Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
One of the segments for my particular itinerary one week out is no longer for sale on the website (except first class). Perhaps there is a VDB in my future! Here's to hoping.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:07 am

This might sound crazy, but we are hoping to get bumped and would love some suggestions and such. It's one of the few trips where we have a lot of flexibility.

5 passengers flying from DCA - JFK - DUB on 12/24 (Christmas Eve evening)

It's a Saturday night flight vs Sunday which I read is the most popular day for getting bumped, but it is Christmas Eve. I know to do the online check-in 24 hrs in advance, to check in at the kiosk early and to alert the DA that we are available. Our only issue is that we don't want to be split up. If one gets bumped, we need all of us to get bumped. Is it possible to make that a condition?

Also if we are going to be delayed for awhile or even a day, should we ask for a free hotel or extra hotel $? I was a bit confused by which would be best for our family size in NYC on Christmas Eve. Is $1000 too much to hope for on an overbooked holiday flight? Obviously, we may not even get bumped, but we want to have a strategy laid out just in case to maximize the perks.

Lastly, when they rebook us for the new flight, we won't have to pay change fees will we? We took out the extra $125 for insurance for all of us if that makes a difference. Lastly, should we still check our luggage or opt for carry-on only?

Sorry for so many questions; I just really want to get this right. I've read dozens of pages on this thread, but I'm off to read some more while waiting for the experts to weigh in! TIA!
Old May 14, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
This might sound crazy, but we are hoping to get bumped and would love some suggestions and such. It's one of the few trips where we have a lot of flexibility.

5 passengers flying from DCA - JFK - DUB on 12/24 (Christmas Eve evening)

It's a Saturday night flight vs Sunday which I read is the most popular day for getting bumped, but it is Christmas Eve. I know to do the online check-in 24 hrs in advance, to check in at the kiosk early and to alert the DA that we are available. Our only issue is that we don't want to be split up. If one gets bumped, we need all of us to get bumped. Is it possible to make that a condition?

Also if we are going to be delayed for awhile or even a day, should we ask for a free hotel or extra hotel $? I was a bit confused by which would be best for our family size in NYC on Christmas Eve. Is $1000 too much to hope for on an overbooked holiday flight? Obviously, we may not even get bumped, but we want to have a strategy laid out just in case to maximize the perks.

Lastly, when they rebook us for the new flight, we won't have to pay change fees will we? We took out the extra $125 for insurance for all of us if that makes a difference. Lastly, should we still check our luggage or opt for carry-on only?

Sorry for so many questions; I just really want to get this right. I've read dozens of pages on this thread, but I'm off to read some more while waiting for the experts to weigh in! TIA!
I doubt you'll get a bump on Xmas eve; normally flights are pretty empty on Xmas eve/day in my experience (good time for some deals!).

A day or two before on the other hand are very good possibilities.

In any case, if a flight is in fact oversold, it would need to be oversold by 5 of more for the FA to even consider you (yes, you can say "we need to stay together"). If they do need more than 5, you're likely golden as the GA will be very happy to get 5 done in one fell swoop.

If next available flight you like is the next day, ask for a hotel voucher. Shouldn't be a problem. If you check luggage and volunteer, your bags may fly anyways and beat you to your destination, or they may get pulled. Generally up to ground crew/depends on if they're overweight (sometimes a reason for bumps), and how close they are to departure time. So, your call, but make sure you have at least the necessities and a change of clothes in your carry ons.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:56 am

Perfect! You answered all of my questions. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that the return trip gets overbooked then and will go ahead and firm up hotels for Christmas Day. I'm surprised though, I thought the flight into JFK might be at least be busy with travelers trying to beat Santa.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by appleguru
I doubt you'll get a bump on Xmas eve; normally flights are pretty empty on Xmas eve/day in my experience (good time for some deals!).
Agreed. It is not going to happen on X-mas Eve. There is a reason why your flights were so cheap.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a story from tonight's DL 2445, the 6:25 PM DAL-ATL operated with a 717-200. I checked in at 5 PM and the machine said they needed volunteers, i entered $200 as I usually do. When I got to the gate, they said they were waiting on three people to check in but the offer was now $600. Right before boarding they told me that they weren't going to need me so I should board. 20 minutes later, as I'm sipping a PDB in 2A, a redcoat comes on and asks me and one other person if we were still interested, we both were..

We each got $600 in DL vouchers, he was rebooked on the 7 AM DAL-ATL, I asked for the 10 AM as I was on a G Fare and I wanted to keep F and we were put at the Crowne Plaza Market Center. No meal vouchers but whatever. They even pulled his checked bag off the plane for him.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Here's a story from tonight's DL 2445, the 6:25 PM DAL-ATL operated with a 717-200. I checked in at 5 PM and the machine said they needed volunteers, i entered $200 as I usually do. When I got to the gate, they said they were waiting on three people to check in but the offer was now $600. Right before boarding they told me that they weren't going to need me so I should board. 20 minutes later, as I'm sipping a PDB in 2A, a redcoat comes on and asks me and one other person if we were still interested, we both were..

We each got $600 in DL vouchers, he was rebooked on the 7 AM DAL-ATL, I asked for the 10 AM as I was on a G Fare and I wanted to keep F and we were put at the Crowne Plaza Market Center. No meal vouchers but whatever. They even pulled his checked bag off the plane for him.
This same thing happened to me in October (after a Cowboys/Falcons game) and my entered amount was $300, which was bumped up to $600 by the gate agent. Crowne Plaza and taxi vouchers as well, with a rebooking the following morning connecting though DTW. Not a bad deal!
Old May 26, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by pgh234
Agreed. It is not going to happen on X-mas Eve. There is a reason why your flights were so cheap.
Don't be so certain. We're talking about a flight 6 months out here and anything can happen!!

Winter in the Northeast (granted it's December not Jan/Feb) can be brutal on airports/flights if a big winter storm hits. It has happened so you never know what the future holds.

OP. I would recommend you continue to check your flights and see how many seats are available and what price delta is selling your flight for. Absolutely they will oversell your flight if they have enough pax wanting to buy tix but will ALL of those passengers show up on a Christmas Eve flight? Very doubtful!
Old May 26, 2016, 7:30 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Could somebody pleeeez tell me . . . .

Re: VDB EVoucher expiration.

Is it - Depart by the one year expiration date, complete travel by, or purchase by?

The rules don't seem to populate online.

Thanx!

DT
Old May 26, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Could somebody pleeeez tell me . . . .

Re: VDB EVoucher expiration.

Is it - Depart by the one year expiration date, complete travel by, or purchase by?

The rules don't seem to populate online.

Thanx!

DT
Value: The face amount of this voucher may be applied to the purchase of any ticket for passenger travel within the Delta system worldwide on Delta/Delta Shuttle/Delta Connection, Air France, KLM, and Delta designated codeshare flights. It is valid for payment of published fares and government-imposed ticket taxes/charges only. It may not be used to pay other fees relating to passenger travel including baggage fees, or charges for the shipment of cargo. Voucher has no cash value.
Validity Period: Voucher is valid for one year from date of issue. Validity period will not be extended.
Ticketing Information: Please redeem this voucher at www.delta.com/redeem. Redemptions at www.delta.com/redeem will not incur a transaction fee. Fees will apply if voucher is redeemed through any other Delta location. Voucher may not be redeemed at travel agencies, other airlines, or other travel websites. Once ticketed, penalties may a pply for changes, per the fare rule purchased.
Residual Value: If redeemed for less than its face value, the residual value of an voucher(s) may be applied to subsequent ticket purchases at www.delta.com/redeem. The expiration date of the original Voucher will apply to any residual value. Residual value of a voucher may only be used by the original voucher owner.
Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. Delta assumes no responsibility for unauthorized use of the voucher by any person who presents it for redemption. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket. Paper vouchers cannot be redeemed online. To redeem a paper voucher, visit a Delta ticket counter at the airport or a Delta Ticket Office
Theft or Loss: Voucher will not be replaced if lost or stolen.
Sale/Barter Prohibited: Voucher may not be sold, bartered, duplicated or altered by the Owner or any designee. Voucher or ticket obtained through prohibited sale/barter/duplication transactions are void and will not be honored or travel permitted.
By redeeming this Voucher, the owner and designee(if any) acknowledge the content of these Terms and Conditions and agrees to be bound by them.
Vouchers are not combinable with gift certificates, dollars off certificates, percent off certificates, or complementary travel certificates.
See www.delta.com/redeem for current Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time.
These Terms and Conditions apply to vouchers whose first six digits begin with 006066 or 006064.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by appleguru
Validity Period: Voucher is valid for one year from date of issue. Validity period will not be extended.
So, my same question again . . . .

I guess this means - TICKET BY the expiration date? . . . . unless I missed something
Old May 26, 2016, 7:59 pm

I guess this means - TICKET BY the expiration date? . . . . unless I missed something
That's how I interpret it. Unlike RUC/GUC which require travel by expiration date, there does not appear to be any such requirement with a VDB voucher.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

Yes, ticket by expiration date. My voucher expired late April and I used the rest of it to buy a ticket for September.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:06 pm

That's fantastic! Thanx! I have one expiring in early September - - Got it while meeting jrl767!

Got one yesterday on MEX/ATL for $600. Next flight was in 95 minutes! Amazing! THAT flight was overbooked, too - - but they left with 1 seat open!

Believe me - NOT complaining!

I had a 6 hour planned layover in ATL, anyway to do something there, so, I just cut it a little short! Too bad my checked bag took 55 minutes to get to the baggage belt!!!

Last edited by davetravels; May 26, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 9:21 pm

Is there any reason why a VDB voucher won't work with a DL coded AM flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.