Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
DL1172 - SLC to SFO. At check-in, saw a request for a overbooking bid. I entered $500.
T-45 from take off, I check in with the gate agent. She says 4 possible misconnects so it was not confirmed then.

T-10 from door closing, they give me the $500, Comfort+ on the next flight (1.5 hrs later). DL1172 - Estimated wheels up at 9:20pm. Too much ATC traffic at SFO.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I think the DOT is smart enough to recognize that an A320 with 150 seats is different from an A320 with 160 seats.
You're missing the point. The DOT doesn't care if it's an A320 with 160 seats vs. an A320 with 150 seats. It's still an A320, which wouldn't be a substitution of smaller aircraft like substituting an A319 would have been.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
You're missing the point. The DOT doesn't care if it's an A320 with 160 seats vs. an A320 with 150 seats. It's still an A320, which wouldn't be a substitution of smaller aircraft like substituting an A319 would have been.
Are you sure about this? FWIW, I think it's pretty dumb that the regulation lets them out of this for an equipment substitution anyway.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Usually not, because the airline is buying at an unpublished rate that is very low and comes without benefits. You should have given your SPG # at the Front Desk just in case, though.

If you didn't, and you have to email research at starwoodhotels.com for the credit, you won't get it. They play by the book, whereas giving them your number at check in leaves you at the mercy of the computer system (slightly better chance than the research team).
I did give them my number, and it did somehow get associated with the reservation because I got a survey request sent to my email associated with the SPG number, but the person at the front desk was unsure about whether I would get points or not. As of now it looks like I didn't...I have SPG setup to direct deposit to airline miles though because I very rarely stay at SPG properties; that might have made it less likely to go through.

Originally Posted by kxc262
DL1172 - SLC to SFO. At check-in, saw a request for a overbooking bid. I entered $500.
T-45 from take off, I check in with the gate agent. She says 4 possible misconnects so it was not confirmed then.

T-10 from door closing, they give me the $500, Comfort+ on the next flight (1.5 hrs later). DL1172 - Estimated wheels up at 9:20pm. Too much ATC traffic at SFO.
The second flight I got VDB was DL1172 with the same $500 offer (on 7/5). I guess it's a somewhat commonly overbooked flight...I thought it was probably due to the long weekend.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
That might be the case but that shouldn't qualify for a substitution of aircraft and prevent DL from paying IDB. I could be wrong but an A320 is an A320, doesn't matter what configuration it has.
Aircraft is the tail number. They substituted a different aircraft that happened to have a lot of the same letters in its name.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Aircraft is the tail number. They substituted a different aircraft that happened to have a lot of the same letters in its name.
What does a tail number have to do with it? They substituted an A320 for an A320. The tail number is insignificant.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
What does a tail number have to do with it? They substituted an A320 for an A320. The tail number is insignificant.
It was a different aircraft that has a similar model number.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:12 pm
Suspended

It was a different aircraft that has a similar model number.
The tail number is simply the registration of an aircraft. It's the same thing as you having a liscense plate for your car. While I understand it was a different tail number, It doesn't mean anything if DL swaps one A320 for another A320. That doesn't alleviate them from paying IDB, whereas if they'd swapped in an A319 it would. For some reason you're not understanding that and bringing in tail numbers to the conversation. It's moot.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Can someone cite the actual regulation in question here?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The tail number is simply the registration of an aircraft. It's the same thing as you having a liscense plate for your car. While I understand it was a different tail number, It doesn't mean anything if DL swaps one A320 for another A320. That doesn't alleviate them from paying IDB, whereas if they'd swapped in an A319 it would. For some reason you're not understanding that and bringing in tail numbers to the conversation. It's moot.
For some reason you seem to believe that swapping one aircraft for a different aircraft is not a change of aircraft.

The fact that the first part of the model number of the two aircraft is the same is completely irrelevant.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

For some reason you seem to believe that swapping one aircraft for a different aircraft is not a change of aircraft.

The fact that the first part of the model number of the two aircraft is the same is completely irrelevant.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the DOT rules don't just simply say that airlines can swap one A320 for another A320 and are then exempt from paying IDB compensation (independent of which configuration of the A320 DL chose to use.) Instead, the DOT rules state the IDB compensation is not due if an airline must use a smaller aircraft, which isn't what happened in this case. An example of DL using a smaller aircraft would be - A320 swapped to A319. A 757 swapped to a 737-800. A CRJ-900 swapped to a CRJ-700.

(I do hope someone else can help settle this for us ^)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
The actual rule reads:

"The flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons;"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/250.6

So, it's defined as aircraft capacity, not aircraft size. Hence, I think replacing a 160 seat A320 with a 150 seat A320 would qualify under the exception.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The actual rule reads:

"The flight for which the passenger holds confirmed reserved space is unable to accommodate that passenger because of substitution of equipment of lesser capacity when required by operational or safety reasons;"

So, it's defined as aircraft capacity, not aircraft size. Hence, I think replacing a 160 seat A320 with a 150 seat A320 would qualify under the exception.
Not quite sure that's accurate. This link says -

* If the airline must substitute a smaller plane for the one it originally planned to use, the carrier isn't required to pay people who are bumped as a result. In addition, on flights using aircraft with 30 through 60 passenger seats, compensation is not required if you were bumped due to safety-related aircraft weight or balance constraints.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...tm#overbooking

Notice it doesn't mention capacity, just size. This is what I've always been told as well. With as many different configurations of 757's and now A320's that DL has they'd never have to pay IDB if capacity was the reason.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The actual rule reads:

* If the airline must substitute a smaller plane for the one it originally planned to use, the carrier isn't required to pay people who are bumped as a result. In addition, on flights using aircraft with 30 through 60 passenger seats, compensation is not required if you were bumped due to safety-related aircraft weight or balance constraints.

Notice it doesn't mention capacity, just size. This is what I've always been told as well. With as many different configurations of 757's and now A320's that DL has they'd never have to pay IDB if capacity was the reason.
Look at those links. The law says "lesser capacity". The consumer explanation says "smaller size". The wording of the law controls over a misleading explanation.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

I'm citing the text of the actual regulation from the Code of Federal Regulations. That definition certainly takes precedence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.