Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MfromL
First time going for a bump with Delta (long time AA flyer) but this time I managed to get a cheap KLM ticket ($450), operated by Delta, from MSP to CDG via ATL. At MSP 400 offered to be bumped, the agent needed two volunteers. At the end they got up to 500 and decided to grab it after confirming they could put me in a MSP-AMS-CDG that arrived 5 minutes before the ATL-CDG segment. Moved from 767 on the ATL-CDG to a 330, which was much nicer.

Overall, nice experience with Delta, I'm considering switching to them...
Cool! Did you try to negotiate Delta One on MSP-AMS? That would have been a no brainer...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Nope, I didn't want to tempt fate. This is my first bump ever -not that I have not tried before, but AA usually puts me back at the last minute when I volunteer-, so I took a normal coach seat. Now that I know it is possible I will try that on the return leg, this friday (CDG-BOS-MSP), and since the snow storm from this week has cancelled many flights to the east coast, I'm guessing my chances will be higher due to the volume of delayed passengers stil trying to make their way home on friday.

Last edited by MfromL; Mar 14, 2017 at 5:52 am
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:02 pm

Yesterday, scored a $1300 bumpertunity!!! from JFK to LAS, heading there for the March Madness!!! GA solicited 7 volunteers and ended needing 5 of us. I asked for a food voucher, considering my flight was the next morning, and was told they do not give them out anymore???
Old Mar 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by weflyhigh9
Yesterday, scored a $1300 bumpertunity!!! from JFK to LAS, heading there for the March Madness!!! GA solicited 7 volunteers and ended needing 5 of us. I asked for a food voucher, considering my flight was the next morning, and was told they do not give them out anymore???
Did you get a hotel or are you from NY and just went home.
The only bumps I've gotten from DCA (home) have been just a few hours.
But whenever I've taken an overnight bump from away, always gotten food -- most recently last November.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Sitting on JFK-LAS DL400 with wife. Was offered VBD at online checking and asked for 500$.

Let's see if they end up needing us, I'll see if we can be seated together (not the case on DL400).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Vincent Charretier
Sitting on JFK-LAS DL400 with wife. Was offered VBD at online checking and asked for 500$.

Let's see if they end up needing us, I'll see if we can be seated together (not the case on DL400).
Are you saying that you're on the plane already? I don't think they'll probably end up needing you to volunteer then... unless you're flying UA today
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Interesting question:
I recently booked a flight FWA-DTW-SEA in Y. Cost of the ticket was ~$450. A detailed breakdown of the cost (for calculating sky miles), showed that the FWA-DTW portion of the flight was only $9, and that most of the cost was on the DTW-SEA leg, with the remainder going to taxes.

Does that mean that if DL wanted to IDB me for the FWA-DTW leg on the way home, I would legally only be owed $36 (4x$9) because that is what 400% of the ticket price was?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Are you saying that you're on the plane already? I don't think they'll probably end up needing you to volunteer then... unless you're flying UA today
No no, I'm at the gate !
Looks like 16 pax are still waiting for a seat so they will need us.
The GA offered 2 seats on the 18:46 flight so 3 hours late if they need us.
Boarding has started and I was told to wait, I think we are the #1 volunteers.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by weflyhigh9
Technically, they haven't in years. Meal vouchers aren't intended for denied boarding compensation. You get whatever is negotiated. Some airports wouldn't include meal vouchers in their denied boarding compensation offers. It's a fluid negotiation process.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Widgets
Technically, they haven't in years. Meal vouchers aren't intended for denied boarding compensation. You get whatever is negotiated. Some airports wouldn't include meal vouchers in their denied boarding compensation offers. It's a fluid negotiation process.
This is why you print an extra boarding pass and write down what you want on the back including meals and if you want first class on new flights
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
This is why you print an extra boarding pass and write down what you want on the back including meals and if you want first class on new flights
Don't forget to also write down that you don't want a beating. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:06 pm

Don't forget to also write down that you don't want a beating. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
I bit over the top..wouldn't you say. No one was "beat". Of course...Delta would never/hasn't ever had someone forcibly removed.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:09 pm

And some do....it's that d*** consistency thing again....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Scored $1,200 LGA-DFW by being bumped off 09:15 and taking 15:00!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Sorry if this is asked and answered, but when you use a voucher gained from VDB, do you earn MQDs and MQMs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.