Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
What form were they paid in?
2 DL vouchers.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Maybe it's time for a wiki about which airports still use DL vouchers and which give Amex/Visa/store gift cards.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Deleted.

Last edited by lexi; Dec 8, 2015 at 10:15 am Reason: No response to question in over a week.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
DL 275 DTW-NRT oversold by 12 on 12/15.
$1000 and flight from US tomorrow.
I took it, flying DTW-LAX this afternoon, DL provides hotel at LAX and $30 in meal vouchers. Then LAX-NRT-SIN tomorrow, all in FC or BE. Especially nice since my GUC for DTW-NRT didn't clear and it expires tomorrow.
The agent introduced me to the DTW ops manager and he thanked me for "helping them out."
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:05 am

Are there policies for changing the final destination for voluntary denied boarding? I'm flying from X to Y tomorrow night, then driving from Y to Z the following morning. If the flight is overbooked and they're looking for volunteers, would it be against Delta's policy to change my ticket to fly from X to Z?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by NorthWoods1
Are there policies for changing the final destination for voluntary denied boarding? I'm flying from X to Y tomorrow night, then driving from Y to Z the following morning. If the flight is overbooked and they're looking for volunteers, would it be against Delta's policy to change my ticket to fly from X to Z?
Yes, this can be done.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Yes, this can be done.
Cheers thank you.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by plinth857
I have never been bumped twice in a row. How does that happen? Good score, though!
I did that way back when they were giving free round trip tickets. PBI-BOS on the last flight out on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I prebooked a rental car to drive back to my grandparents. Next Morning, made it from PBI to MCO. Got bumped, then they offered another (3rd, but my wife was tired.)

My wife and daughter is scheduled to return SYD-LAX on Jan 2. The next DL flight is the next day, there is one 40 minutes later on Virgin America, through BNE.

Suggestions on compensation? If they can get the next day (that is already over booked) or Jan 4? With BE upgrades? Hotel v. no hotel (sister is about 1 hour from airport by train.)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by NorthWoods1
Agents have a hell of a lot of flexibility in VDB situations. If the flight you want is available and not ridiculous, it should be possible if you ask nicely. There's also the advantage that it's not likely others in the VDB situation will want that flight, so you aren't competing. (I've seen cases where they need 5 VDBs, and the next flight to that destination can only take 3 of them. Being willing to fly somewhere else instead makes the GA's life a lot easier.)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Deleted - wrong board.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

DTW-TPA this morning, $500 each for my son and I to take a flight an hour later, I'll take that just about anytime I don't absolutely have to be somewhere.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
12/26 ATL to ORD - equipment downgraded- so I check in with wife to find our FC seats have been changed to economy seats in row 12. At the gate agent announces oversold by 23 and the offer is $600 to depart the next day. We asked to go to MKE, end up getting FC, $600 delta cents each, and got home only 45 mins later than original flight(original flight delayed over 2 hrs).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Today SLC-GJT. Flight is oversold by one. I talked to the GA and said I saw the thing at check-in and bid $500, so I probably wasn't top of his list. He said if he needed me, he'd do $500. There are some misconnects, so he sent me to the aircraft, but then called me back when they showed up. After everything is all buttoned up he said to me "we agreed on $600, right?" I said "sounds good to me." I got a $600 voucher and a flight later tonight. That's roughly $100/hour to sit in the SkyClub and eat snacks.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
This past Friday was offered $1k Delta Dollars to get off the plane (litterally) from SEA to LAS. Where they were apparently oversold by 14. The offer was to fly out the next morning. With that, I was able to find a re-route through LAX that got me in 6 hours after originally scheduled. Not to shabby. And was able to secure upgrades to LAX and LAS.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:28 am

Original itinerary today LAV-MSP-ATL. Took a $500 voucher to bump off LAV-MSP, got routed LAV-SEA -ATL instead, arriving in ATL at the same time. Unfortunately the first flight was delayed and missed connection in SEA, ended up going LAV-SEA-SLC-ATL. Long day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.