Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
^^^^^^^ to the FA's for upgrading someone willing to give their life in defense of this country.

I'm sorry BerlinFlyer, but in my mind uniformed military trumps a silly card with a funny name that says you fly around a lot.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
^ to the FAs for giving the seat to someone who is risking their life to protect you and our country.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gt_croz
Obviously upgrading soldiers over elites shouldn't be policy, but in a situation like this I give it a big ^
+1
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
I have offered my upgrade to members of our military which of course is my choice so I honestly don't have a problem with FA doing it, especially in the spirit of the holidays.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Technically, you lose your shot at the upgrade once you board. However, if the GA is going to make the effort to come on board and move someone up, it seems to me that person should be the person who was #1 in line, rather than the GA/FA's (albeit patriotic) whim.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1P, A|Club G, DL SM, SPG G
Originally Posted by gt_croz
I have a hard time getting outraged over something like this. Yeah, protocol was broken, but it wasn't like they upgraded a non-rev over a FF; it was a soldier. Those guys go through unimaginable hell every day they are deployed. Four hours up front is a real treat to them, and a very nice gesture from Delta.

Plus, it's been stated that anyone who boards the plane before they've been upgraded is basically surrendering their upgrade chances.

Obviously, upgrading soldiers over elites shouldn't be policy, but in a situation like this I give it a big ^
They get paid for their job and there certainly isn't a draft.

Upgrading military because we lionize anybody in a uniform is a ridiculous practice.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:59 am

seriously dude....this is a solider that represented your country (US) and DL wants to give him/her a treat as a token of appreciation... i dont see anything wrong with that
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
seriously dude....this is a solider that represented your country (US) and DL wants to give him/her a treat as a token of appreciation... i dont see anything wrong with that
Why stop at military? Why not cops, firefighters, etc. too?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:04 pm

Dude, Forget about the seat next to you. You mean you sat up front and did not offer your seat to a military guy in uniform? .
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
That soldier was probably the most or at least one of the most grateful people sitting up front on that flight.

As an Afghanistan alumna, I'm glad to see they did this even if it is not policy. Military benefits are decent and we volunteer to serve, but that does not make it stink any less at times....figuratively and literally.

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pryde987
They get paid for their job and there certainly isn't a draft.

Upgrading military because we lionize anybody in a uniform is a ridiculous practice.
Have you seen what they get paid? A staff sgt with 6 years of experience has a base pay of under $34k. Compare that to the risk they take. Yes they volunteered. They volunteered to risk their lives to defend the United States.

A little treat of flying first class once in awhile is the least we can give them.

Last edited by dagowolf; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Well, I do appreciate what soldiers are doing, however, it is their own decision to join the military, they are not forced into that job. If DL's UG list goes by "amount of service" or "dangerous jobs", they should also upgrade firefighters, police officers and the like.

If someone offers his/her FC seat to a soldier in uniform - fine! I did that in the past and I feel it is the choice of the passenger in FC to offer the seat to a soldier, but I cannot agree with the FA's to ignore the regular UG procedure.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by berlinflyer

to the FA's for ignoring their most loyal customers.
You are kidding right? Surely this is a joke? I will gladly give up my V class for a soldier.

They may volunteer to become soldiers but when they talk about battlefield upgrades they include items such as IED's and bullets for a couple thousand dollars a year. The deserve the respect if the crew decides to upgrade two of them so be it.

Last edited by WesNSpace; Dec 3, 2010 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
some people's true colors are really showing in this thread
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
That soldier was probably the most or at least one of the most grateful people sitting up front on that flight.

As an Afghanistan alumna, I'm glad to see they did this even if it is not policy. Military benefits are decent and we volunteer to serve, but that does not make it stink any less at times....figuratively and literally.
This translates to deserving the seat ahead of over 35 passengers who have, according to published terms of the program Delta uses to convince them to remain customers, reason to expect that they might be sitting up there if a seat becomes available? How, exactly?

If 21A wanted to give up the seat, there's nothing stopping him from doing so. I fail to see how mandatory tribute to the military (or to one soldier) gets a thumbs up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.