Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Great day yesterday (Saturday 7/15):
MSP-JFK oversold and they took 2 Volunteers, me and another guy.
I was in paid F/Z (Delta One), flying onward to GRU, so they booked me same day via ATL, arriving same exact time. $500 gift card. Also a meal voucher for $15.
This was so great because my travel companion was flying SFO-ATL-GRU, and instead of meeting in GRU we could meet up in ATL.

Once in ATL, we asked if they were looking for Volunteers. They ended up needing 5, at $1000 each.
My haul for the day: $1500. My friend got $1000. They looked at us like we were crazy when I asked about meal vouchers. "They stopped giving those years ago," she said-- not knowing I'd gotten one about 4 hours prior in MSP.
We got put up at the Marriott Gateway, very nice hotel, but with a strict 1pm check out-- so we rented a car and spent the day in ATL.

Nifty!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
LAS to SAN on Monday afternoon, volunteered and got $700 for a 5 hour delay in getting home after DEFCON (GA said they had a lot of oversold situations since Sunday though the Monday afternoon flight). Funny thing was final offer was $600 but GA ended up giving us $700 vouchers because "we'd have to wait so long".
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
LGA - midwest city, January 2017. Flight was delayed, then we boarded, then we waited on the tarmac a while, then we were told that they needed 7 volunteers to offload immediately. Because of bad weather throughout the midwest, they had to recalculate the flight path and diversion city, which increased the required fuel. I got $700, a decent LGA hotel, meal vouchers. I asked to be rebooked in F, and they did so.

I took it, in part because had something happened (flight crew timing out, diversion), flying the following morning would actually have gotten in earlier. Also, on my original flight, there was also a POS next to me, which meant I was unable to comfortably use my laptop on my original flight.

LGA - midwest city, May 2017. NYC had bad weather the several days prior, so flights had filled up with reaccomodated passengers. When they asked for volunteers, it looked like I would have to overnight, but then they opened up some seats on a connection through ATL. I got $1,000 to get in 5 hours later than scheduled, and a meal voucher. This was not long after Dao - seems like they've raised their offers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres
That Explains LAS on Monday

Forgot about DEFCON. ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC and CVG all oversold on first wave on MON.

9 of us vols scored $2000 for taking a later flight to DTW. I was actually going to CVG, and ended up getting in about 6 hours later. Well worth 2K!!!!!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by knkjens
Forgot about DEFCON. ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC and CVG all oversold on first wave on MON.

9 of us vols scored $2000 for taking a later flight to DTW. I was actually going to CVG, and ended up getting in about 6 hours later. Well worth 2K!!!!!
So nice! And lucky!

I haven't been on an oversold flight in several months now (unlucky). Hopefully some of the Aug. 19 flights into the eclipse zones will have some big offers...... I am bound for BOI for this one on DL.. inventories are looking pretty scarce already. Likewise for my return on UA on the evening of the 21st.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
PVG-LAX-SFO business class volunteered and received $1350 and choice of China Eastern airlines PVG-SFO or same PVG-LAX-SFO business class flights the following day
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:02 am

DL 26(ICN-ATL) was oversold 1st week of August. They offered $1,000 DTV and next day morning flight by KE. It was around 5 people. First week of October will be again due to big holidays from/to ROK.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:17 am

Vegas

Took a bump $800 jfk to las last friday. Viva Las Vegas!!!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Earlier flight cancelled (we weren't booked on it), our flight delayed, got to the gate about 12min prior to new departure to find out they had given away our seats (presumably to standbys from the cancelled flight). Gate agent gave us new boarding passes and was going to pull two off (due to my status). Once on board they asked for volunteers, so we volunteered (to take the cancelled equipment the following morning)! $800/each
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by weflyhigh9
Took a bump $800 jfk to las last friday. Viva Las Vegas!!!
^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I no longer have an EF subscription but judging by dl.com search results it seems like most DL flights from BNA are zeroed out on Tuesday after the eclipse. Seeing only a morning departure to LAX and an evening flight to SLC.

I'm ticketed on BNA-SEA-SFO, will see what happens
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm ticketed on BNA-SEA-SFO, will see what happens
there will be bumps all over the place. not directly DL related, but i'm on AS BOI-PDX on Monday afternoon, 2 seats left in the Y bucket on my flight, and nothing at all for sale on the route on Tuesday. together with QX's operational nightmares currently, Tuesday in the PNW is going to be a disaster.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
there will be bumps all over the place. not directly DL related, but i'm on AS BOI-PDX on Monday afternoon, 2 seats left in the Y bucket on my flight, and nothing at all for sale on the route on Tuesday. together with QX's operational nightmares currently, Tuesday in the PNW is going to be a disaster.
I will see you at BOI on Monday afternoon... flying to Denver at 5pm after the eclipse. My UA flight is Y0.... though confirmed booked even. It appears UA is being careful to not overbook their flights into and out of Boise this weekend.... is DL/AS doing the same?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Earlier this week, LAX-SAT evening flight. $800 voucher

Boarded 1A. Just before departure GA comes on and asks two people that had bid if wanted to. They declined, hearing this I offered. $800 voucher. Plus offered reroute via JFK due to next day nonstops being booked full.

Passenger on BE fare got 1A since all elites upgraded.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
BOS-SFO, paid D1 ticket. I originally bid $800 via OLCI; they paged me at the gate and told me they could reroute me BOS-MSP-SFO, getting in 7 hours later. And I could only get F MSP-SFO, BOS-MSP would be in Y. I said I'd agree to that for $1500. They gave it to me! They ended up needing one other guy; he got $1500 as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.