Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
it was in my hand too, for a short while

I have experienced "bumpus interruptus" a few times. In my mind I had already spent the Delta dollars. I have learned to have little confidence in it until the aircraft boarding door closes and the jetway is retracted. But it still hurts.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
I've experienced most things in my couple years of heavy travel. Once, GA printed out and gave me voucher before flight was closed and strongly apologized for giving me a voucher and then taking it back. Actually in this case, when I landed at the hub for my connection GA had called my cell phone and my wife and actually apologized again and but also said that since I was so accomodating, I could kept the voucher. (she read voucher number over phone and I confirmed it in my account.? I've also volunteered and was not needed and GA gave me 2500 bonus miles for being willing to help (appreciated that one), but recently I was told to wait to board and when she didn't need me, and told me to board all of the overhead space was gone and I had to check my bag to final destination, with no miles. I should have written a compliant but I didn't. So you never know how it's going to turn out, but I agree grab and run.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
In the future, as soon as you have a voucher in hand, LEAVE THE GATE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Sometimes agents will issue the vouchers when there's still a chance that people might show up. If you're lucky enough to get one, take it and go find a nice place to sit until the plane is gone. Then if you need to be rebooked, go back later. I had a VDB situation back in April where the GA processed my brother and I way too early and we hightailed it as soon as we had vouchers in hand. The plane went out with nine empty seats. Had we stuck around, we probably would have had the same experience as you.

Good for the GA putting you in F and giving you miles though, that's something.
Old May 23, 2011, 4:20 pm
t2r

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by rylan
One thing to request when you are volunteering is that you don't lose your original seat until they are certain they don't need you.

Not sure on what particular flights/routes, but with how packed airlines are flying there are more opportunities in general. With DL I've heard that the connection carriers like SkyWest on an RJ100 (ugh) tend to be oversold a lot.
thanks for the original seat tip!
Old May 23, 2011, 4:21 pm
t2r

Originally Posted by CalVol
I wonder what would have happened if, upon receiving the voucher, you had left to wait for your next flight at a restaurant or Skyclub? Did they ask you to stick around to be sure?
I know, I am kicking myself, I should have ran like a bat out of hell.
Old May 23, 2011, 4:23 pm
t2r

Originally Posted by TWA A380
You got an upgrade, 2000 miles, and an apology. That's nice. If you really wanted the $400 voucher, then we all learned....take it and run out of the gate area and into the rest room and hide there until the plane has taken off. Later, you can also use the excuse that you were trying to potty. You can even make it true by actually trying to potty. Getting rid of doo-doo is always healthy....reduces the chance of colon cancer.
yes, I will run like hell away from the counter.. I am kicking myself for sticking around. UGHHHH
Old May 23, 2011, 4:25 pm
t2r

Originally Posted by naijaman
once I receive a voucher, i dont look back!!!! i walk away as fast as possible, cos of situations like this

hmmmm.....i will call customer service and check if the voucher # was attached to your reservation, ofcourse dont tell CS the voucher was withdrawn before boarding.
The GA may have just ripped the paper and not actually withdrawn it electronically.....

goodluck!
oh good point! I will call cs!
Old May 23, 2011, 4:48 pm
t2r

I wonder what would have happened if, upon receiving the voucher, you had left to wait for your next flight at a restaurant or Skyclub? Did they ask you to stick around to be sure?
no, they didn't ask me to stick around but she was going to check me in for the next flight. I should have just ran. They made several announcements for the passenger, but no one showed up.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:03 pm
t2r

Originally Posted by naijaman
once I receive a voucher, i dont look back!!!! i walk away as fast as possible, cos of situations like this

hmmmm.....i will call customer service and check if the voucher # was attached to your reservation, ofcourse dont tell CS the voucher was withdrawn before boarding.
The GA may have just ripped the paper and not actually withdrawn it electronically.....

goodluck!
thanks for the tip, I called cs and there was no voucher # attached to my rsvp/e-ticket. damn. it was worth a shot. thank you.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:27 am

Just to reiterate what others have said.....

When you volunteer make it very very clear that you will volunteer ONLY if they keep your original seat open and that if they do not need to bump anyone that you keep your ORIGINAL seat.

Being empathic about this has saved me several times when they ended up not needing my seat.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:45 am

In my opinion, unless the agent specifically reserves the right to revoke the voucher if you are not needed as a volunteer, the voucher and whatever other compensation you worked out is yours, period, once you have it. If they want it back, they have to negotiate for it.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I was flying the last ATL-IAH flight a few Sundays back so me and my friend decided to see if the flight was oversold and they needed volunteers. The Gate didn't appear crowded, so I figured they wouldn't but what the heck.
She said yes, she's offering $400, night at the Marriott Gateway, meal vouchers, and the 8am flight to IAH the next day in F.
We both said yes, she printed everything out, and we left the gate. (The plane hadn't even gotten to the gate yet, nevermind boarding started or door closed)
In many cases, this is all the luck of the draw. sometimes they will be so oversold that they will just give it to you so you don't have to wait around. Other times, they need to wait to see if people misconnect, etc. before they are authorized to issue any vouchers.
Bottom line - if it's showing all zeroes on expertflyer, it doesn't hurt to ask and if they give you the voucher... take the $ and run (although they hardly ever issue it before they know for sure).
Old May 24, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by rylan
One thing to request when you are volunteering is that you don't lose your original seat until they are certain they don't need you.
I always specify that if my seat is not needed it then I am guaranteed that I get my seat as one of my VDB condition.

After you get your voucher/credit you should "Take you money and run" unless the plane has been pushed back.
I took a $400VDB once at DTW and headed immediately to SC. When I returned for my flight three hours later the same GA was at the podium and mention they were looking for me for they did not needed my VDB seat.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:58 am
t2r

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I was flying the last ATL-IAH flight a few Sundays back so me and my friend decided to see if the flight was oversold and they needed volunteers. The Gate didn't appear crowded, so I figured they wouldn't but what the heck.
She said yes, she's offering $400, night at the Marriott Gateway, meal vouchers, and the 8am flight to IAH the next day in F.
We both said yes, she printed everything out, and we left the gate. (The plane hadn't even gotten to the gate yet, nevermind boarding started or door closed)
In many cases, this is all the luck of the draw. sometimes they will be so oversold that they will just give it to you so you don't have to wait around. Other times, they need to wait to see if people misconnect, etc. before they are authorized to issue any vouchers.
Bottom line - if it's showing all zeroes on expertflyer, it doesn't hurt to ask and if they give you the voucher... take the $ and run (although they hardly ever issue it before they know for sure).
wow.. you really got the golden ticket! that is awesome.. I always ask if the flight is oversold (nicely of course), the worst they can say is "no".

wow, seems like the agent issued it way before the flight got in, etc. I have never had that experience. lucky!! what airline was this? I was on DL.

thanks for your experience. next time, I know once I get it, to run
Old May 24, 2011, 10:00 am
t2r

Originally Posted by tentseller
I always specify that if my seat is not needed it then I am guaranteed that I get my seat as one of my VDB condition.

After you get your voucher/credit you should "Take you money and run" unless the plane has been pushed back.
I took a $400VDB once at DTW and headed immediately to SC. When I returned for my flight three hours later the same GA was at the podium and mention they were looking for me for they did not needed my VDB seat.
so did they take your voucher/credit back, or was it too late at that point after you returned? lucky duck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.