to the airport. The list is just because they expect to potentially be in an oversell situation and will need volunteers and they would rather know ahead of time who has the most flexibility
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
just because you put your name on the list it does not mean you will be VDB so you would still have to go to the airport. The list is just because they expect to potentially be in an oversell situation and will need volunteers and they would rather know ahead of time who has the most flexibility
Thanks, these are useful responses. Anybody know what the compensation typically is for a VDB for a TATL flight?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The usual procedure is that unless one is rebooked ahead of time (and that negates the right to compensation) one needs to be at the airport in time to catch the flight, as there is no guarantee that they will need volunteers (for example, there may be a lot of no-shows or people who missed a connection). Indication of being willing to volunteer upon check-in does not mean that they will actually need your seat. The amount of compensation depends on how much the flight is overbooked, and there is no set standard; for international flights often it is $500 or so in the form of a Delta voucher. I would think that this time of year business class will be pretty much filled due to IRROPS (irregular operations). I do not think there is a way around showing up at the airport in time for the flight if one wants to be a compensated volunteer....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Usually depends on the time it takes for them to get you out on another flight. For anything greater than 2 hours, $400 tends to be a minimum. Not sure how this is affected by the rollout of the PMNW bidding system.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PHXflier
The usual procedure is that unless one is rebooked ahead of time (and that negates the right to compensation) one needs to be at the airport in time to catch the flight, as there is no guarantee that they will need volunteers (for example, there may be a lot of no-shows or people who missed a connection). Indication of being willing to volunteer upon check-in does not mean that they will actually need your seat. The amount of compensation depends on how much the flight is overbooked, and there is no set standard; for international flights often it is $500 or so in the form of a Delta voucher. I would think that this time of year business class will be pretty much filled due to IRROPS (irregular operations). I do not think there is a way around showing up at the airport in time for the flight if one wants to be a compensated volunteer....
I thought ex-EU VDB comp was more like $1,000 DD but could be wrong.

There have been a few reports of people receiving phone calls from Delta offering a voucher and a re-route a few days in advance but those are few and far between. Your only option is to go to the airport and see what the situation is.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by econprof
Thanks, these are useful responses. Anybody know what the compensation typically is for a VDB for a TATL flight?
I have heard $800 as of late.

Never say never, but I don't believe you will arrange for VDB anywhere but at the airport within three hours of scheduled departure. A weather cancellation or a bunch of no-shows could 'solve' the day's problem so Delta is unlikely to commit to compensation well in advance.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 27, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:17 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by TTT
I thought ex-EU VDB comp was more like $1,000 DD but could be wrong.
IDB comp is fairly high but VDB is totally up to negotiation between airline and pax.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I have heard $800 as of late.

Never say never, but I don't believe you will arrange for VDB anywhere but at the airport within three hour of scheduled departure. A weather cancellation or a bunch of no-shows could 'solve' the day's problem so Delta is unlikely to commit to compensation well in advance.
You're right, I didn't read int'l. Usually a bit higher.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by econprof
Ugh... how inefficient for everyone involved! But yes, it did say that.
Inefficient for everyone except the airline. This is the only way that they can make sure that they're not giving out VDBs unnecessarily. As others have said, missed connections, changed flight plans, etc. make it really easy for oversold flights to just become full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.