Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. How much did ya get in Delta Dollars?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I overheard a request in SEA today.

SEA-DTW early afternoon needed 6 volunteers (later 2). Offer was $900 Delta credit to take a late flight same day.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Last week I had a double bump. Orig flight had mx delay, used app for next flight which became oversold. Got $600 delta dollars and put on original delayed flight. On last leg, oversold, got $500 Amex card, hotel, food vouchers. Good day.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer
GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. How much did ya get in Delta Dollars?
$800 DL dollars. (to arrive 2 hours later at PHF rather than ORF). While I would always prefer "cash", I spend enough on DL through the year that I don't mind the delta voucher.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Just curious - wouldn't the cash option be taxable, thus reducing its overall value?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by arkangel
Just curious - wouldn't the cash option be taxable, thus reducing its overall value?

That kind of gets into a gray area... generally the awarded cash-back or miles are considered "discounts" and thus officially you are being discounted $X from your flight (and potentially other future subsequent flights) with airline X. I guess theoretically if the the cash received exceeded the amount spent with airline X over the year, than the IRS could have a case with you... but I don't believe (could be wrong) that the airlines report the cash awarded amounts to the IRS.

As far as value, that is all in the eyes of the beholder. For instance, a taxable $100 may still be more valuable to someone than $500 delta dollars if they have no intention of flying in the next 12 months.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by arkangel
I believe the IRS considers the purchase of an airline ticket a contract for carriage between locations PLUS the potential for another flight if the airline fails to provide the original flight. It is seen by the IRS as a "bundle of services", thus any compensation provided is part of that bundle and thus not taxable.

This article explains it pretty well:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ation-taxable/
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Took a VDB on AUS - DTW on Sunday afternoon. They were offering $600 for getting home on the same day or more if travel was for the next day. Got them to give me $1000 and a hotel since next flight to RDU was the next day.

Then they ended up overselling AUS - RDU yesterday so took another $500 + lunch voucher to get on the AUS - DTW - RDU flight last night. So in total $1500 Delta Dollars to eventually end up on the same route home 24 hours later.

No issue on my end with it being Delta Dollars vs. cash, we've got a number of flights coming up so it'll easily get used.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
On Monday morning, offer was $1000 DL dollars for the 8 am SJC-LAS flight. I took that and was confirmed in first for the 12:45 flight that afternoon. Most I've ever gotten for a VDB.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Sunday morning SLC - ATL oversold by 7. $800 in Delta dollars to take a flight 3 hours later.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:57 pm

Does DL oversell on regional jets?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Does DL oversell on regional jets?

Definitely. Also in the heat, they're prone to weight/balance issues
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:07 pm

If a flight is Y0 does that likely mean oversold or just even?

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Definitely. Also in the heat, they're prone to weight/balance issues
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lovefly88
If a flight is Y0 does that likely mean oversold or just even?

Depends. What is F looking like? I've been on many flights where Y0 just means the flight is even and I've been on other flights where that means it's oversold.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:32 pm

No F. Single class on a regional plane.

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Depends. What is F looking like? I've been on many flights where Y0 just means the flight is even and I've been on other flights where that means it's oversold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.