Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I would say $600 is pretty stingy for having to overnight and take a 24 hour delay.

Most offers I see on UA for similar circumstances are between $1000 - $2500.
I bid on the low side hoping it would go higher at the gate. No dice, mine ended up being the highest bid. But it was only a 24 hour delay because I requested it. They offered me the first flight Monday morning but I had a conference call I didn't want to miss so I asked for something later in the day. But you're still right; typically I get at least $800 for anything overnight.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:19 pm

I would say $600 is pretty stingy for having to overnight and take a 24 hour delay.

Why offer more than the amount that someone will accept. Unless I've missed the arm twisting.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I bid on the low side hoping it would go higher at the gate. No dice, mine ended up being the highest bid. But it was only a 24 hour delay because I requested it. They offered me the first flight Monday morning but I had a conference call I didn't want to miss so I asked for something later in the day. But you're still right; typically I get at least $800 for anything overnight.
You should watch the Price Is Right more often. Always bid $1. I can promise you...I never leave with a dollar.

BTW, just scored $1000 x 3 for my wife, daughter, and myself on SLC-PIT a few weeks ago.
Ordhater likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
9/9/19 - PSC-SEA - Asked for 2 but needed 1 for $500, Got in 6 hours late, Kept F upgrade for the whole route to BUF.
9/9/19 - PSC-MSP Needed 1 for $600, someone else.

I usually ask for $500 and most GA know and like me and make me first choice regardless, I know the drill and understand options so they prefer me.

Some are saying they bid low to get the bump and count on the price going up with later volunteers. Good strategy if you know that others will bid up the price but if they are only looking for one you are stuck with your low bid.

Last edited by Paplover; Sep 10, 2019 at 8:12 pm
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:35 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Paplover
Some are saying they bid low to get the bump and count on the price going up with later volunteers. Good strategy if you know that others will bid up the price but if they are only looking for one you are stuck with your low bid.
You are never stuck with your low bid. It is never final until they tell you the options to get you to your destination and you accept then.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by fti
You are never stuck with your low bid. It is never final until they tell you the options to get you to your destination and you accept then.
I never volunteer any $ amount without already having done my own research and knowing what my options are.
fti likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:15 pm

Generally I bid high get there first on the list, and make friends with GA. The other day a girl and I had a bump together, we were chatting and she informed me she bid $200 while I bid $500. Unfortunately They did not need her and she was asked to go on the plane. I still left with my $500 bid as I was first on list. This is where bidding high comes in handy. If I had bid lower I would not have the extra money in my pocket
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I always bid $200 and the lowest I've gotten so far is $500
fti likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by weflyhigh9
Generally I bid high get there first on the list, and make friends with GA. The other day a girl and I had a bump together, we were chatting and she informed me she bid $200 while I bid $500. Unfortunately They did not need her and she was asked to go on the plane. I still left with my $500 bid as I was first on list. This is where bidding high comes in handy. If I had bid lower I would not have the extra money in my pocket
Being first doesn't always guarantee you'll be "chosen". The GA can take take anyone who volunteers in whatever order.
Since the GA had two amounts and only needed one volunteer, was the GA being fair to Delta by giving you more than the lowest bid?
fti likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others

Does UA offer gift cards or only vouchers for their tickets?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I never volunteer any $ amount without already having done my own research and knowing what my options are.
I know what my options were when I checked, and what other unavailable flights there were just in case.

But it turns out they won't rebook me on a sold-out flight even if they're still selling tickets on it.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Amex gift card data point

Amex gift card data point

Took a bump JFK-SLC for $700.

Selected Amex gift card on 12 Sept and received today the 17th.

Note the $700 credit arrived as two $100 and one $500 gift card. The funds expire after six months.

So unless I dump the total balance into an Amazon account I'm juggling three gift cards and the balances.

I know, first world problems.

As a conscientious flyertalker, I won't use the balance on Delta airfare because Amex plat gives 5 MR points per dollar
and won't use it on Hilton charges because of my Amex Surpass card.

Jim
jjmoore likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I know what my options were when I checked, and what other unavailable flights there were just in case.

But it turns out they won't rebook me on a sold-out flight even if they're still selling tickets on it.
Generally true, but not always. If I have data showing that a flight that is sold out/oversold, I do not propose it as an alternative, but I have had GAs/redcoats suggest them. Lot of factors including how desperate they are for volunteers, how much the GA likes you, how fed up the GA is with their employer, frequency of flights and likelihood of no-shows come into play.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Today seems lucrative at MSP. I have taken two and heard neighbor gates soliciting too.

MSP-CVG, took 3 at $300 for a 90 minute delay, one needed - me

MSP-CVG, took 3 at $500 for 3.5 hour delay, two needed

I took a third for a total of $1100 for 6.5 delay. A fourth was available but that would have been too disruptive.

Last edited by Exiled in Express; Sep 20, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: DL
Last night for BOS-CVG, they needed 3 volunteers and ended up offering $2,000. I went up to the GA when it was at $1,100 but they gave me the highest bid. They kept raising the bid until they had two more volunteers. It quickly went from $1,100 to $2,000 when no one went to the GA.

Got home at 10 am this morning instead of 10 pm last night, well worth $2,000 in Amex gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.