Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Bos to DTW oversold by two, wife and I got $700 each plus $60 for food, took direct to MKE and got a rental car to get back to Chicago about 20 mins later. Not a bad day and the Sox took 2 out of 3 from the yanks!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Jay00848
Bos to DTW oversold by two, wife and I got $700 each plus $60 for food, took direct to MKE and got a rental car to get back to Chicago about 20 mins later. Not a bad day and the Sox took 2 out of 3 from the yanks!
It was quite the oversold weekend at BOS. After I got the $1500 I mentioned above, the BOS-MSP flight they put me on was also oversold, and I got another $800. The BOS-MSP they put me on after that was also oversold and they were offering $800 for that one, but I wouldn't have been able to fly out until the next day and that didn't work for me. From what the agents were telling me, NYC went kablooey on Friday due to storms and that backlogged BOS too.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Many gates at BNA scrolling this message this morning as people leave from the eclipse:

Name:  1503401160-picsay.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  154.2 KB

"Make some $$$$ this morning with flexible travel plans. Ask me!"

My flight was over by 2 -- had made a bid at check-in but there were no-shows so not needed. One or both of MSP/LAX sounded like they were over by 5.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
DCA-MSP about 2 weeks ago. Was flying w/ my dad. I had been upgraded, he was in Y. Took an offer of $600 and reroute of DCA-RDU-MSP all in F for both of us. DCA was having quite the oversold day as many gates were looking for volunteers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Yesterday - SLC - JFK. I think they ended up bumping 7 people. I arrived at the gate a little late and was in line to inquire about an RUC upgrade clearing. Heard the 2 agents in front of me explaining alternative flight options to a guy and another couple.

was kicking myself for not getting to the gate early.

Once I was called next, I said I would also volunteer and got the last "spot".

This one was interesting as they gave everyone the voucher right there on the spot, new tickets and meal vouchers for those that were staying for a few hours. They hadn't even started boarding.

In the past I've always had to wait until boarding was finalized and then they let me know if I was needed or not - after everyone had in fact shown up and boarded.

This was a nice process - and $800 in my pocket got home about 2 hours later - cha-ching!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Originally Posted by QDDawg
This one was interesting as they gave everyone the voucher right there on the spot, new tickets and meal vouchers for those that were staying for a few hours. They hadn't even started boarding.

In the past I've always had to wait until boarding was finalized and then they let me know if I was needed or not - after everyone had in fact shown up and boarded.
I've had this happen before, but also had it where they wait for boarding to complete. I'm pretty sure it has to do with who is actually through security/in the airport. I'm guessing if there's some folks who haven't cleared security or haven't arrived on connections then they play the waiting game, but if they're definitely going to be over, why wait?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Agree on that thinking pitpit - totally makes sense and I like this process a LOT better.

Have just never had it happen to me before.

Thought about asking if she could increase the VDB amount to the max of $9,950 - but she was beyond stressed and I could tell she wouldn't see the humor
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by pitpit
I've had this happen before, but also had it where they wait for boarding to complete. I'm pretty sure it has to do with who is actually through security/in the airport. I'm guessing if there's some folks who haven't cleared security or haven't arrived on connections then they play the waiting game, but if they're definitely going to be over, why wait?
TSA scanners don't link back in with airline systems - they can definitely track connecting pax, but have no clue which originating pax are through security or not.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by ekozie
TSA scanners don't link back in with airline systems - they can definitely track connecting pax, but have no clue which originating pax are through security or not.
Thanks for this info, I was wondering about that.

I could see it being beneficial if it could, but what if someone left and then came back through - could get confusing.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:26 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
DL174 LAX-ATL(772) over by I think eight this morning. Last I heard they were offering $800 but my alternate flight was logistically unworkable for me, so it was painful but I had to turn it down
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Sometimes pax don't show up even though they've been in the airport. I got a seat once because a connecting pax was doing hidden city.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Or sometimes people go to the bar and completely forget they have a flight. DL used to not make you wait, but flights were going with empty seats while people got VDB'ed off the same flight, so they changed that policy.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I had a flight this morning from DTW to BNA that was initially delayed due to a mechanical issue and ultimately resulted in disboarding and getting a smaller plane. They were expecting to be overbooked by 6 people and offered $600 for volunteers to leave 4 hours later. They got 5 takers initially(myself included). The GA said they were going to make a second call for one last person, and if there were not takers they would up to offer to $800 and that we shoudln't worry, if they have to go to $800, the first five us us that agreed to $600 would get the $800 also.

Unfortunately they got a 6th volunteer at $600 and then when the plane finally boarded had one no-show and as such didn't end up needing that extra person.

Cant complain about $600 to sit in Sky Club for 4 hours.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
ATL-SBN $4k: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...ound-hard-way/
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
People say blond's are dumb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.