Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
Originally Posted by SamOF
Even if they can't the diamond desk usually can. In that situation I'd say you'll want to move the return but offer to have the diamond desk do it.
good to know. Thanks! I’ll keep y’all posted. Destination is FAI, with the A220 up and back, and 763 lie flats on the way back tomorrow. It’d have to be a sweet bump to make up for that :-)
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:47 am

They will usually accommodate a VDB but more often than not they do not end up needing your seat for a variety of reasons so be prepared but don’t bank on it.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Nov 9, 2019 at 10:57 am
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TYSDoc
Apologies if this has been covered before- can’t seem to find the answer up thread.

ATL-SEA looks oversold today. But I’m on an outbound MR with immediate turn around at my destination and very limited flights SEA-x-SEA. If I volunteer, can the GA modify the return segments, or do i ditch the MR and makes my way home with cash in hand?
They'll modify; if you're flying a shorter distance, they can request ORC. (That is, they can't grant it, but they can put in the record that they offered it. I did that when taking a bump from DFW-SLC (-JFK) and getting re-routed DFW-LGA. I called in after I arrived and got ORC because it was in the record.)
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
They'll modify; if you're flying a shorter distance, they can request ORC. (That is, they can't grant it, but they can put in the record that they offered it. I did that when taking a bump from DFW-SLC (-JFK) and getting re-routed DFW-LGA. I called in after I arrived and got ORC because it was in the record.)
ORC doesn't need to be asked for at gate. DL by policy will grant it if asked.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ORC doesn't need to be asked for at gate. DL by policy will grant it if asked.
good to know. i had assumed if I volunteered and the new flights arrived after my return had left i would be SOL. Anyway, today’s ATL-SEA was initially not oversold, then by 2 with payload optimization, then volunteers not needed. Joy... at least i got a battlefield upgrade thanks to a no show.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Picked up $500 last night because my BOS-MCI flight was weight-restricted. They needed five volunteers originally; ended up just needing four. Gave me a room at the Hilton, $15 meal voucher, and the first flight out today. Even got to keep my first class seat!
alanstar, LoganFlyer and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by kstateinALB
Picked up $500 last night because my BOS-MCI flight was weight-restricted. They needed five volunteers originally; ended up just needing four. Gave me a room at the Hilton, $15 meal voucher, and the first flight out today. Even got to keep my first class seat!
$500 for overnight is low. (And where can you eat for $15?)
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
RDU-DTW ended up needing 2 after being oversold by 4 initially. 600 for a later flight and 1000 for an overnight.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:44 am

got a double bump a few weeks ago. $500 for the first to get in about 5 hours later, with a connection through msp instead of direct. Walked down to the msp flight, got bumped on that one to a later one for $400, so instead of sitting in msp for those 5 hours, I sat in DTW instead. Still got to my destination on the same flight as the original bump. I like the option to get amazon gc's instead, so Christmas for the nieces and nephews is covered this year.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
The line to volunteer was 10 deep behind me, so truthfully I felt that $500 was better than $0 of not getting picked. I can get most of my Christmas shopping covered by Delta, so no complaints over here.

I wasn't too concerned about the $15 - I've usually gotten two to cover breakfast and lunch, but I had already been confirmed to F so I didn't make a big deal over it.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I disagree provided you're on the first flight out. Last year I volunteered off the last BOS-RDU of the night and got onto the first the next morning. Instead of getting home at midnight I got home at 7:30 AM. I'd gladly do that for $500 as it's a difference of sleep here or sleep there.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kstateinALB
The line to volunteer was 10 deep behind me, so truthfully I felt that $500 was better than $0 of not getting picked. I can get most of my Christmas shopping covered by Delta, so no complaints over here.
Exactly -- with lots of volunteers, you can't be greedy. If you have the time.
A few years back DTW-SEA, offer was $500, I asked $700, GA said she couldn't do it. Then she came to me after I'd boarded and offered $800, the Westin at the airport and FC on the first flight of the morning. My meeting wasn't starting in Seattle until noon anyhow so it worked out fine.
The Hyatt Olive in SEA even let me cancel the first night of my reservation because I'd been bumped.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by CMK10
I disagree provided you're on the first flight out. Last year I volunteered off the last BOS-RDU of the night and got onto the first the next morning. Instead of getting home at midnight I got home at 7:30 AM. I'd gladly do that for $500 as it's a difference of sleep here or sleep there.
My rule-of-thumb is $100 per hour that I arrive at my final destination late. Overnights are rare for me, but when they hvae happened, they have been $1000 minimum in the last couple years.

$500 for 7.5 hours is borderline, but I likely would have taken it and run, especially given a crappy night of sleep in either situation.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
YYZ-ATL

DL2551 615a YYZ-ATL. Just took $1000 to go on the 1029am. The 7:45 AM was already full. Was originally booked this morning as Z first class.

Interesting data point, I walked up to the counter at 5:15a exactly 1 hour before departure having already been asked about volunteer at check in. She processed the whole thing right then and there, no waiting until departure, put me on the next flight and issued the compensation. Said they were 12 overbooked. I guess they had a high level of confidence they needed me!
alanstar, LoganFlyer and jjmoore like this.

Last edited by Utskicat; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:00 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My wife was heading home tonight ATL-EYW on a E175 that was overbooked by 9. She and 8 others Key Westers (no tourists were biting) took the offer when it reached $1500, a hotel and confirmed first flight out in the morning. That was one expensive mistake.
LoganFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.