Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Utskicat
DL2551 615a YYZ-ATL. Just took $1000 to go on the 1029am.
USD or CAD?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:56 am

I have had 5 VDB bumps at YYZ over the past 2 years and they have all been in USD. There are more payment choices for US residents.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
USD or CAD?
DL vouchers are always USD.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
The other night, DTW-EWR was oversold by 3 and got up to $600 before they got enough takers.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
MSP-SEA on Monday morning was oversold by five. Ended up only needing two, but got $600 for it to take the next flight. Sounded like they were oversold much of the morning.
LoganFlyer and jjmoore like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
USD or CAD?
Like others have said, it was USD. Interesting addition to the story...I got the email before the next flight left. It was $900 instead of $1000. The same agent was working my new flight so I approached her and politely showed he the email on my phone and said that we had agreed on $1000, not $900. She appologized profusely. She said the other Y class volunteers got $900 and she just messed up the data entry on mine. She said she would fix it. During the YYZ-ATL flight I was online and got a second email. She issued the additional voucher for $300! I guess she felt really bad that she messed up or was nervous that I would complain as a Diamond. So the total was $1200 in the end!
jjmoore likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Like others have said, it was USD. Interesting addition to the story...I got the email before the next flight left. It was $900 instead of $1000. The same agent was working my new flight so I approached her and politely showed he the email on my phone and said that we had agreed on $1000, not $900. She appologized profusely. She said the other Y class volunteers got $900 and she just messed up the data entry on mine. She said she would fix it. During the YYZ-ATL flight I was online and got a second email. She issued the additional voucher for $300! I guess she felt really bad that she messed up or was nervous that I would complain as a Diamond. So the total was $1200 in the end!
$300 might be the smallest amount they can offer. But I thought everybody was supposed to get the same.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
$300 might be the smallest amount they can offer. But I thought everybody was supposed to get the same.
I have seen $200 many times, so I don't think there is a min. I agree on the same comp policy...only difference was I was giving up a paid First Class seat (not upgraded), so maybe she saw that as a difference?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
JFK - ATL

JFK to ATL was oversold by 1, offered $500 and they needed me, was surprised since the flight was delayed an hour which usually results in one person changing. Got in 2.5 hours later than planned.
LoganFlyer and jjmoore like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:31 pm

YYZ>ATL needed 4 volunteers on 12/18. $800 voucher each.
LoganFlyer and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
YYZ>ATL needed 4 volunteers on 12/18. $800 voucher each.
What time, what was the alternative offered?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:26 am

What time, what was the alternative offered?
12:15pm. Could go later or next day.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Equipment change on my flight tomorrow (Friday Dec 20 - YYZ-SLC) and they were calling around on Tuesday offering 25k Skymiles or $250 voucher per person.

We took 25k Skymiles each, since 20k Skymiles is worth about $600 to us when redeeming on WS domestic Canadian flights... probably could've gotten more at the gate, but we also got better flights than we had before and exit row seating (this is all on a basic economy tix).
RobOnLI likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Equipment change on my flight tomorrow (Friday Dec 20 - YYZ-SLC) and they were calling around on Tuesday offering 25k Skymiles or $250 voucher per person.

We took 25k Skymiles each, since 20k Skymiles is worth about $600 to us when redeeming on WS domestic Canadian flights... probably could've gotten more at the gate, but we also got better flights than we had before and exit row seating (this is all on a basic economy tix).
AND you didn’t have to schlep to the airport and go through security and customs!
jjmoore and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1

These situations are always the best outcome... usually get paid to have nicer seats, a reward, and still get in around the same time.

At the gate, there is always the possibility to get a much higher offer, but will require sacrificing time, and the risk of not needing anyone at all, meaning no payday whatsoever.

Nice catch.
SoroSuub1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.