Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
People say blond's are dumb.
I'd say she was pretty keen to wait til the offer climbed way up there.

This is only the second largest single VDB I have seen, as a EWR-YYZ about a week ago paid several people $5000 each to bump off....

Wish I could be a part of one of these situations!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
EWR-MSP this morning offered $400 voucher for about 6 hours (next flight was sold out), but ended up not needing anybody.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Ord - ATL sunday

Today flight over by 6 ended up needing 3 to fly tomorrow. $600 each plus hotel/food.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
One day last week, BZE-ATL was oversold by 2. They started at $800+food/hotel. In the end, some people didn't check in, so they didn't need anyone. Seems a little low these days for a once-a-day routing, but that was just their opening offer.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL - PM
This was a new one for me. My JFK-SLC flight this afternoon looked to be oversold. I inquired at the gate, and they were indeed offering $800 to take the next flight, three hours later. However, the agent informed me that Delta no longer pays for hotels in this case (I would have misconnected and had to finish the trip tomorrow morning). Has anyone heard that Delta won't pay for hotels anymore in case of VDB? I'm guessing the agent was misinformed or misquoted the policy, because especially if the last flight of the night was involved, I would expect not paying hotels to be a major hindrance to getting volunteers.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ordhater
This was a new one for me. My JFK-SLC flight this afternoon looked to be oversold. I inquired at the gate, and they were indeed offering $800 to take the next flight, three hours later. However, the agent informed me that Delta no longer pays for hotels in this case (I would have misconnected and had to finish the trip tomorrow morning). Has anyone heard that Delta won't pay for hotels anymore in case of VDB? I'm guessing the agent was misinformed or misquoted the policy, because especially if the last flight of the night was involved, I would expect not paying hotels to be a major hindrance to getting volunteers.
Yes you would have gotten hotel. From past experience you have to wait till SLC to get it though. Otherwise you could have a voucher for SLC and get stuck in JFK when IRROPS happen on next flight.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
LATAM

2 days ago my SO and I offered our seat, got $500 each in travel vouchers and an overnight in a local "5 star" hotel. Asked if we could have two overnights in the city and was going to pay for the 2nd night but LATAM comped the second night also which was nice of them. Go to check in for the same flight this morning, over sold again !

my SO and I this time got a $300 voucher and another hotel. Annoyed that they wouldn't match the previous voucher amount but happy to spend 3 nights 4 days comped by LATAM here. $800 in travel voucher when my fare only cost $275 in the first place ;-)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
LATAM

2 days ago my SO and I offered our seat, got $500 each in travel vouchers and an overnight in a local "5 star" hotel. Asked if we could have two overnights in the city and was going to pay for the 2nd night but LATAM comped the second night also which was nice of them. Go to check in for the same flight this morning, over sold again !

my SO and I this time got a $300 voucher and another hotel. Annoyed that they wouldn't match the previous voucher amount but happy to spend 3 nights 4 days comped by LATAM here. $800 in travel voucher when my fare only cost $275 in the first place ;-)
FYI, this is the Delta forum.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by flyerCO
FYI, this is the Delta forum.
Oh yeah Lol oops !
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
MCI-DTW and MCI-LGA, announcements made that both were oversold, $500 + hotel was the opening offer. Not sure what the final amounts were, or whether volunteers were ultimately needed.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
SEA-YVR I had my headphones on and was chilling, saw they were making announcements but figured it was just standard preflight stuff but eventuallay paused the music to hear they were still looking for volunteers and offering now $2,000 to take a bump, the next flight isn't for 5 hours but I don't need to be into Vancouver until tomorrow morning anyways (land now 1140pm) and 2 grand is pretty awesome, I'll head back to the SC and do some work and relax for a bit
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
For $2k, I'd just drive from Seattle to Vancouver rather than wait 5 hours. Nice score!
synergistic likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
For $2k, I'd just drive from Seattle to Vancouver rather than wait 5 hours. Nice score!
I booked a r/t almost thought of grabbing a UA/AC flight at 7pm ( delayed till 8:15) but figured that would cancel my return. Didn't want to do the drive since I Uber to the airport so would have to head home first plus this is a overnight trip and coming back tomorrow 5PM and not interested in a long drive back tomorrow.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
On this past Sunday afternoon I heard them offering $2000 for volunteers on RDU-DCA. PT sure how it all shook out, but wow I was jealous!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Got an $800 voucher this week, plus three meal vouchers for a 2 hour delay. Only glitch was the cross county flights were booked on UA to get there same day. Puts my voucher balance at $6100 but I have to cash in $1500 worth in the next two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.