Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Paplover
Got an $800 voucher this week, plus three meal vouchers for a 2 hour delay. Only glitch was the cross county flights were booked on UA to get there same day. Puts my voucher balance at $6100 but I have to cash in $1500 worth in the next two weeks.
I hate to assume but these vouchers are basically "money" for DL flights correct? Can they be used for Codeshare flights on say KLM or another sky team partners?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
I believe any 006 ticket you can buy on DL.com. Yes, they are treated like cash but can only be used to purchase ticket for you and a companion on same PNR, not any add on fees. You do get MQM, RDM and MQD just like cash.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I hate to assume but these vouchers are basically "money" for DL flights correct? Can they be used for Codeshare flights on say KLM or another sky team partners?
Can be used on Delta (obvi), KLM and AF when booked on delta.com and under the DL flight numbers is what the gate agent told me when I got my voucher this week.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I believe any 006 ticket you can buy on DL.com. Yes, they are treated like cash but can only be used to purchase ticket for you and a companion on same PNR, not any add on fees. You do get MQM, RDM and MQD just like cash.
Originally Posted by ryan182
Can be used on Delta (obvi), KLM and AF when booked on delta.com and under the DL flight numbers is what the gate agent told me when I got my voucher this week.
Thank you guys, hoping for some oversold flights coming up on Tuesday, BOS-DTW-PHX
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Thank you guys, hoping for some oversold flights coming up on Tuesday, BOS-DTW-PHX
At DTW, is VDB only Delta vouchers or do you get a choice like at MSP? (At one other station, I was told that hubs give choices, others don't. But I don't know how accurate that was.)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Got an $800 voucher this week, plus three meal vouchers for a 2 hour delay. Only glitch was the cross county flights were booked on UA to get there same day. Puts my voucher balance at $6100 but I have to cash in $1500 worth in the next two weeks.
I would do a mileage run with that $1500 voucher if I couldn't find anything else to do with it... free miles and qualifying dollars / qualifying miles.... which will otherwise expire. $1500 would be good for a couple round-trip transcons.....
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Got $800 and overnight at the DTW Westin on an overbooked DTW -> GRR flight last night, and confirmed in F-fare today. Figured I could've just rented a car and drove through (the flight itself is literally 18 min), but it was late and I didn't need to be in GRR until late this afternoon.

They were only offering 006s, not cash.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Got $800 and overnight at the DTW Westin on an overbooked DTW -> GRR flight last night, and confirmed in F-fare today. Figured I could've just rented a car and drove through (the flight itself is literally 18 min), but it was late and I didn't need to be in GRR until late this afternoon.

They were only offering 006s, not cash.
In my world, 006's are cash... they save me $$ I would have otherwise spent on travel.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Platinum
On 9/10, I and 10 others received $1700 vouchers for oversold DTW-DCA. Opening offer at $600, but no one else joined me until the offer hit $1K and it kept rising from there until the full complement of volunteers was reached at $1700 (which we all received). The only catch was a reroute to BWI and a Delta-paid cab ride into DC. . But then the GA found a couple of us seats on a DTW-DCA flight that left just two hours later.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I would do a mileage run with that $1500 voucher if I couldn't find anything else to do with it...
Used it for visiting grandkids for Thanksgiving. Did use a $700 voucher for two transcon MR going the week before Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Last Saturday (SAN-ATL) offered option during OLCI so put in $800. Hung out in the SC too long so they already had volunteers by the time I got to the gate. Enjoying my Pre Flight Beverage in 2C when they came onboard and said they had to put on extra fuel due to Nate, then asked if I'd still be interested. Got $1000 DL and a breakfast and lunch voucher for a 3 hour delay.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
At DTW, is VDB only Delta vouchers or do you get a choice like at MSP? (At one other station, I was told that hubs give choices, others don't. But I don't know how accurate that was.)
Up to now only MSP offers cards, everyone else has been vouchers. In talking to a MSP GA today she said that the card option will expand across the country. Not sure if all locations, but many. She also said they have easier time getting volunteers at MSP because of the cards and that is the driver for expanding the program.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Scheduled on SFO-SEA-BOS. SFO-SEA had mechanical issues and was delayed 1.5 hours, so missed the connection. Auto-rebooked on SEA-LAX-BOS (redeye). No other availability out of SEA. But SEA-LAX ended up being oversold by 7. Got $800 voucher, hotel, and the SEA-BOS nonstop the next day.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Up to now only MSP offers cards, everyone else has been vouchers. In talking to a MSP GA today she said that the card option will expand across the country. Not sure if all locations, but many. She also said they have easier time getting volunteers at MSP because of the cards and that is the driver for expanding the program.
That's not true--I got $2300 worth of cards (not vouchers) at BOS from VDBs about a month ago. I don't know about other locations, but it's definitely not just MSP.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Up to now only MSP offers cards, everyone else has been vouchers.
I got two $500 AMEX gift cards at LAX earlier this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.